autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating

Personally, I wouldn’t wash that huge black SUV with anything less than 12 mitts. Are you ready for 12 mitt washes? Have you thought about the fact that it’s going to need this kind of way of doing things or it’s not going to be perfect for long...

I know a thing or 2 about maintaining a huge brand new SUV in perfect swirl free condition. And you better do it right or it’s not going to stay perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by Donnation View Post
    I know how to maintain a vehicle and how to hand wash. It’s getting the swirls off a vehicle that I can’t do. I’ve been driving company vehicles for a few years and purchased this one with the swirls and wanted them removed. After that i can maintain.
    Ok I was just making sure...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread perfectly illustrates a deeply concerning trend emerging in the professional detailing industry... Shops that consistently put out subpar quality work are branding themselves as "certified" installers of various well known ceramic coating brands. They are disguising themselves as high-end detailing service providers (with prices to match) by attaching a well known "luxury coating" brand name to their business and calling themselves "certified installers."

The problem is that the level of service advertised by these highly marketed ceramic coating brands does not necessarily transfer down to their installer network.

So you walk in... you've already seen the videos of "XYZ 12H" coating brand. The vehicles from the coating brand ads look amazing and so you assume that since this particular shop has been "certified" by a well known coating brand that you can expect the same level of service as depicted in the advertisements. The problem is that there has been no training to become certified. The shop becomes "certified" simply from buying the coatings.

In the various videos you've shown there is evidence of lack of proper paint correction, poor detailing work, and the coatings are not even leveled properly. So they literally botched the entire job they were paid to perform. I've seen this way too often from local shops offering the same brand coating. It's unfortunate, because these examples will eventually cause a general distrust towards detailing providers who actually are offering high quality services.

What I hate most is that coating brands like Ceramic Pro are explicitly enabling these types of situations. Detailing shops are now able to piggy back on the success of the ceramic brand's marketing and hide behind the merits of the larger brand. The high focus on branding as a "certified installer" creates inflated expectations of the quality the shop is able to deliver and dupes unsuspecting consumers into thinking they are providing a level of service they are not capable of producing. The end result is hundreds, if not thousands, of stories exactly like this. You paid a price for an advertised result. The shop is literally not even capable of delivering what they advertised due to lack of proper skill, knowledge, passion, etc. so they "did the best they can" because that is actually the best they can do.

I'm sorry for the rant.. I'm not really sure what can be done to battle this trend other than personally striving to produce excellent results on every vehicle my team and I touch. I suppose most of the responsibility falls on the consumer. But again, it's extremely difficult to determine if the detailing shop you are considering can do what they say since there is no industry standard for paint correction or anything really in the detailing world. The bottom line is shops like this have no business offering "pro-grade" ceramic coatings and brands like Ceramic Pro have no business using language like "certified installer" since there is no certification process to speak of anyway.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

4. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, BillE, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    This thread perfectly illustrates a deeply concerning trend emerging in the professional detailing industry... Shops that consistently put out subpar quality work are branding themselves as "certified" installers of various well known ceramic coating brands. They are disguising themselves as high-end detailing service providers (with prices to match) by attaching a well known "luxury coating" brand name to their business and calling themselves "certified installers."

The problem is that the level of service advertised by these highly marketed ceramic coating brands does not necessarily transfer down to their installer network.

So you walk in... you've already seen the videos of "XYZ 12H" coating brand. The vehicles from the coating brand ads look amazing and so you assume that since this particular shop has been "certified" by a well known coating brand that you can expect the same level of service as depicted in the advertisements. The problem is that there has been no training to become certified. The shop becomes "certified" simply from buying the coatings.

In the various videos you've shown there is evidence of lack of proper paint correction, poor detailing work, and the coatings are not even leveled properly. So they literally botched the entire job they were paid to perform. I've seen this way too often from local shops offering the same brand coating. It's unfortunate, because these examples will eventually cause a general distrust towards detailing providers who actually are offering high quality services.

What I hate most is that coating brands like Ceramic Pro are explicitly enabling these types of situations. Detailing shops are now able to piggy back on the success of the ceramic brand's marketing and hide behind the merits of the larger brand. The high focus on branding as a "certified installer" creates inflated expectations of the quality the shop is able to deliver and dupes unsuspecting consumers into thinking they are providing a level of service they are not capable of producing. The end result is hundreds, if not thousands, of stories exactly like this. You paid a price for an advertised result. The shop is literally not even capable of delivering what they advertised due to lack of proper skill, knowledge, passion, etc. so they "did the best they can" because that is actually the best they can do.

I'm sorry for the rant.. I'm not really sure what can be done to battle this trend other than personally striving to produce excellent results on every vehicle my team and I touch. I suppose most of the responsibility falls on the consumer. But again, it's extremely difficult to determine if the detailing shop you are considering can do what they say since there is no industry standard for paint correction or anything really in the detailing world. The bottom line is shops like this have no business offering "pro-grade" ceramic coatings and brands like Ceramic Pro have no business using language like "certified installer" since there is no certification process to speak of anyway.
    Incredibly well put.

Exactly what came to mind, presented more succinctly. Thank you.

6. Thanks AutowerxDetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The original quote of 1700 to properly correct and coat that SUV is right on par providing the job was well done. Which it obviously wasn't up to par.

That being said a thorough 2 step correction and my top tier coating would have easily been 1800+. That being said 3500 to fix is a bit steep but I'm not sure how easily that particular coating is to remove. But in my experience a good cut with a microfiber cutting pad and something like Meguiars M100 would remove it. Followed up with a finishing polish and it's good to go. Most black GM I do either Meguiars M100 or 3D ONE with microfiber cutting pad followed by Hyper polish and Rupes yellow pad.

Good luck and I hope the forum member can get it done.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I mean really,do you have to get it done right this minute?

Let it ride through winter at least. It simply has to look half way decent now, maybe not perfect, but that is some serious money.

Douse it with a hose if you doubt there is a coating on it.

At this point I would be more worried about upkeep, geesh

I am addicted to this dang thread.
    It's like watching Alex Smith's leg injury. As gruesome as it is you just have to keep watching it. 😂😂😂
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    It's like watching Alex Smith's leg injury. As gruesome as it is you just have to keep watching it. Feel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coatingFeel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coatingFeel like I was duped here with detailing and ceramic coating
    Lol. Well the only reason I was wanting to get it done now is that I still have a company vehicle and can leave it with someone as I don’t have to drive it yet. It’s just easier than trying to do it as I’d have to rent a car after December as I won’t be able to keep the company vehicle beyond Dec 31st.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Well the only reason I was wanting to get it done now is that I still have a company vehicle and can leave it with someone as I don’t have to drive it yet. It’s just easier than trying to do it as I’d have to rent a car after December as I won’t be able to keep the company vehicle beyond Dec 31st.
    I get that.
    If I remember it has 2 layers of Ceramic Pro and you have plenty of current pics, now would be the opportune moment to perfect your maintenance routine on a coated car.

When you get it done correctly you will be convinced what you are doing maintenance wise is grade A.

Then spend the money to have it done.

It's like getting free new tires but the sidewall doesn't look good enough. They work perfectly but you would rather get the Contis for 1600 because they look better.

12. Likes Donnation liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to take it to a forum member this week. A local detailer (not above) said he can fix it but will have to strip off the coating and essentially start over. He said it would be $3500????? Is that even remotely correct? This is exterior detail only and he said its so expensive because he has to take off the existing coating, properly paint correct it and clean up the other guys mess, then re-coat it.
    I thought you already had it set up with a member on here to get it fixed? If you have got all of your information from this forum on what to do. Why would you venture off to another unknown detailer? IMHO if you go to a detailer that is not on this forum. You will either get burned on the price or you will have the same thing happen all over again. You only have so much clear. God only knows how much clear Trumps personal detailer took off the two times he had it.

Anywhere else you take it to they are going to see what you paid $1,700 for already and hear your story. So they think that you will pay a ton more money for better work and to have it fixed.

Just stick with the guy you talked to on here.

14. Thanks Donnation thanked for this post
    Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshisa View Post
    Perfect. Get one of the forum’s pros opinion, make a call to your CC company on fraud activity, get your money back and get someone who knows what they do to work on the car. Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I am no lawyer but I really don't think you can do that. You should speak to a lawyer before claiming a fraud on your Credit Card. The work may not be to your satisfaction but the work was done, twice. I am not sure what options are open to you, but as far as I know credit card fraud claims are used when the credit was used without your consent or for amounts you did not agree to. The credit card company may be able to inform you about your options too.

16. Likes custmsprty, MomNPop liked this post
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast