autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rust Spot!!! Spray vs Touch Up

Well I got the inevitable rust spot on the ol' Hyundai Sonata... Right on top of the windshield on the roof of the car. It is well maintained and I want to keep rust of the car as long as I can. So, I ground out the old rust and used a 2 part polyester glazing putty to fill and sand with a 600 grit sandpaper. And now I am stuck... Should I spray primer, base, and clear or try and touch up paint over a level spot? Not looking for a Jaguar finish but just prevent the rust from continuing for a few more years. Any tips on what you guys would do? I attached a before filler pic (I ground out a little more after this pic to be safe) and after filler. I am not a auto body technician but with a list of instructions I feel I can tackle it. **First post, please move if I am in the wrong spot.
    Rust Spot!!! Spray vs Touch Up-1-jpgRust Spot!!! Spray vs Touch Up-2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust Spot!!! Spray vs Touch Up

Disclaimer: I am not an autobody expert

To my knowledge the only way to properly fix it permanently is to re prep and re spray the entire panel. That being said I have seen some videos on YT of people using the 2 stage clear coat in a can and re-clearing partial panels to fix failed clear coat with decent results, I don't see why you couldn't do the same with primer, base coat, and clear coat. If you don't do the whole panel though someone who knows about paint work would be able to notice, and won't have the longevity from what Ive read.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infosponge View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not an autobody expert

To my knowledge the only way to properly fix it permanently is to re-prep and re spray the entire panel. That being said I have seen some videos on YT of people using the 2 stage clear coat in a can and re-clearing partial panels to fix failed clear coat with decent results, I don't see why you couldn't do the same with primer, base coat, and clear coat. If you don't do the whole panel though someone who knows about paint work would be able to notice, and won't have the longevity from what Ive read.
    Yeah I figured that is the correct procedure... Just wasn't going to repaint the entire panel based on a thumbprint rust spot. I am fine if you can see it, hell, you could see it with the surface rust. Just wanted to slow it down and protect it. I have spent a lot of time watching youtube videos and looks "simple" enough. My only concern is blending in that small of a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

If your going into it with that attitude I'd give it a shot. Also I did find that video FYI YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

This (to me) is a perfect candidate for using an 'air brush'.

You can, in theory, build up with touch-up paint then GENTLY sand it down...lotza work to make it look perfect-but can be done.

No matter what you use/do...be SURE ALL of the rust is gone. That's tricky area to work on (that rubber edge) is a bear.

Good luck...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    This (to me) is a perfect candidate for using an 'air brush'.

You can, in theory, build up with touch-up paint then GENTLY sand it down...lotza work to make it look perfect-but can be done.

No matter what you use/do...be SURE ALL of the rust is gone. That's tricky area to work on (that rubber edge) is a bear.

Good luck...

Bill
    Actually have a good family friend who owns a body shop who's painter will color match and air brush it in. $75 at most. I do have a remaining question, what would you spray to help prevent the rust from coming back? Most forums say grind, clean, fill, then etch primer? How does it get through the filler?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually at a closer look there is on little spot that has surface rust that is lower on the ridge. I am assuming I can just use a solid rust convert before it goes in for touch up?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a great fix for your friend to spray it for $75. How did that spot start--was it a rock chip that wasn't fixed that grew?

The reason I'm asking is with the proximity to the rain gutter it looks like there may be a little more going on there. What year is the car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think that's a great fix for your friend to spray it for $75. How did that spot start--was it a rock chip that wasn't fixed that grew?

The reason I'm asking is with the proximity to the rain gutter it looks like there may be a little more going on there. What year is the car?
    I pushed down the rain gutter and there is only a speck of rust there. I plan to use a little rust converter over it after trying to sand the spot. I ground off all of the surface rust above, it never pitted and I caught it soon enough. I can take a better picture of what the channel looks like. The car is a 2011. I didn't see a chunk missing like a rock hit it. Just a couple bubbles, not even flaking yet. Maybe sun damage..

The only question is how to slow/stop it. Wondering if I screwed up putting putty over bare metal without rust converter. I feel I got it all ground out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were fine with the putty over the bare metal, what bothers me is there looks to be a seam in the picture of the bare metal repair...if you get a rust bubble that didn't start from the paint coming off from the outside, it usually has come from the inside, which I also notice, you have quite a hollow where you sanded...lot of metal came out, which normally wouldn't be from surface rust.

Anyway, if that rust came from "inside" it's likely to come back however you prep it...but it should be ok for a year or two maybe. Hard for me to tell, not sure exactly where on the car that is, and I'm no expert. I like the color of your car, BTW.

11. Thanks Shermer321 thanked for this post
    Likes Shermer321 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast