autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust Spot!!! Spray vs Touch Up

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think you were fine with the putty over the bare metal, what bothers me is there looks to be a seam in the picture of the bare metal repair...if you get a rust bubble that didn't start from the paint coming off from the outside, it usually has come from the inside, which I also notice, you have quite a hollow where you sanded...lot of metal came out, which normally wouldn't be from surface rust.

Anyway, if that rust came from "inside" it's likely to come back however you prep it...but it should be ok for a year or two maybe. Hard for me to tell, not sure exactly where on the car that is, and I'm no expert. I like the color of your car, BTW.
    I don't know what you mean from the seam? I ground out with a dremel down to bare metal in the shape of a trapezoid, you can kind of tell by where the putty lies. I wanted to go wider than the initial grind. Then roughed up with sandpaper for the putty to stick. It very well might have been a nick I guess I didn't pay attention or take a pic prior. There was nothing wrong with the metal underneath like a pinhole or anything. Just looking for a year or two, its a 2011 Sonata with about 140,000 miles. I may add a little more putty to cover the bare metal portion (obvious low spot). The spot is the top of the windshield on edge of roof and glass rubber surround (pushed down in the picture).

Its not a jag, or large damage, just needed to grind off and recolor to slow it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, now I understand where that is, that's a spot that's pretty easy to get a rock chip. I just see something at the top (of the picture) of the ground spot that looks like a rusty line, that edge of the roof panel has to be welded or soldered to the top of the windshield frame, so there's some sort of joint there. Unless that's just sanding debris that got into the joint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. There is no rust to speak of. Ground absolutely everything. In the grinding picture it was sanding dust. So I ground it out further to guarantee I got outside of the problem area then cleaned. No rusty line, just how the putty filled in. I could probably sand a little more to get the far edge putty cleaned up but I don't feel a ridge at all. I am going to use some rust convert just in case there is a speck I didn't get. Near the rubber gasket is tough to sand, but there wasn't any damage in there from what my eye can tell. I know it will probably rust again in a year or two... Any recommendations on rust convert?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's surface rust and you got it all out it shouldn't rust again. I don't have any recommendations on rust converter, I've never used anything that I liked. Is POR 15 a thing? I think Eastwood has some solutions. The man to talk to about this is Accumulator on Autopia.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think POR15 is a great underlayment for touch up paint or body sprayed paint. I may be wrong though. Would just like to hit a couple spots with a recommended rust converter it before he sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shermer321 View Post
    Actually have a good family friend who owns a body shop who's painter will color match and air brush it in. $75 at most. I do have a remaining question, what would you spray to help prevent the rust from coming back? Most forums say grind, clean, fill, then etch primer? How does it get through the filler?
    I don't think POR15 is a great underlayment for touch up paint or body sprayed paint. I may be wrong though. Would just like to hit a couple spots with a recommended rust converter it before he sprays.
    Since your good family friend is a body man, see what he recommends or maybe he can prep it before being sprayed.

Post Thanks / Like

I would look at some self etching primer or a rust stop primer. And then base coat and clearcoat. Overlap the clearcoat some so you you blend it in a little. AGO has some Würth products but they have more products.

Wurth Self Etch Primer, self etching primer, metal primer paint, primer spray paint

Post Thanks / Like

Actually have a good family friend who owns a body shop who's painter will color match and air brush it in. $75 at most. I do have a remaining question, what would you spray to help prevent the rust from coming back? Most forums say grind, clean, fill, then etch primer? How does it get through the filler?
    That's a great deal. If you had to purchase everything, you'd be WAY over $75.

Just my comments about rust in general...if the rust is/has started from the outside, sand (etc) and use a rust converter. BUT if the rust started from the backside, it's an ongoing problem. In other words, if you can't actually get to the 'birth place' of the rust, the damn stuff just keeps coming back.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12