autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard water spot removal after ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by Dano shine View Post
    Good point Bob. Sorry for not Clarifying I use DI water. Also Dilute it down to 4 to 1 or even 5 to 1
    It is safe for clear coat just don’t get it on any of the glass!!
    And don't let it dry!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on those photos, I'd say you need to correct the paint again. The coating seems to have taken a hit while protecting your paint.

Haven't had much success with Essence+. Frankly, I think a finishing polish like plain old Essence or Gyeon Primer with a new coating would restore it to what you want. Be wary of spot removers; I believe they damage the hydrophobic properties and do something to the coating itself.

See this: Gyeon Water Spot Remover - Mistake or Warning?
    And this: Demonstration: The Effect of a Water Spot Remover on a Hydrophobic Coating

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite water spot remover is Mother's step 1 cleaner polish. KAIO works well too. No need for specialized stuff. I bought Danase waterspot remover over a decade ago. I still haven't needed it.

Post Thanks / Like

There needs to be a “sticky” on water spot removal on coatings as it comes up regularly. I think (while many of the suggestions are good) that you need to polish off the coating and recoat for the best results. CarPro Essence should remove the coating and then just reapply the coating of your choice. I do not say this lightly as I know the labor and cost involved. You have already attacked the problem with clay and this did not fully correct the problem. Using a water spot remover will impact the coatings surface in many ways so you will wind up applying more products IF the water spots are removed. Please let us know what your final method and outcome was.

5. Likes kevincwelch liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a old post but I get water spots also idk if they come out I have ceramic also all I do is power wash my Tucson then dry right away with a microfiber I don’t think it takes everything off but it does look better after if I could go back in time I would not get ceramic seems cars without ceramic get less water spots to me
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    Long time lurker, and Autogeek customer, but first post. Asking for some advice....

Anyway, I ceramic coated my 2 black Vettes last fall myself using Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. They looked amazing, and I was pretty proud of my accomplishment. Then we moved this spring, and during that time, both of them sat out in the weather and rain for a couple of months. I took them both through a touchless car wash a couple of times during that time. Then once I got all the boxes moved out of the garage, so the Vettes could go in at the new house, we washed them by hand and to get them back to normal cleanliness level. After that washing, we noticed what looks like iridescent hard water spots all over the hood and rear decks. Not sure if it is residue from some all-in-one wax/sealer from the touch-less car wash, or iron from when they sat out in the rain a few times. I have noticed iron stains on my driveway already from the gutter runoff, so maybe that's a possibility? Tried cleaning the spots off with vinegar - no help. Tried Clay bar, and it lightened them a little, but took a lot of pressure, and did not completely remove them. I know I could pull out the DA and polish it all out. But just wondering if any of you have seen this before, and if there is a simpler solution. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some pics of the spots.
    Attachment 65220
    Attachment 65221
    Attachment 65222

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adamcool791 View Post
    I know this is a old post but I get water spots also idk if they come out I have ceramic also all I do is power wash my Tucson then dry right away with a microfiber I don’t think it takes everything off but it does look better after if I could go back in time I would not get ceramic seems cars without ceramic get less water spots to me
    Are you washing in the sun?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Are you washing in the sun?
    No

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adamcool791 View Post
    No
    Try sheet rinsing and using a drying aid to aid in water spot prevention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12