autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SEMA 2018... 2019 Products

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I personally like the tuf shine applicator with McKee's or Tuf Shine tire coating paired with the metrovac sidekick. I prefer McKee's tire coating for looks and durability. TW tire coating was good but my tires would have a purplish hue to them.
    I never noticed a purplish hue. I’ll have to look next time I use it. I loved it. It was cheap and durable.

Yep the applicator looked like a tire track. You could just apply the coating to the raised part to apply. Much better design than a “slick” applicator. The bottle and applicator lasts a long time. I really haven’t found anything as good for the price since it’s discontinuation. I still haven’t bought Tough Shine just because of the prep to apply the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

These Speed Master Applicators are the next best thing that I’ve used. I have 2 and they not only work nearly the same as the TW ones but they’re built to last.

I also don’t see any purplish hue from the Endura Tire Coating, do you?

Speed Master Tire Dressing Applicator

3. Thanks ronkh57 thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you FIRST apply TW to the tire it has a blue/purplish hue to it, not sure how you guys don't see it, LOL! Either way, THAT applicator just looks great!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    {about the TW tire coating} I loved it. It was cheap and durable. I really haven’t found anything as good for the price since it’s discontinuation. I still haven’t bought Tough Shine just because of the prep to apply the coating.
    Well, you can't get around the prep, but it seems the new Optimum tire coating is going to be the price leader. It's available now (not sure when it's going to hit the PBMG stores) and it's $16 for 8 oz. and $50 for 32 oz. (list price). OPT says the prep is just to clean with Optimum Power Clean until the tire isn't brown, but I imagine it's going to have to be as clean as "normal" for a coating. Are you saying that the prep was less for the TW? After all the threads about having to "surgically" clean tires for Tuf Shine or M37 coatings, I just presumed I had to do that for the TW.

PS Sorry if that was disjointed--I'm only 1/3 through my coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, you can't get around the prep, but it seems the new Optimum tire coating is going to be the price leader. It's available now (not sure when it's going to hit the PBMG stores) and it's $16 for 8 oz. and $50 for 32 oz. (list price). OPT says the prep is just to clean with Optimum Power Clean until the tire isn't brown, but I imagine it's going to have to be as clean as "normal" for a coating. Are you saying that the prep was less for the TW? After all the threads about having to "surgically" clean tires for Tuf Shine or M37 coatings, I just presumed I had to do that for the TW.

I just ordered an 8oz bottle when I got home yesterday. Been wanting to try out a tire coating for a bit now but didn’t wanna buy new tire cleaners and stuff. Have a big old gallon of power clean, so this just made sense.

They have a demo video for prep on Facebook, they recommend cleaning with power clean at full strength. I don’t have an hvlp gun to apply it but by hand should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

TW didn't require the prep that Tuf Shine of McKee's recommend. When I used TW, Meguiar's D143 was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I just ordered an 8oz bottle when I got home yesterday. Been wanting to try out a tire coating for a bit now but didn’t wanna buy new tire cleaners and stuff. Have a big old gallon of power clean, so this just made sense.

They have a demo video for prep on Facebook, they recommend cleaning with power clean at full strength. I don’t have an hvlp gun to apply it but by hand should be fine.

Let us know how it performs. You certainly don't need an hvlp gun to use it. Optimum has to show that to get you to buy one. If it can out perform McKee's then I would consider it. I got 11 months with McKee's on my daily driver before I added another few coats without fully removing the previous coats. Optimum is claiming 6 months which in real world will probably be slightly less based on the environmental conditions. They are also only recommending two coats as it can crack with more layers than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Let us know how it performs. You certainly don't need an hvlp gun to use it. Optimum has to show that to get you to buy one. If it can out perform McKee's then I would consider it. I got 11 months with McKee's on my daily driver before I added another few coats without fully removing the previous coats. Optimum is claiming 6 months which in real world will probably be slightly less based on the environmental conditions. They are also only recommending two coats as it can crack with more layers than that.
    I will for sure. I’d honestly be happy if it only looked good for a few months before requiring another coat. I just hate dressing my tires every 1-2 weeks, if it doesn’t rain. If it rains my dressing is toast.

I did make sure to ask if there’d be any benefit for an enthusiast to invest in the spray gun if product use wasn’t really a concern, or if that’s more marketed towards pros. Cause I don’t mind if I use a bit more since I’ll probably only use it on my own car anyways.

They don’t really bother to talk about what it is in the description on their website, and I can’t recall any videos where they dived into what it is either. I just have to assume that it’s like the tuff shine coating, McKee’s, or the turtle wax one that’s discontinued.

Also - 11 months out of M37 before reapplying.. you Californians and your perfect weather make me sick SEMA 2018... 2019 Products

Post Thanks / Like

The HVLP gun is just marketing champ. It’s to create the allure of a specialty product.

Apply it with a rag if you like. It’s a tire.

10. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using TW since it came out and still have a couple bottles left and just recently coated my wife's tires with it. I simply cleaned them really good, none of this 10x'w nonsense. I used 303 Tire and Rubber cleaner and my Mother's Tire and Wheel brush. Sprayed it on, let it dwell, scrubbed and rinsed. Dried the tire and let it air dry afterwards further. I then applied a single coat and let it dry, done! The only other tinted tire coating I know of that's very similar to TW is Black Pearl and they even have several finishes available, an impressive, quiet product for sure!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Tire Express and Tire Cleaner is available somewhere for pre-purchase sale, anyone know when AG will get itSEMA 2018... 2019 Products

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast