autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Newby here...advice on which Menzerna polish and pads

Hello everyone! I'm looking to get started to polish my car in the spring once the snow melts. I have LC Pads (Orange, White, Black and Blue) and a PC, but am still looking for polish/pad advice.

I have seen a lot of good results with Menzerna, and will go that route because it is available locally over here in Canada. Anyways, I wanted some advice as to which polish to use with what pad.

My car is a '97 Black BMW M3, with a decent amount of swirls (ie in the sun you see medium swirls). I was thinking of using:

Menzerna Intensive Polish PO91E on Orange or White pad?

then

Menzerna Nano Polish PO106FF OR Final Polish PO85U on White or Black pad?

then

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze OR Poorboy's EX-P Sealant on Black or Blue pad?

then

I would then put a coat of wax, perhaps Poorboy's Natty Paste Wax?

Any help is very much appreciated! Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I just really want to use the right products without getting frustrated. I heard BMW's have a hard clear coat so it would be best to start out right!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newby here...advice on which Menzerna polish and pads

Sounds like you've got the right idea. There is no exact science to pad/polish selection. Some of the best advice I've received about this is to test whatever you choose to try from start to finish on a single 2'x2' section and see if it gives the results you want. Remember to start with the least agressive options first and see if it's "enough". The more you polish (especially a single vehicle or vehicle type) the better you'll get at "guessing" right the first time. Best of luck!

Oh yeah, personally, I don't use a machine to apply "protection" or LSP type products, unless it's an AIO that has some correction abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Great! Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with your pad/polish science statement. Certain polishes work well with certain pads and Menzerna works best when paired to the correct pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Menzerna works best when paired to the correct pad.
    and which pads are those

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by italpasta View Post
    and which pads are those
    The pads you mentioned are the correct choices. Try the LC white pad with SIP first since white has less cutting power than LC orange pad. If the white pad doesnt give you the results you are after try the orange pad with SIP. Then use a white LC pad with Nano sice it is a finishing polish. Then if you want to take it even further you can polish again with Nano and a LC finishing pad-its up to you. Good luck.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

I use either a white or green CCS pad with either IP or 106FF...depends on the how bad the defect is..I never needed a orange pad and when I did try one it left lots of micro marring...the green and white have worked perfect every time..

and doing a sealant..I do by hand ..reason is when you do by machine you use more product..and still have to do by hand the areas you can not get by hand...

AL
    Last edited by Al-53; 02-21-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; the most important first step in the process of paint surface renovation is diagnosing the paint surface; density of clear coat (hard or soft) or single stage paint, surface condition; severity of the scratches and the paint thickness available will dictate the choice and abrasiveness of polish / compound for correction or renovation level required or indeed possible.

These diminishing abrasive polishes are foam pad ‘dependant’ as far as its paint correction / renovation abilities are concerned and require friction to ‘breakdown’ and for this reason they are best suited to a high-speed rotary polisher; remember to use the least invasive product first before ‘stepping-up’ to the next abrasive level. It is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive polish / foam combination

The use of a duel level foam pad (primary / secondary) / single polish correction system; will change the way each polish works in accordance to which pad you use (i.e. use a polishing pad followed by a finishing pad) and will really heighten the paint finish shine.

Menzerna Polishes-
    Methodology Part I - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/11443-menzerna-polishes-methodology-part-i.html

Methodology Part II - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info everyone

I will try a SIP (83Q) with the white pad, then the Nano (106FF) with the white as well, and a final pass of the Nano again with Black or Blue or Micro Polish (87MC) with Black or Blue...suggestions? I will try to stay away from the orange pad with the SIP, and keep trying with the white pad several times if the swirls are stubborn.

I will then seal the car, and will do more research on this forum as to do it by hand or PC.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by italpasta; 02-24-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would first try the 106 with the white pad..worth a shot. (as mentioned, always try LEAST aggressive method 1st). If no go, use SIP with white and then try 106 with gray pad although the white pad will finish just fine with 106. On black, I always follow 106 with RMG or Menz glaze to give a wet, wet look. Check out some of my S & S posts...just lock it in with a good sealant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast