autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches not going away...

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I plan on using some CQuartz 3.0 on but I wanted to buff out the scratches. So I grabbed my CarPro ClearCut and the Meguiers microfiber cutting pad and went to work. I did what the instructions say, primed, then 7 droplets, start light and low speed of 4 for first 3 passes then last couple a moderate pressure with speed of 5 or 6. Wiped away and son of a ... Still scratches. They don't catch the fingernail either. I attached a picture. It's the same situation on every door, lots of machine car washes by the wife. Any recommendation on product/pad for a Porter Cable 7424XP? Do I just keep repeating the process?

As a test to see if I am actually cutting clear coat, I wet sanded some 2000 grit on the very bottom and it buffed out great.

Scratches not going away...-3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches not going away...

Quote Originally Posted by Shermer321 View Post
    I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I plan on using some CQuartz 3.0 on but I wanted to buff out the scratches. So I grabbed my CarPro ClearCut and the Meguiers microfiber cutting pad and went to work. I did what the instructions say, primed, then 7 droplets, start light and low speed of 4 for first 3 passes then last couple a moderate pressure with speed of 5 or 6. Wiped away and son of a ... Still scratches. They don't catch the fingernail either. I attached a picture. It's the same situation on every door, lots of machine car washes by the wife. Any recommendation on product/pad for a Porter Cable 7424XP? Do I just keep repeating the process?

As a test to see if I am actually cutting clear coat, I wet sanded some 2000 grit on the very bottom and it buffed out great.

Scratches not going away...-3-jpg
    How big of an area are you working?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    How big of an area are you working?
    A quarter of a door at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good..try cranking your PC to six, with 15lbs of pressure and slow arm speed(1" per second). A MF pad with a compound should remove it.

5. Thanks Mgavin1985 thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    That sounds good..try cranking your PC to six, with 15lbs of pressure and slow arm speed(1" per second). A MF pad with a compound should remove it.
    I thought with ClearCut you are not supposed to use heavy pressure for the initial cutting. Only the final passes. Its the opposite of most cutting compunds. Hopefully someone that uses clearcut can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought with ClearCut you are not supposed to use heavy pressure for the initial cutting. Only the final passes. Its the opposite of most cutting compunds. Hopefully someone that uses clearcut can chime in.
    Evidently that's not working for you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to go away little by little. Can I use a thin wool pad to speed up the process a bit?

Before 2 Buff:
    Scratches not going away...-mvimg_20181110_154201_exported_7339281903265439166-2268x3024-jpg

After 2 Buff:
    Scratches not going away...-mvimg_20181110_154825_exported_5159544507242584685-2268x3024-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you feel comfortable wetsanding? If you lightly wetsanded eith a trizak 3000 hit it with your cutting compound then your polish: those scratches would be gone. If you dont know how I could send you a video on how to wetsand. Let me know brotha

Post Thanks / Like

The car wash scratched the paint so deep that your aggressive combo don't take it out in one section passes. So either do as you do with do multible section passes. Or maybe a combo with non diminishing abrasives like Meguiars m101 and thin foam wool pad. Could get you more cut with one polishing step and the amount of passes per sections so it just starts to dry on you. But be aware of that you shave off a large amount of clearcoat with either way you do. So without a paint thickness gauge it's just a guess on how much clearcoat you compounding off. And with the cars thin clearcoats you risk to take off to much of it.

Have you tried on a different panel on the car and see if it is any difference from the panel you work on now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast