autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting Winter Wheels?

Not to hi-jack this thread...Would "Plasti-Dip" work for the winter? 'They' say the stuff just peels off, so maybe use a 'clear' just for winter?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice wheels. The look like the Niche wheels I had on my Audi.

I would ceramic coat them. Love me GYEON's Q2 RIM. Excellent product.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I would ceramic coat the new wheels for winter. Maintain the coating with Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant or Sonax Spray & Seal.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating
    Gyeon Q2 Rim
    CarPro Dlux
    McKee's 37 Wheel Coating
    GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor

Post Thanks / Like

I hit mine with Collinite 476.

Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondering between ceramic coating for car paint vs dedicated ceramic coating for wheels.

What is the benefit with wheel coating?

The longevity is often less for a wheel coating on wheels vs coating on paint. You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them? What I have heard the wheel coatings has a higher amount of Sio2. To stand up better to abrasions from wheel brushes and wheel cleaners. Then many don't use that when the wheels are coated and just use the wash solution. I would see a big benefit if you just needed to use a wheel cleaner and PW them clean and gets it a touchless wash. Have used Gyeon Wet Coat on the wheels for a year now. But the time between washes has been to long so still need some brushing on the wheel barrels. It's releasing the brake dust much easier than unprotected wheels but not touchless. The longevity has been great which surprised me. Better than on the paint for some reason. Could be that the vertical surface of the wheels it's more noticeble that it's something left than on the horisontall surfaces on paint. The winter wheels is getting the Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating this year. Not the longest lasting wheel coating. Based on PTFE and Tio2 could be the reason it's not the longevity of it as the Sio2 based wheel coating. Will see if it can survive the winter months here in Sweden which is quite harsh winter weather. And if it don't last the full winter months I have Sonax Spray and Seal to top it in the end.

I would definitely apply a wheel coating on new wheels or ones in great condition. Or use a coating for paint if I had leftover from it. Since it's a season wheel it will survive a winter without any problems. Wonders if it could last 2 winter seasons? I would test to before putting it to storage. To apply some ceramic topper to them after a good cleaning. And protect and maybe ad some Sio2 so the natuaral degrade gets on the topper during storage.

Great looking winter wheels. What car is they going on?

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them?
    I used CarPro CQ "classic" on my summer wheels. They are now wraping up their second season with the coating and it appears to be still going strong. I drive the car daily and wash it every few weeks with the wheels being subjected to a mild wheel cleaner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Plasti dip will work. I used it on my old winter rims for 2 winters. on the 2nd winter it was peeling toward the end. The key is to do multiple layers to get it nice and thick (which I did not do) If its not thick enough it wont last. I would say 5 Layers, I think I did about 3 but was not really enough for the winter IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Not to hi-jack this thread...Would "Plasti-Dip" work for the winter? 'They' say the stuff just peels off, so maybe use a 'clear' just for winter?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

They do look similar actually! This is Fast FC04, they probably copied the design from your brand lol

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Nice wheels. The look like the Niche wheels I had on my Audi.

I would ceramic coat them. Love me GYEON's Q2 RIM. Excellent product.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

They are going on a Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I have often wondering between ceramic coating for car paint vs dedicated ceramic coating for wheels.

What is the benefit with wheel coating?

The longevity is often less for a wheel coating on wheels vs coating on paint. You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them? What I have heard the wheel coatings has a higher amount of Sio2. To stand up better to abrasions from wheel brushes and wheel cleaners. Then many don't use that when the wheels are coated and just use the wash solution. I would see a big benefit if you just needed to use a wheel cleaner and PW them clean and gets it a touchless wash. Have used Gyeon Wet Coat on the wheels for a year now. But the time between washes has been to long so still need some brushing on the wheel barrels. It's releasing the brake dust much easier than unprotected wheels but not touchless. The longevity has been great which surprised me. Better than on the paint for some reason. Could be that the vertical surface of the wheels it's more noticeble that it's something left than on the horisontall surfaces on paint. The winter wheels is getting the Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating this year. Not the longest lasting wheel coating. Based on PTFE and Tio2 could be the reason it's not the longevity of it as the Sio2 based wheel coating. Will see if it can survive the winter months here in Sweden which is quite harsh winter weather. And if it don't last the full winter months I have Sonax Spray and Seal to top it in the end.

I would definitely apply a wheel coating on new wheels or ones in great condition. Or use a coating for paint if I had leftover from it. Since it's a season wheel it will survive a winter without any problems. Wonders if it could last 2 winter seasons? I would test to before putting it to storage. To apply some ceramic topper to them after a good cleaning. And protect and maybe ad some Sio2 so the natuaral degrade gets on the topper during storage.

Great looking winter wheels. What car is they going on?

/Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Protecting Winter Wheels?-resized-jpg  

11. Likes SWETM, Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    Thanks,

They are going on a Golf R
    The Golf R will look awesome with those wheels!

13. Likes bryanviper liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast