autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Megs ULW & UFF - Tips for application

Preparing to give my 2006 300c SRT8 (black) it's winter protection. I'll be washing, iron-x'ing, claying, and then spot treating with Megs UC, run Megs UP over her, and then....well that's the question.

My inclination is to apply ULW, wipe off, then apply UFF the next day. But, UFF being a sealant (as is ULW, I think), it seems I should apply UFF first and then apply ULW.

Appreciate you tips or advice here...

Oh, also, can I apply ULW to the whole car at once and then come back and wipe off or should apply to a panel and then wipe off a few minutes later? Been wondering about this....

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megs ULW & UFF - Tips for application

Over on the Meguiar's forum Nick mentioned ULW followed by UFF. According to Nick doing so won't impact the longevity of UFF.

ULW can be applied to the entire vehicle or you can work panel by panel. It is completely up to you.

3. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Over on the Meguiar's forum Nick mentioned ULW followed by UFF. According to Nick doing so won't impact the longevity of UFF.

ULW can be applied to the entire vehicle or you can work panel by panel. It is completely up to you.
    Will the current ULW formula haze or should I be doing a swipe test to determine if it's ready to come off? Or is it simple enough that I can just leave ULW on for as long as like before removing?

Post Thanks / Like

ULW does not haze like a typical wax or sealant. It never has.

Meguiar's Quik Tips Video Series - Ultimate Liquid Wax - A New Application Experience

6. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want a tip, I suggest you pick something more durable for a winter wax. Megs makes some great products but their waxes and sealants truly lack longevity IME.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that ULW was reformulated over a year ago to be more durable.

9. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    If you want a tip, I suggest you pick something more durable for a winter wax. Megs makes some great products but their waxes and sealants truly lack longevity IME.
    It seems to me that most of these products, except for the very expensive ceramic stuff,wax/sealant durability is about the same anyway. But I live in the Portland, OR region where we get a lot of rain, so I stop with stuff like Megs and Griots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMak97008 View Post
    It seems to me that most of these products, except for the very expensive ceramic stuff,wax/sealant durability is about the same anyway. But I live in the Portland, OR region where we get a lot of rain, so I stop with stuff like Megs and Griots.
    Try Collinite 845 or 476. Finish Kare 1000 is another cheap product. All of these have really solid durability.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

915 is another but I did 2 coats of UFF and it was doing great at 4 months

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First, I have about 10 bottles of UFF and I like the stuff. The price has dropped on Amazon to $8.64 and Walmart was getting rid of their stock at $6.00. Both of these are great prices for a bottle. I also highly recommend ULW as it can easily be bought, applied some some direct light and wipes right off plastic and rubber. So I like both of these products.

However, UFF has always confused me. To me, it seems to be another fast synthetic sealant that does not need to be removed, like Opti-Seal. But my research has shown that you apply a synthetic sealant to the paint and then layer a good carnuba wax over it. This was because the sealant chemically bonds to the paint and a carnauba wax can be applied on top without the sealant rubbing off. But Megs states that UFF can be applied this way but also on top of a wax. I'm not sure how/why it would bond to a wax. I'm not convinced that it would not remove the wax when it is applied. I feel a little better about applying something like Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax over wax.

But winter is a different animal. It is not easy always easy to apply a wax. So I will use UFF when I get a wash in as it is easy and quick to apply. I'd rather use UFF on wheels as it only needs one step to apply and I think it lasts longer then a normal wax.

Personally, using the product you mentioned, I'd apply ULW and then touch it up every month with UFF. I'd rather use a good synthetic sealant over the winter then a wax if that was all I'd be using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast