autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What lambs wool is everyone using?

I am going to pick up some lambs wool pads soon. I noticed AG offers several different brands. Just curious what everyone is using as far as lambs wool?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What lambs wool is everyone using?

I really don’t use many. Twisted wool on the rotary for serious jobs. LC foamed wool is my next step down. Then foam pads as required. With modern compounds, that’s about all I need.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I really don’t use many. Twisted wool on the rotary for serious jobs. LC foamed wool is my next step down. Then foam pads as required. With modern compounds, that’s about all I need.
    That’s pretty much my setup now. I’ve never really tried the lambs wool pads. But I’ve always wondered how they would do. I know they won’t cut like a twisted wool. But I’ve read of people getting good results out of them.

Mike Phillips

The trend I've seen is for more of the very soft, fluffy lambswool pads that can be used on either orbital polishers or rotary polishers.

So far, none of these types of "wool" pads have caused me to jump ship and start using them. If I need to cut? Then I want to cut and I'm going to use a real i.e. normal twisted wool cutting pad on a rotary polisher/buffer.

The new style wool pads look soft and fluffy and they cut soft and fluffy.

I've been told these are the types of wool pads the guys in Europe use? That doesn't make it best or fastest in my book.

Do they work? Yes. I'd suggest getting one of them and making up your own mind.

Me? I've been working with LC to make a new, smaller twisted wool pad for the new generation of smaller, lightweight rotary buffers. You can see a prototype pad in my review here,

Battery Time - FLEX Cordless Polishers - Real World Detail by Mike Phillips at Autogeek

These is heavy cutting....

Currently I don't think there are any 5.5" or 6.5" twisted wool pads for sale anywhere, this will be a new item for our market.

I think I have an article on this somewhere?

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schlegel Round Up Part 875B, 1 1/4 pile for me. I used to paint cars and motorcycles for a living in my younger days and I still have about 20 of these around. At the rate I use them now that's probably a lifetime supply for me.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The trend I've seen is for more of the very soft, fluffy lambswool pads that can be used on either orbital polishers or rotary polishers.

So far, none of these types of "wool" pads have caused me to jump ship and start using them. If I need to cut? Then I want to cut and I'm going to use a real i.e. normal twisted wool cutting pad on a rotary polisher/buffer.

The new style wool pads look soft and fluffy and they cut soft and fluffy.

I've been told these are the types of wool pads the guys in Europe use? That doesn't make it best or fastest in my book.

Do they work? Yes. I'd suggest getting one of them and making up your own mind.

Me? I've been working with LC to make a new, smaller twisted wool pad for the new generation of smaller, lightweight rotary buffers. You can see a prototype pad in my review here,

Battery Time - FLEX Cordless Polishers - Real World Detail by Mike Phillips at Autogeek

These is heavy cutting....

Currently I don't think there are any 5.5" or 6.5" twisted wool pads for sale anywhere, this will be a new item for our market.

I think I have an article on this somewhere?

I was expecting cut to be somewhat less than a microfiber pad. I just thought it would be useful to have in my lineup. I am not expecting it to cut like a twisted wool and finish out perfect. I thought it would be useful to have in a case where more than foam is needed but not quite a microfiber pad is needed.

A 5” or 6” face twisted wool would be awesome. I would prefer one to a the 8” or 9”. I have looked for awhile for one. With no real luck. I will definitely be a buyer when you do get it sorted out.
    Thanks for your help Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Schlegel Round Up Part 875B, 1 1/4 pile for me. I used to paint cars and motorcycles for a living in my younger days and I still have about 20 of these around. At the rate I use them now that's probably a lifetime supply for me.

I check those out.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes wool pads are quite nice. I use both the blue and the yellow. While they don’t cut as hard as a twisted wool or MF pad, they don’t generate anywhere near as much heat.
    The LC low lint wool are nice also.

Post Thanks / Like

The wool pads useally used in Sweden is like the pictures I show. And they are not going to beat a rotary and a twisted wool pad in cut. But these are for those that only have DA polisher. And want to get close to the cut the twisted wool pads and rotary combo can do. I have the twisted wool/acrylic pads in 75mm and 130mm. They deliver an awesome cut but leaves a lot of micro marring after them. And they work very well on cyclo type polisher with short throw and on the 8mm free spinning DA. The coned short haired wool pads on the second picture. Is for longthrow polishers and there they gets even closer to the rotary twisted wool combo. And the third picture is the microwool pads. That is used on either heat sensitive paints or when you are polishing with AIO or one step polishing. Which gives you a great cut with a good finish still.

The biggest reason I think we use this wool pads is cause we have a lot of cars with oem hard clearcoats. And that it's very common to use the swirlomatic car washes. So when people looking for a change to take care of their cars and starts to want them as swirl free as possible. The normal foam cutting pads and compound on the most common polisher. Which is copies of the cyclo polisher. They don't even make a dent on the damages.

But in the later years I think that the compounds has gotten more effective to cut and finish. And there has come more effective DA polishers too. That the average Joe can be getting relatively easy with some googling and reading and buy online. The benefit with wool cutting pads on the DA is that you don't get the heat on the paint that you get with foam and mf pads. Because of this even in asia the wool pads are getting more popular.

Mike Phillips what do you think about the Rupes blue wool pad and the yellow wool pad?
    The yellow wool pad has been a lot of great experience with for many people. And that's when doing light cutting and want to finish great too.
    Sonax has a wool pad that AGO carries that looks like those wool pads without any foam interface on them that are also common here. Could be an option to try them out.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Here are some 6.5 inch pads. I like these.

6.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad

I would love to see smaller sizes. I have some 3 inch twisted wool pads that are extremely handy. I’d love to see a 5 or 5.5 inch wool pad tho. Great work Mike on this suggestion!!!!!!
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast