autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I was heavily into detailing 15-20 years ago but mostly had no time for it in the recent past. I decided to start again -- at least on an occasional basis two weeks ago. I used the old stuff I had on hand to polish and wax my daily driver which has become a garage queen as I mostly work at home now and rarely go out, except to the store or a rare visit to a restaurant. For that I used some Megs M80 and clay to prep the car, and finished it off with a layer of Collinite 845. My wife asked me to do her car but she won't stop going to auto car washes and letting her dealer wash the car after an oil change. So I decided not to worry about things like swirls on her car. I just polished out a couple of minor scratches and smudges after claying her car. Then because I'm so out of it, I just found out about ceramic spray waxes and decided that her car gets some Meguiars HCW spray on it on Monday. It looks good and if it keeps up with a minimal reapplication, I might switch my car to that after the Collinite starts to wear off.

Just glad to be back. Hope I can keep this up but I have a bad back and I'm finding I can do less and have to take many more breaks than I used to.

2. Likes oneheadlite, Big Dave, dgage, DFB, vaca22 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was heavily into detailing 15-20 years ago but mostly had no time for it in the recent past. I decided to start again -- at least on an occasional basis two weeks ago. I used the old stuff I had on hand to polish and wax my daily driver which has become a garage queen as I mostly work at home now and rarely go out, except to the store or a rare visit to a restaurant. For that I used some Megs M80 and clay to prep the car, and finished it off with a layer of Collinite 845. My wife asked me to do her car but she won't stop going to auto car washes and letting her dealer wash the car after an oil change. So I decided not to worry about things like swirls on her car. I just polished out a couple of minor scratches and smudges after claying her car. Then because I'm so out of it, I just found out about ceramic spray waxes and decided that her car gets some Meguiars HCW spray on it on Monday. It looks good and if it keeps up with a minimal reapplication, I might switch my car to that after the Collinite starts to wear off.

Just glad to be back. Hope I can keep this up but I have a bad back and I'm finding I can do less and have to take many more breaks than I used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coase View Post

I only started using Collinite 845 last year, and for a car that's garaged most of the time, you can get some good longevity out of it. Applying it and buffing after is fairly easy, but could be considered physically intensive depending on what you're putting it on, my FJ Cruiser for instance. I'm up and down on the work platform 10 - 15 times, and stretching out over the roof. Something I definitely feel a few hours after I've done it.

You should consider some of the spray on, hose off sealants,. I've used 303 touchless sealant and Gyeon Wet Coat. Both are very easy to use, you're just adding a step between washing and drying, and you're not even touching the paint while you do it.

I've looked at the Graphene products myself, but it's quite expensive here in Australia, being new to this market, and I want to use up what I have on the shelf first.

Dave.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I only started using Collinite 845 last year, and for a car that's garaged most of the time, you can get some good longevity out of it. Applying it and buffing after is fairly easy, but could be considered physically intensive depending on what you're putting it on, my FJ Cruiser for instance. I'm up and down on the work platform 10 - 15 times, and stretching out over the roof. Something I definitely feel a few hours after I've done it.

You should consider some of the spray on, hose off sealants,. I've used 303 touchless sealant and Gyeon Wet Coat. Both are very easy to use, you're just adding a step between washing and drying, and you're not even touching the paint while you do it.

I've looked at the Graphene products myself, but it's quite expensive here in Australia, being new to this market, and I want to use up what I have on the shelf first.

Dave.

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned I have HCW as my first spray on, rinse off sealant (except for first application which is done with a damp towel). I have had lots of experiences since 2000 using Collinite and already knew it has at least half year longevity for cars that spend at least half the week in a garage and aren't driven through mud or the like. I also have a DA polisher and that is one of the harder things on my back, not the waxing which I enjoy. Also bending up and down to wash/wax the lower parts of the car and cleaning up trim are the hardest on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coase View Post
    Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned I have HCW as my first spray on, rinse off sealant (except for first application which is done with a damp towel). I have had lots of experiences since 2000 using Collinite and already knew it has at least half year longevity for cars that spend at least half the week in a garage and aren't driven through mud or the like. I also have a DA polisher and that is one of the harder things on my back, not the waxing which I enjoy. Also bending up and down to wash/wax the lower parts of the car and cleaning up trim are the hardest on me.
    Oops, sorry, I forgot HCW was a spray/rinse product, I think it appeared on the shelves here last year, I opted to try Mother's CMX instead, which is a spray/wipe product, it's OK, but I might have to try HCW next. I seem to remember having a valid reason for choosing one over the other, I can't think of what it was now. The 303 touchless I mainly use on wheels now.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed the chevelle with Accumulator’s method i learned from him, Bill D and Larry from Ammo has a video where he does the same.

Got a gilmour foam gun during lockdown. AG was out but looks similar

Used CG melon foam soap.

Definitely foams up. Went to grab towels came back to this.

This method is messy but definitely very lubricious for the paint. Cleaned well and felt uber safe for the paint.

I will still wash my Camaro my other way with one bucket many mitts and PW but for garage queen i plan on keeping for ever i will continue to use this method.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So this represents the last time I expect to wash and detail these suckers -

I'm not completely sure what I'm going to do with these. At the very least I want them clean before I either sell or store them.

This is one of the rare occasions I use a wheel cleaner on my own cars. These wheels were coated in Hydr02 and I wanted these things stripped bare. Brake Buster un-diluted has that ability. Starting with the tyres followed by the rims. Being regularly maintained, you will note a lack of brown colour change on the tyres.

I then followed this up with an iron removing cleaner.

I then flipped the wheel and repeated the process. Note here the strong colour change on the un-maintained rear sidewall.

This is the easiest and least time consuming wash of these barrels EVER!

I then used clay and some quick detailer on both the wheel face and barrel. The face and spokes were rather clean, the barrels did have some pick-up.

Blown dry, it was time for some polish. I didn't chase perfection here, if they were going back on my car I would have though. The goal was to restore some clarity and shine.

After a wipe down with Eraser, I then gave the wheels a coat of Bead Maker for some extra shine and protection.

And thus concludes my long and painful affair with S550 Mustang PP1 wheels.

10. Likes Big Dave, opie, Bruno Soares, vaca22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dried the Qashqai just now, after it was parked in the rain for a couple of hours. Used Bowden's After Glow with a couple of Big Softie MFs

DFB, I have the original wheels off the FJ stacked in the corner for 15 months now. still waiting for me to decide if I'm going to sell them, I did clean them before stacking them. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-psx_20210603_194357-jpg

12. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Washed the chevelle with Accumulator’s method i learned from him, Bill D and Larry from Ammo has a video where he does the same.

Got a gilmour foam gun during lockdown. AG was out but looks similar

Used CG melon foam soap.

Definitely foams up. Went to grab towels came back to this.

This method is messy but definitely very lubricious for the paint. Cleaned well and felt uber safe for the paint.

I will still wash my Camaro my other way with one bucket many mitts and PW but for garage queen i plan on keeping for ever i will continue to use this method.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's a tip: remove the trigger on the foam gun and install a quick disconnect switch. This allows for greater flow and even better foam
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

So, what's the wash method?
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

15. Likes jem7sk liked this post
Page 574 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 744745245645655665675685695705715725735745755765775785795805815825835846246741074 ... LastLast