autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    1990 Fox body

2 step correction...kinda under the gun time wise he has a car show on Friday.
    I got it all washed/decon/clayed....masked off and 1/2 done with first cut.
    Griots FCC & microfiber pads

Car is in ok condition...stones chips....trim is a mess...doing the best I can

Few pics

Vanilla Ice ice baby 5.0 roof turned back so my hair can blow

2. Likes Bosko, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Vanilla Ice ice baby 5.0 roof turned back so my hair can blow

4. Likes Tasmania, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Yes we think a like! I'm getting a feeling that the others are over taking them is sales and product range. To be honest this company most likely just sell the detailing products
    but are not into detailing/car cleaning etc,etc IMO
    Don't get me wrong, I still buy a lot from them and have supported them from the very beginning.

I think the competition has exploded over the last decade, and unfortunately for them, they don't sell any of the "it" brands like TRC, Koch, P&S ect, so customers shop elsewhere. I don't think the brands and products they sell are bad, just that things have moved on and they haven't really evolved to cater to new brands.

6. Likes Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I still buy a lot from them and have supported them from the very beginning.

I think the competition has exploded over the last decade, and unfortunately for them, they don't sell any of the "it" brands like TRC, Koch, P&S ect, so customers shop elsewhere. I don't think the brands and products they sell are bad, just that things have moved on and they haven't really evolved to cater to new brands.
    I agree 100%

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I closed my 2nd detailing job today. Being dropped off tomorrow. It's a 2021 HD Trike. My jam. It's been a while since I've had to sell my services, nearly 25 years in fact when I painted professionally.

First thing I did was anchor him. What do you know about detailing and how much were you hoping to spend?

He knows very little and his budget was $150.

I am not a hard sell. I'm an honest sell. So I gave it my best shot.

I will properly wash it, and hand apply a couple coats of wax for $150. I have a feeling you were hoping for more though.....

(This is my favorite part. I get to tell him the story.)

....or I will wash it properly with a high quality wash made to leave nothing but clear coat. But I won't stop there. I'll go after embedded iron particulates and make sure any organic matter is removed as well. At this point, it will get clay barred by hand to remove particulates left after cleaning and decontamination. Once the surface is ready, I'll carefully remove just enough clear coat to level the surface in all but the most severe instances, and even there it will look way better. All of this will be done by machine using high quality abrasives. Once it's done, i will prime, coat, and top the surface with a coating I have imported directly from Germany. $600 (i really wanted the job and was willing to give him a great price)

....or we could get it cleaned and put nice wax on it. It won't be as protected, and i haven't seen a gloss more reflective than my topper, but....

I'll go with the $600 option, Lance. Do I pay you up front?

Nope, you happily hand me the cash when you see the difference when you pick it up. You made the right choice.

I'm a newb, but I'm detailing...for money....this rocks!!! I don't think ive ever made money doing something I've enjoyed so much. I have a feeling guys are getting a bit more than $600 to coat a Harley. I'm going to log my time and try and get a dial on how well i do for future jobs.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1, 2black1s, opie, Big Dave, DFB and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*** Continuation of Posts 9135, 9139 & 9149 ***

One Happy Customer...

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20221006_164445resized-jpg

12. Likes dgage, opie, chilly, oneheadlite, Big Dave and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    After removing the Gyeon Q2 Wax (sat on the EN for about 1hr 30 mins, in the sun) I applied that 2nd coat of Feynlab Black Velvet Tire Coating, finished off the bottle infact. I then finished off my can of Sonax Rim Shield, applied VERY liberally to finish off the can.

Now it sits in the beautiful Oct 1st sun @65 degrees, waiting to go to C&C tomorrow (where it's not in the show this time around) but more importantly its been further protected for the 1500-2000 mile trip to "God's Country" aka SE Tennessee, foothills of the Smokey Mountains What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

One of the worst things I did was using Gyeon wax over a coating. Masked the hydrophobic’s and the coating never came back. It’s exactly how Sandro showed it in his video.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    I closed my 2nd detailing job today. Being dropped off tomorrow. It's a 2021 HD Trike. My jam. It's been a while since I've had to sell my services, nearly 25 years in fact when I painted professionally.

I'm a newb, but I'm detailing...for money....this rocks!!! I don't think ive ever made money doing something I've enjoyed so much. I have a feeling guys are getting a bit more than $600 to coat a Harley. I'm going to log my time and try and get a dial on how well i do for future jobs.
    This post was an interesting read for me.

When I was in my teens, I was mad keen on gardening, fueled by my grandmother who was a nurseryman during her working years. I eventually decided I wanted to pursue it as a career and followed in my grandmother's footsteps, where I have been a nurseryman ever since, about 17 years. What was my hobby, became my job. While I do still enjoy certain aspects of my profession, the passion for it has evaporated into indifference.

During the long days spent in the rain, the heat, the cold, I'm constantly thinking about if I should take the plunge and start detailing for money, or more to the point, make it my job. My argument against pursuing detailing as a job has been to protect my passion, not let it turn into what has become of my gardening/horticulture passion. I live for the one day a week I get to lose myself in detailing and in the process forgetting my issues, I don't want to ruin that feeling, ruin that special role detailing plays in my life.

............."I don't think I've ever made money doing something I've enjoyed so much........."

But then I read this line and think of what a change in career might do for my outlook on work, and life in general.

16. Thanks dgage, Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, dgage, chilly, SNP209, opie and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got in a touch-free wash at an antiquated carwash but it got the bugs off and looked better. I used Adam's Bug Wash and CG's Diablo wheel cleaner mixed with Bilt-Hamber Surfex on the rims.

A full post and pics up coming from my 2022 Tail of the Dragon trip in a few days...stay "tuned"What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

18. Likes dgage, Brrr, Big Dave, Coatingsarecrack, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    This post was an interesting read for me.

When I was in my teens, I was mad keen on gardening, fueled by my grandmother who was a nurseryman during her working years. I eventually decided I wanted to pursue it as a career and followed in my grandmother's footsteps, where I have been a nurseryman ever since, about 17 years. What was my hobby, became my job. While I do still enjoy certain aspects of my profession, the passion for it has evaporated into indifference.

During the long days spent in the rain, the heat, the cold, I'm constantly thinking about if I should take the plunge and start detailing for money, or more to the point, make it my job. My argument against pursuing detailing as a job has been to protect my passion, not let it turn into what has become of my gardening/horticulture passion. I live for the one day a week I get to lose myself in detailing and in the process forgetting my issues, I don't want to ruin that feeling, ruin that special role detailing plays in my life.

............."I don't think I've ever made money doing something I've enjoyed so much........."

But then I read this line and think of what a change in career might do for my outlook on work, and life in general.
    i'm not considering a career change, and in fact was reluctant to take this job on so soon after I got the last one done, but you make hay when the sun shines, and the sun was shining ...my goal is just a job a month to start

i'll tell you this though, If my currently opportunity went away, I'd pick up the wheel and seriously consider making it a full time gig, i'd start with a trailer and be mobile and work from home garage at first....wife could be my sugar momma if I needed her to be, start up money and a lil runway time wouldn't be a problem, I've already got some of the legal stuff started, llc, DBA, Tax id number....and i'm going to look into insurance in case i fall asleep at the wheel and accidentally grind off a hood ornament

20. Likes Bosko liked this post
Page 915 of 1203 FirstFirst ... 4158158659059069079089099109119129139149159169179189199209219229239249259651015 ... LastLast