autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I worked on my truck's wheels last night and discovered two interesting things.

First, I haven't done a chemical decon in a long time, wow:

Attachment 66880

That the worst Bleeding Wheels I've ever had.

Second, I'm realizing a new way that "surface prep is everything." A month ago, on a whim, I took a drill brush and tire cleaner to these same truck tires. I really let them have it, mostly to see what kind of a difference it would make. After rinsing the sloppy mess off (spoiler: that $*** gets everywhere), I really didn't see anything remarkable but was happy with my effort nonetheless. I dressed them with Perl as usual and moved on.

Well these tires see a lot of dirt (in fact I clean them on a dirt driveway, so they start dirty). A month later I am completely stunned with how well the dressing is performing. I can't believe how well it sheds water. If I get a week of protection on a normal maintenance wash, I'm pretty happy. Seeing this a month later is downright shocking to me.

Last edited by bofh; 06-08-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: video links are hard

2. Likes SWETM, Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I worked on my truck's wheels last night and discovered two interesting things.

First, I haven't done a chemical decon in a long time, wow:

Attachment 66880

That the worst Bleeding Wheels I've ever had.

Second, I'm realizing a new way that "surface prep is everything." A month ago, on a whim, I took a drill brush and tire cleaner to these same truck tires. I really let them have it, mostly to see what kind of a difference it would make. After rinsing the sloppy mess off (spoiler: that $*** gets everywhere), I really didn't see anything remarkable but was happy with my effort nonetheless. I dressed them with Perl as usual and moved on.

Well these tires see a lot of dirt (in fact I clean them on a dirt driveway, so they start dirty). A month later I am completely stunned with how well the dressing is performing. I can't believe how well it sheds water. If I get a week of protection on a normal maintenance wash, I'm pretty happy. Seeing this a month later is downright shocking to me.

That's awesome from PERL! And that can be such a different results from deep cleaned tires. Have done it to my summer wheels with a tire coating as protection. But will look out for a brush that would suits on the drill.

Which dilution did you use PERL at?
    If you don't run a durability test. I would apply another coat with PERL now while it has gone a little time. To have it topped up. Maybe at a weaker solution just for maintance maybe.

Thanks for shareing your experience with it!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I received my order from Autogeek so I wanted to try the C6 Matte Dash on my recently purchased 2006 MX5. I read the directions so I shook it up and applied the first coat. I could see an improvement in appearance and it is also supposed to provide protection as well. I will wait 24 hours and apply 2nd coat as suggested in the directions. Then again in 6 months.

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

5. Likes SWETM, Coatingsarecrack, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a quick WW with N 914 and then topped up my IGL Premier with IGL Enhancer. Didn't pull the car out because it's cloudy anyways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though I washed my wife's daily driver two days ago with McKees 37 SiO2 Auto Wash I noticed it's pretty dusty already today.

Attachment 66886

I had on hand a non-AG brand waterless wash and.... don't laugh... Jay Leno's Quick Detailer so I did the liftgate 50/50 with each. Terrible conditions for doing this today but I'm channeling my inner minerigger.

To my surprise, the Jay Leno Quick Detailer is actually kind of awesome. It gobbled up the dust arguably better than the Waterless Wash and dealt with the full sun / hot paint better than the WW. It left a layer of slickness that I like; the WW isn't supposed to do that anyway. I don't see this QD in the AG store right but there are other Jay Leno products so I assume this post is allowed. I would totally use this as a drying agent if I was out of Bead Maker or I needed an actual QD which Bead Maker isn't.

Attachment 66887

9. Likes SWETM, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time I have used this product and I’m pleased so far. Directions say to apply every 6 months. We’ll see how it does.

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

11. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saturday finally washed my RS, washed the husband's Alfa and cleaned the interior of his Escape.
    All way overdue... finally had some time and decent weather to do them. Still need to wash the Escape and clean up my father-in-laws Hylander.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Saturday finally washed my RS, washed the husband's Alfa and cleaned the interior of his Escape.
    All way overdue... finally had some time and decent weather to do them. Still need to wash the Escape and clean up my father-in-laws Hylander.
    Didn't last long, today has been a crappy weather day. I was happy to finish coating my wife's car last Monday and it stayed dry for a whole week, today is the first time it's seeing some rain. Beading is great
    Bruno Soares

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Didn't last long, today has been a crappy weather day. I was happy to finish coating my wife's car last Monday and it stayed dry for a whole week, today is the first time it's seeing some rain. Beading is great
    Nice!
    Well I actually drove the father-in-laws car and cheated. So the RS is still clean in the garage
    Weather looks good tomorrow to drive.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for a little fun I did a 50/50 of Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus and the new Sonax Wheel Cleaner Max Effect. The little clearcoat that is on these oem wheels is failed on the inner spokes and out on the barrel. Lets look at the pictures.

The products from left Max Effect and Plus.

This is after 45 seconds. The Max Effect is starting to bleed much faster. Applyied only seconds apart.

The Wheel Cleaner Plus did catch up some after 4 minutes.

This is after 5 minutes of dwell time and just PW clean rinsing it off. No aggitations or other products applyied. Did also blow dry the wheel so you see the true results.

Useally i start with a tar remover so it desolve the tar spots and rubber residue and the adisive that holds together the brake pads. Then on the cleaning of this kind of dirty wheels I use a strong acid based wheel cleaner. And then control with a bleeding wheel cleaner to see so the iron partical has desolved. So after this little testing I used a tar remover that got it to desolve the tar and the other gunk. Followed with the Sonax Max Effect to the whole wheel. Some iron particals was left but very little on both sides. As the bleeding showed me. The failed parts did have some more iron partical build up. After 5 minutes of dwell time I aggitated it with a brush. And washed with a prep wash soap before clean rinsing it off with the PW.

Sonax Max Effect is a little more stronger than the Wheel Cleaner Plus. But the difference was not hughe but subtile. And that rotten egg smell is higher too from Max Effect which is as expected from it. If you have a lot of brake dust and some is embedded iron particals. It can be worth to use the Max Effect. Or if you want to have a stronger wheel cleaner to do touchless wash on the wheels. But use it on a dry wheel to get the most out of it.

Tomorrow i hope to be doing the last prep with the tires for a tire coating. Then Seal the wheels with Armor All Wheel protection on the barrels and Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating on the wheel faces.

/ Tony

19. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes bofh, Eldorado2k, PaulMys liked this post
Page 207 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 107157197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217257307707 ... LastLast