autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Elixir streaking

Does anyone have any tips for using Elixir as a drying aid without it streaking on a black car?

Coated with CarPro lite. 2 sprays into the drying towel at the start, 2 sprays per panel, drying towel first, then a rag company eagle edgeless 500 to buff out remaining residue. Appearing as streaks in places and little spray dots in other places. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elixir streaking

Try 1 spray per panel....a little goes a long way.....Also a slightly moist towel with water to finish it off usually smooths everything out
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Elixir streaking

Thanks, will definitely try one spray next time.

You mean to wet the second final buff towel? The second towel ended up being a bit damp in the end as it was also drying the remainder of what the drying towel missed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced a lot of streaking with it as well. It's not an easy product to apply, and I'm going to stick with Capro ECH2O as my coating QD of choice one my bottle of Elixr is gone.

Like others have said, a little goes a long way. I also found applying the product to your towel and then spreading it around was easier and more effective than spraying the product right directly onto the surface of the vehicle.

Overspray is a problem depending on the weather and if you happen to not see it right away, it becomes very hard to remove later.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely use very little product and if you have air moving and find overspray, then only spray the towel (cupped in your hand) to avoid that.
    Since your car is black, you might also have better luck diluting Elixir a bit with distilled water. CarPro recommends that on the Reload bottle and I'm sure the same can be done to Elixir to avoid streaking.
    I haven't had issues with it but I do use very little product as I had read about it before, maybe not even a full spray per panel.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your towel became saturated with product. How many towels were you using besides the two you mentioned? I am not a fan of the edgless 500's for drying or buffing. They seem to just push product around more so than absorb.

The spray dots are from overspray of spraying on to the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've experienced a lot of streaking with it as well. It's not an easy product to apply, and I'm going to stick with Capro ECH2O as my coating QD of choice one my bottle of Elixr is gone.

Like others have said, a little goes a long way. I also found applying the product to your towel and then spreading it around was easier and more effective than spraying the product right directly onto the surface of the vehicle.

Overspray is a problem depending on the weather and if you happen to not see it right away, it becomes very hard to remove later.
    Yeah I didn’t have a great time with it. I must admit though it is probably just about the slickest product I have used. I have 1 L left to use so will see if I can figure it out. I’ll definitely try spraying directly into the towel! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Definitely use very little product and if you have air moving and find overspray, then only spray the towel (cupped in your hand) to avoid that.
    Since your car is black, you might also have better luck diluting Elixir a bit with distilled water. CarPro recommends that on the Reload bottle and I'm sure the same can be done to Elixir to avoid streaking.
    I haven't had issues with it but I do use very little product as I had read about it before, maybe not even a full spray per panel.
    Yeah wow that is very little product. Yeah I think overspray is a problem as the triggers we are getting at the moment are horrible. Apparently the normal triggers are out of stock due to the pandemic here in Aus. These trigger just seem to mist. Will also try 1/2 - 1 spray per panel and also diluting it. Thanks

10. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like your towel became saturated with product. How many towels were you using besides the two you mentioned? I am not a fan of the edgless 500's for drying or buffing. They seem to just push product around more so than absorb.

The spray dots are from overspray of spraying on to the panel.
    Just the two towels. It was streaking on the first panel I used it on (hood). Yeah, I haven’t decided on the 500s yet but they are super plush. Just used 2 towels - are more recommended? I’ve used 2 before with many other products and not had any issues? Yeah, overspray is a real issue with the triggers we are getting with a lot of products atm. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    Just the two towels. It was streaking on the first panel I used it on (hood). Yeah, I haven’t decided on the 500s yet but they are super plush. Just used 2 towels - are more recommended? I’ve used 2 before with many other products and not had any issues? Yeah, overspray is a real issue with the triggers we are getting with a lot of products atm. Thanks

How do you wash your car? I mean do you sheet rinse it? Are you using a pressure washer and going into the drying phase? Are you using any kind of blower?

I sheet rinse, use the McKee's 37 dryer and then touch up any remaining water with the drying aid of my choice. The TRC gauntlet, Griot's PFM, Autofiber Royal Plush are better towels to use for a drying aid. They pick up water better. Because I sheet rinse and blow dry I don't use that many towels to touch certain areas that still have water.

If I don't use the blower then I am using multiple towels.

What first drying towel are you using?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast