autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New car and moving from Zaino to Ceramic

For the last decade I’ve been faithfully using Zaino with multiple coats of Z5 and Z2. I’ve just purchased a new Magnetic Mustang GT and started looking at what new products may be out there. Wow, have things changed.

I’ve ordered CQuarts UK 3.0 from here and plan to apply it this weekend or next. I want to get something on the car ASAP. I’m reading and think I have it well in hand, but figured I’d be sure and ask a few questions.

Historically my 1-2 day routine every 3-6 months has always been;

Wash down
    Clay bar until perfectly smooth.
    Apply ZFX with Z2, Z5 etc etc always finish with Z2.
    Wipe down with Z6.
    Enjoy the shine for 3-4 months.

I’m planning the following;

A. Wash down with Reset
    B. Iron X
    C. Clay Bar.
    D. Light Polish likely by hand but may pickup a DA polisher.
    E. Eraser wipe down
    F. Apply CQuarts UK 3.0
    G. Considering pulling each wheel off, doing above to rims.

my questions.

1. the dealer had already applied ResistAll. I didn’t want it, but when I found the right color, options etc, it was already on it. Will just washing with Reset, iron x and clay pull it off? Or should I consider waiting a few months until it wears off as I suspect it’s junk.
    2. I cannot see any swirls except in one spot on roof, just slightly. From what I read, it’s still appropriate to polish the entire car. Any suggestions on polish! I’ve always loved Z2, but is it worth/appropriate using here? Or something like M205? I hate to use anything given I have virtually no swirls that I can see in bright sun.
    3. From what I’ve read, the 30ml bottle is enough for two coats. Is it worth two coats? Would I have enough to to the wheels?
    4. I’m lost with all the options of MF towels and which to use, when, where. I always used white soft towels with Zaino. Any suggestions! The CQ package I purchased here comes two 3x2 different MF towel sets.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car and moving from Zaino to Ceramic

Welcome to the coatings. I used Zaino for years until I found Autogeek. I have been using Polish Angel Viking coat on my wife’s daily. I just recently did Cquartz 3.0 on my Silverado. It’s a very easy to use product. Couple things that I learned was to order a couple of the Carpro sponges and some extra cloths. I used the gold plush mini ( could be wrong on exact name) microfibres to assist with removal. My truck when I picked it up from the dealer had a basic wax in it. Washed it a couple times with dish soap. Then followed up with the irons, clay and fix a few swirls here and there. I let it cure out in the Sun just after applying then parked it in the garage for a week. The hydrophobic action is in real. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Z2 is not the type of polish that is being referred to when prepping for a coating. Z2 is a sealant, even though Zaino insists on calling it a polish. It will interfere with the bonding of the CQuartz. You are going to have to make sure that the ResistAll has been removed completely. Their website does not make any references to ceramic or SiO2. Only to nanotechnology which just about every product does nowadays. So you had better go over the car with a polish. You may not have a marring yet, but you should be able to notice an improvement in clarity and gloss over the factory finish if you did polish it. You can use the M205 and a white polishing pad. I think that should remove it, but you really need to wipe it down with Eraser more than once if you use M205. A water based polish like one of the HD/3D ones or the Carpro polishes is what I like to use prior to a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    You are going to have to make sure that the ResistAll has been removed completely. Their website does not make any references to ceramic or SiO2. Only to nanotechnology which just about every product does nowadays. So you had better go over the car with a polish.
    Any recommendations other than clay bar and Iron X to ensure I get resistall off? Should I wash with dawn or other type soap first? I'm no sure I understand about the polish though. Are you suggesting I should ensure I go over it with a polish to get ride of Risistall?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn is not going to do anything. Any abrasive polish will remove whatever has been applied by the dealer. I am not familiar with those zaino polishes so if you have M205 then that will get the job done. As mentioned you may need a couple prep wipes with Eraser to remove the oils from M205.

You will remove any light defects as well as imparting gloss on the surface prior to applying the coating. Not to mention a cleaner surface for the coating to attain maximum bond to the paint and allow for better longevity. In the grand scheme of things you will not remove that much clear.

You always have the option of getting CarPro Essence as well.

As far as towels, short nap towels are what I would use. For example the edgeless 300 from the rag company or equivalent. You are going to want to purchase quite a bit of towels as well. One is not going to be enough.

If you are looking for something sold here these would be some to consider

IGL Coating Removal Towels 10 Pack

GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16x16

As far as how many coats of CQUK 3.0. CarPro recommends two coats which can be applied 45-60 min apart. You can get by with one and be fine. If you do two coats you will more than likely have enough to coat the faces of the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    In the grand scheme of things you will not remove that much clear.
    should I be using something less abrasive than M205? The clear coat looks great except the one small swirl I see on the roof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    should I be using something less abrasive than M205? The clear coat looks great except the one small swirl I see on the roof.
    M205 will be just fine if that is what you have. It is a finishing polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done brand new cars all the time with a wash, iron, Clay and carpro essence or 205 as the finishing polish. Anything that dealer has put on, comes up with a polish. Then I lay on the UK, I only do one coat, then usually top with reload an hour later.

That being said, I'm done with coatings on my own cars. Just too much hassle. I'm garaged, so I use a finishing polish annually and then blackfire SI02 spray every quarter and I'm good…
    Glen -

9. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. the dealer had already applied ResistAll. I didn’t want it, but when I found the right color, options etc, it was already on it. Will just washing with Reset, iron x and clay pull it off? Or should I consider waiting a few months until it wears off as I suspect it’s junk.
    I’m no expert on coatings but from what I’ve read and seen, the paint must be near perfect when you apply it or else you will encase the imperfections under the coating. If you drive around for a few months, it’ll be a lot more work to clean up the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    Any recommendations other than clay bar and Iron X to ensure I get resistall off? Should I wash with dawn or other type soap first? I'm no sure I understand about the polish though. Are you suggesting I should ensure I go over it with a polish to get ride of Risistall?

Thanks.
    To ensure that all of the Risistall has been removed, a light polish (using a DA polisher with a fine cutting pad) and a polish containing a mild abrasive should be used. While claying and using an iron remover like Iron X will degrade the Risistall, it will not likely remove it all. It is best to do all 3 ( clay, iron remover, and polish - even on a brand new car) then wipe the car down with a product like Eraser before installing the coating for optimum results.

In the world of Zaino, Dawn dishwashing liquid is suggested to cleanse all prior waxes and sealants from the paint to start with a fresh surface. This is a wives tale and does not work. Dawn simply masks the characteristics of the underlying (old) paint protection product. To truly remove it you will need to polish it off using a mild abrasive polish such as the M205 that has been suggested.

Zaino calls their sealant products (Z2 and Z5) “polish.” Outside of the Zaino nomenclature, a “polish” is defined as a finishing product that is used in the final step of paint correction. You’ll continue to learn the terms used in the world of detailing outside of what Zaino uses by reading this forum.

Post some pictures of the finished product and good luck!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast