autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    Depending on the color of your car you may just need a good AIO product. I have great results with both HD Speed and McKee's 37 360 (my favorite). I agree with the keeping in the same line. For me 360 gives just enough polish and protection with a white or orange pad so I don't need much else. I have been topping with McKee's Hi-Def paint sealant for a little added protection. Don't invest heavily until you've tried a few samples so you don't throw away too much money. For pads again try a few before you go crazy. You're car's pretty new and sounds like you've taken good car of it. You shouldn't need a 30 step process to get it looking great.

I like Lake Country for pads, I like the flat options better than the CCS ones. I like the rounded edge on the flat ones but they both do a good job. I'm using a 20yr old Porter Cable and only really deal with very light correction.
    Thanks for the feedback. That is one thing I forgot to mention in regards to the color. The color is celestial silver metallic. I haven't taken care of it lately like I should have, but personal circumstances hit and it has been outside sitting for a little while. Luckily the water still beads.

I'm making the assumption that as long as I take care of the paint that I won't have to buff or polish that often and be more of regular maintenance wash, light clay, and sealing (such as McKee's hd sealant as you do with a finishing pad) with the occasional need for light polish such as with the AIO or another light polish with a white or green pad. Green just to be a little safer than orange. I'm just not sure how often that can be done safely or how often claying is necessary. I will porbably pick up some Sio2 as well for the wheels due to it's ease of use. I don't mind to apply sealant there more often. Hopefully I'm finally thinking in the right direction here.

This does indeed seem like a fine option to start, might even be the best option since it's dead simple. I also like that it isn't a heavy abrasive so it should be a safer choice until my skills grow or more cutting power is needed. Maybe a few others may chime in, but so far a couple of awesome looking choices. That said, I am liking this one the best so far the more I read about it and seems to fit my situation perfectly.

I may also need a good wheel cleaner and iron remove that will work well on chromtec wheels.

I greatly appreciate everyone's replies & suggestions so far. You guys are helping me settle down choices from the mountain of options.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Recommendations

White and silver you can get away with a white pad and 360. I don't clay more than about once a year and even then it seems like there's just not that much stuff that sticks. I wouldn't over clay, but if you use 360 twice a year I think you'll find your car looks pretty great. You can use it on the wheels too.

3. Thanks kenexcelon thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    White and silver you can get away with a white pad and 360. I don't clay more than about once a year and even then it seems like there's just not that much stuff that sticks. I wouldn't over clay, but if you use 360 twice a year I think you'll find your car looks pretty great. You can use it on the wheels too.
    Awesome. No worries with using it that often? Other than that, I’m ready to place an order I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenexcelon View Post
    Awesome. No worries with using it that often?

No worries at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'03 Corvette Z06

6. Thanks kenexcelon thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any compatibility issues with the Griot's 5" vented plate with Lake Country branded pads? I read here that the hook and loop might be slightly different and I'd like to get the vented 5" plate if possible. I also read the GG6 can get the pad a little bit warmer than the PC, so most seem to recommend the vented plate. I really like to do my research before pulling the trigger, but am just about there.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenexcelon View Post
    Any compatibility issues with the Griot's 5" vented plate with Lake Country branded pads? I read here that the hook and loop might be slightly different and I'd like to get the vented 5" plate if possible. I also read the GG6 can get the pad a little bit warmer than the PC, so most seem to recommend the vented plate. I really like to do my research before pulling the trigger, but am just about there.

Thanks again!
    Go with the vented plate. NO problem at all with any pads!
    '03 Corvette Z06

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just recently tried Optimum Hyper Polish, and I have to say, it's the easiest polish I have ever used. It cuts will with orange pads and polishes down well with white pads. Use as directed, and I think it will take car of most needs.

Then follow with one of the many awesome sealants (WGDGPS, McKees, Duragloss 501/111, etc), and you'll be good to go.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the options. I'd keep it simple.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Recommendations

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've ordered the GG 6" RO polisher with the 5.5" vented plate and some white pads along with 360. I also did grab some green pads as part of one of the package deals that I plan to give as a gift or keep for later. I also got some McKee's HD sealant. Now I have to get it cleaned up real nice and clean out my garage so I can do the work inside as the weather is cooling off here. I'm actually excited waiting on my order.

I do have on more question as to what I can do about the rubber trim between the exterior trim and window glass. As stated, lately I haven't taken care of it as I would normally as I have been down. It happens to the best of us, but the car has had to sit for a little while outside. Anyway, what would be a good cleaner to help clean the rubber before applying dressing? You can see darker spots in the rubber with the attached pic. In person it does not appear to be mildew, mold, rotting or anything like that, nor can you feel anything different. I just recently got the VRT dressing so I haven't even used it yet. I was thinking ahead of what I might need and ordered it before I discovered this site.

Now that I'm all healed up, it's time to get this thing back to looking great. Just a little work to get it back to the way I want it.

Product Recommendations-inkedimg_0716_li-jpg

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's mostly oxidized rubber and maybe some old dressing residue left. A tire and rubber rejuvenate cleaner on a mf towel and rubb it till you get no black on the mf towel. And do wash it as useally after this and dry it and apply VRT. McKees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator or any rubber cleaner would do.

14. Thanks kenexcelon thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    It's mostly oxidized rubber and maybe some old dressing residue left. A tire and rubber rejuvenate cleaner on a mf towel and rubb it till you get no black on the mf towel. And do wash it as useally after this and dry it and apply VRT. McKees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator or any rubber cleaner would do.
    Thanks!!!

16. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast