autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about wash/dry technique with ONR/OS, and can you recommend decent microfiber drying towels?

Hi all, I'd like to copy this person's washing technique: My ONR Maintenance Procedure - Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine - Optimum Forum

The video says they use the Twistress microfiber towels, these are $12 each for 20x24 for 3 of them including shipping. Do you have any alternative you like that I can get off Amazon? The poster mentions using 1000 gsm for towel.

In these videos I have watched about Optiseal all use Optiseal during the drying phase (after washing, claybar). Is that normal application? This promotional video (YouTube) says you can do it either way. Any preference?

And lastly, I shouldn't have to be claying after every wash, correct? Just the first one. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about wash/dry technique with ONR/OS, and can you recommend decent microfiber drying towels?

Luxury MicrofibersQuestion about wash/dry technique with ONR/OS, and can you recommend decent microfiber drying towels?Question about wash/dry technique with ONR/OS, and can you recommend decent microfiber drying towels?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about wash/dry technique with ONR/OS, and can you recommend decent microfiber drying towels?

I’ve used Opti-Seal both ways. The funny thing is when I first bought it years ago, there was no mention of using it as a drying aid. The directions on Autogeek still only says to wipe it on and let it be. No need to wipe off unless there were high spots. If you use it as a drying aid and to save a step, I don’t think you’ll get as much protection since its mixing with the water still on the car and probably bring diluted. Just my opinion. It would be interesting to see a comparison video of the longevity of the two methods.

No recommendations on drying towels. I probably need to replace the ones that I’m using.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I’ve used Opti-Seal both ways. The funny thing is when I first bought it years ago, there was no mention of using it as a drying aid. The directions on Autogeek still only says to wipe it on and let it be. No need to wipe off unless there were high spots. If you use it as a drying aid and to save a step, I don’t think you’ll get as much protection since its mixing with the water still on the car and probably bring diluted. Just my opinion. It would be interesting to see a comparison video of the longevity of the two methods.

No recommendations on drying towels. I probably need to replace the ones that I’m using.
    I think the first application I would do wash/clay/apply when dry. And then afterwards can do it with the drying to replenish or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xilex View Post
    I think the first application I would do wash/clay/apply when dry. And then afterwards can do it with the drying to replenish or something.
    That sounds like a good plan

Post Thanks / Like

I do use drying aids, such as Meguiar's D156, Duragloss AW, or various QD's often, but I'm a bit leery about using my best drying towels (GG PFM) with any drying aid, feeling that doing so may compromise the absorbency with repeated use. If I'm using a drying aid, first I do a quick wipe with a decent drying towel to remove heavier water, not attempting at all to get a panel completely dry. Then I apply my drying aid to a still-damp panel and wipe dry with either one of my more absorbent plush MF towels or one of my waffle weaves that have been demoted since I got the PFM's. I've only used Optiseal a few times, but my usual procedure worked for OS as well.
    By definition, a drying aid's purpose is to make drying easier, so a top-shelf drying towel shouldn't be necessary.

Bill