autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Idea for Felt Wheel Liners

As we all know, those felt wheel liners in a lot of new cars are very annoying and tricky to clean sometime. They love to pick up grass and sand and dirt. I recently came up with an idea and wanted to see if anyone has tried it. If not, I'm curious on your opinions on the idea. My idea is, once the wheel liners are cleaned out and dry, what if you were to apply the product NeverWet. It is a super hydrophobic product most of you may have seen used on shoes specifically.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idea for Felt Wheel Liners

Aren't there car products for this? Like convertible top treatments or CarPro Hydro2.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure. I just thought of this and I'd imagine it would be a cheaper alternative. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it yet and if it actually works or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky (I guess) to have not encountered any felt wheel liners yet. I'm sure making them hydrophobic is going to help keep them clean, but I'm not sure it will keep you from having to clean them, if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

•The “felt” wheel well liners on my
    vehicles are made from plastic.

•After they’ve been cleaned to my satisfaction...
    -I just treat them with the same vinyl/plastic
    Protectants that I’ve used on any other plastic
    wheel-well liners.

-Products like: 303-AP; Vinylex; HyperDressing;
    Meguiar’s M40; Mother’s RV&P; etc.; etc.

•NeverWet?
    -Nope: No room at the Inn.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My take is this: As a new car/truck shopper, if I saw the wheel wells were constructed of this material, I would politely decline any further interest in that model, then alert the salesman that he should relay this to the manufacturer. JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost every vehicle we do now has those.... sucks.... pressure washer is what we use... air.... sometimes a lint roller... scotch guard.... that wont prevent grass or 'solids' ... nope... not a fan... this was today's car

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    My take is this: As a new car/truck shopper, if I saw the wheel wells were constructed of this material, I would politely decline any further interest in that model, then alert the salesman that he should relay this to the manufacturer. JMO
    If you were to do that you’d be limiting your options quite a bit... So much so that your ideal vehicle could easily fall out of reach due to the wheel well lining? IMO there’s bigger fish to fry or in this case become possible dealbreakers.

i.e. 1st and foremost, if I were buying a car, whether new or used and they tried delivering it to me with 1 of their stupid little badges stuck onto the paint of the trunk, as if I’m supposed to be somekind of free neighborhood billboard for a freaking car dealership. No way. I’d call the whole deal off right there on the spot unless they remove that crap and remove it fast and there better not be any sign of it ever being on the paint to begin with. Lol.

I don’t drive around with license plate trims that advertise any car dealerships either... My license plate trim is something I pick out to match the vehicle.

I’d also complain about the lack of ashtrays and lighters before I’d think about the felt wheel well liners.Idea for Felt Wheel Linerslol.

I’d probably sound like a grumpy old man with those sort of complaints. Lol.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jconley30 View Post
    As we all know, those felt wheel liners in a lot of new cars are very annoying and tricky to clean sometime. They love to pick up grass and sand and dirt. I recently came up with an idea and wanted to see if anyone has tried it. If not, I'm curious on your opinions on the idea. My idea is, once the wheel liners are cleaned out and dry, what if you were to apply the product NeverWet. It is a super hydrophobic product most of you may have seen used on shoes specifically.
    I like the idea mate and I reckon you should follow it up regardless of the responses you get.

This kind of thinking is what creates a good detailer, it’s got nothing to do with using the product manufacturers say you should.

Test it out, take notes, report back.

Post Thanks / Like

Felt liners are probably ok on city cars but they suck on country trucks,even one trip down a muddy dirt road and you'll be scrubbing them for hours trying to get them clean
    if you get one that has been constantly on a dirt with no regard to cleaning it double sucks
    I'd like to find the engineer who thought these were a good idea and lock him up in a stockade in the town square and throw rotten fruit at him
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

14. Likes SWETM, DetailDrivenEugene liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast