autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

ANGRY I thought i would clean the lite water spots off my mum's side mirror glass on her VW Amarok....With Carpro spotless 2.0 and ended up making it hazy.

I was having a good day and i had a gut feeling to leave them even though the people who sold it to me said YES it's SAFE for mirrors

Now up for a Genuine mirror so i slapped myself and then threw the bottle until it smashed.

2. Likes DFB, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Cuz of you i just had to look up 2q wax had no idea you could use that over a coating. Try not to top it lol and let us know how it works out

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I did leave the roof alone, it's pure Pure EVOWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tasmania;1754780]ANGRY I thought i would clean the lite water spots off my mum's side mirror glass on her VW Amarok....With Carpro spotless 2.0 and ended up making it hazy.

Ouch. Nope, side mirrors usually aren't glass. I would avoid any glass coatings as well.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Tasmania, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

Ouch. Nope, side mirrors usually aren't glass. I would avoid any glass coatings as well.
    I did not know this, but it certainly explains the scratches one of cars had on the mirrors, only showed when bright lights were behind me, very annoying, and something not visible on a normal test drive. They must have been cleaned with something really dirty

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Griot's ceramic glass cleaner on side mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TTQ B4U;1754785]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    ANGRY I thought i would clean the lite water spots off my mum's side mirror glass on her VW Amarok....With Carpro spotless 2.0 and ended up making it hazy.

That was my thought until i got the ok from not just the local detailing online store and multiple emails, and even contacted CarPro international themselves.

Should of whent with my GUT feeling really

9. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure if I should post this in this thread or the "non-detailing" thread but since it's paint related, I opted for here.

I have a friend who has been hounding me to fix a small dent in his 2018 GMC Sierra for a while now. I'm really no longer set-up to do this kind of work but I finally said "OK, bring it over and I'll take care of it".

Originally he had a PDR guy do the repair but they did a poor job. There were several "pick" marks that were over corrected and just a generally lousy job. Now the only fix was a more conventional approach.

First, I wet sanded the damaged area to a featheredge using 320G. I then filed the pick marks (high spots) in the sheet metal to level the area. There was no need for any bondo. I then repeated the featheredging process with 320G to clean up some scratches from filing.

Next, I wet sanded the entire area where the paint blending will occur with 3000G, 1500G, and 600G. 3000G at the extremes, slightly beyond where I intend to go with the clear; 1500G to the point I intend to go with the clear; and 600G for the area I intend to apply the base coat color.

I then proceeded to chemically treat the bare metal with a metal conditioner, followed by a primer surfacer and block sanding with 600G. I did the primer and sanding step two times.

Now it's ready for final masking and then the paint. Tomorrow morning I'll run out to get the paint and then finish this up. I'll post more pics when it's done.

Typically, I don't like doing blend jobs with the clear but in this case, I have a small area between the taillamp and the bumper along with the corner radius of the panel to execute the blend. That configuration will help to conceal the blend when it's all said and done.

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20221002_164002-resized-jpg What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-20221002_190949resized-jpg

11. Likes dgage, Big Dave, chilly, SNP209, DFB and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saturday was a no go due the weather. So washed Sunday. Of course, as soon as i was wrapping it up, a light misting of rain appeared. Never fails. But not enough to spoil my work. Normal maintenance wash. Flex wax used again as a rinse wax. Sadly, the days of washing are close to being over for the year.

Finished up this morning with another coat of Wolfstiens tonneau cover protectant.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

13. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    First time I ever used a dedicated tire cleaner. Gave Gyeon a shot. Worked very well in one pass. Like most Gyeon products they perform well, have nice bottles and are a bit pricey. Tires cleaned up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What do you normally use to clean your tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What do you normally use to clean your tires?
    I normally would just use an APC or Soap, which does the job well enough but I've found multiple passes are required. The chemistry of the dedicated tire cleaners does work better. But I've only used Gyeon among the dedicated tire cleaners. Coatings said the 303 stuff works great. I'll likely just continue to use the Optimum Power Clean going forward. Gyeon worked well but I wasn't blown away by it either. Better options for the $.

16. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 912 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 4128128629029039049059069079089099109119129139149159169179189199209219229621012 ... LastLast