autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to make another investment (polisher)

I’ve been detailing as a hobby for quite a few years, and just recently began detailing for-profit.

I started with the older model PC7424, I believe it was marketed as a sander? A few months ago I picked up a Flex XC3401, which I paired with some LC Force Hybrid pads. This tool has greatly increased my efficiency as compared to the PC!

While I love the 3401, I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I really enjoyed learning a new machine when I purchased the 3401, and now I want to add another polisher to my arsenal.

I really like the Rupes line of products. The design and overall look of their products really does it for me. Would a Rupes BF LHR21 be a great addition? Or should I go with the Flex XFE7-15? Or a rotary? My only hesitation with the Rupes is having to buy all the Rupes pads and polishes as well.

I was thinking of turning my PC into a 3” machine, or should I buy a dedicated 3” machine?

Looking forward to your suggestions/opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to make another investment (polisher)

If you're doing detailing for profit , definitely get a rotary. It will save you a lot of time doing corrections. Both polishers have their place .

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot comment on a rotary.

I can comment on the Rupes system:

The system as a whole is great to learn. But sooner or later I quickly realize it’s ok to use other liquid and pad combination such as:

Meguiar’s Microfiber Cutting Disc + Jescars Correcting Compound

Rupes Yellow Pad + Sonax Perfect Finish

These are only a couple of examples...and they are what I prefer most of the time.

On the other hand, I could also comment on the Flex Finisher. It’s a very capable machine indeed. Though I reach for the Rupes most of the time, I have to say that the Flex Finisher is a smooth machine for sure. Plus the Ergonomics are great on the machine as well—very easy to handle.

If I can do it all over again with the Rupes (soon hopefully) I will opt for the 15 next time. I miss my 15 big time.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Oh one more thing that I should have asked first is:

What is your primary goals with your business?

Show Car Detailing or Production Detailing

I fall into Production Detailing as a mobile detailer and never found myself looking at a rotary.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I'll PM you, you'll save $$$ too

Post Thanks / Like

You're not married to the Rupes pads or polishes, but if you can figure out how to use them, you'll be set.

If you wanted to try their entire line, start with the blue and yellow foam pad / polish combinations, maybe the green medium cut. Do NOT install a washer of you decide to got that route. It will render the blue and green combos absolutely useless.

They do work well, and create incredible finishes, some of the best I've been able to deliver, but there is a learning curve.

A lot of people still like the rotary for compounding. It can be faster, but the trade off is guantareed holograms (which can usually be removed with a PC and the right pad/polish), and depending on the compound a lot of dusting and possible product sling. 3D seems to have a very nice set of liquids set up for rotary (3D One, ACA 500, ACA 520). I still like using them on occasion, but usually when there's a lot of oxidation on large surfaces.

Lighter, and smaller rotaries also lend themselves to surgical polishing with smaller pads. Ths can also be a +.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you pondered the GG BOSS machines? While I really like my Rupes 15 Mk2, the BOSS 21 I have is a very nice and in some ways preferable (to me) machine.

What I like more about the BOSS:
    - Progressive speed trigger
    - Ergonomics; it's slightly 'rounder' body seems to fit hands better than somewhat square-ish Rupes. I seem to encounter a bit less stalling when not paying attention due to angle of handle, dunno why. Rupes longer handle kind bends down while BOSS shorter and more neutral or bends a bit 'up'

Rupes is a tad smoother and quieter though and has a more pleasingly 'monolithic' feel to it. The BOSS feels more 'assembled' if that makes sense.

Rupes 15 & BOSS 21:
    Looking to make another investment (polisher)-boss_rupes-jpg

As far as Rupes 'system', started with that but ended up only keeping white & yellow polishes and pads. The Rupes 15 with billet backing plate and yellow pad is an absolute joy to work with, especially with Sonax Perfect Finish if that liquid is working well. Also the Megs microfiber cutting discs with Jescar Compound or Megs D300 is quite a pleaseure as well.

When working big flat panels, the BOSS 21 just eats things up quickly and far less taxing than Flex 3401 w/ Force Pads. Have also found that I don't really like the BOSS 21 w/ the 5" plate...seems to decrease overall smoothness considerably.

8. Thanks JustJesus, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, PaulMys, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowracer21 View Post
    I’ve been detailing as a hobby for quite a few years, and just recently began detailing for-profit.

I started with the older model PC7424, I believe it was marketed as a sander? A few months ago I picked up a Flex XC3401, which I paired with some LC Force Hybrid pads. This tool has greatly increased my efficiency as compared to the PC!

While I love the 3401, I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I really enjoyed learning a new machine when I purchased the 3401, and now I want to add another polisher to my arsenal.

I really like the Rupes line of products. The design and overall look of their products really does it for me. Would a Rupes BF LHR21 be a great addition? Or should I go with the Flex XFE7-15? Or a rotary? My only hesitation with the Rupes is having to buy all the Rupes pads and polishes as well.

I was thinking of turning my PC into a 3” machine, or should I buy a dedicated 3” machine?

Looking forward to your suggestions/opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm looking as well,I have an RBL 21mm which works well but I am having trouble deciding what to pair with it as it does everyrbing I ask of it but I have 3 rotary buffers already so I am only looking at orbitals

I think I may hold out for the new Lake Country orbital though as I think anything with less orbit than 21mm may be a step back for me.

I have used rotary polishers for over 25 years and believe them to be essential if you are detailing for profit but that's just my opinion
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    I'm looking as well,I have an RBL 21mm which works well but I am having trouble deciding what to pair with it as it does everyrbing I ask of it but I have 3 rotary buffers already so I am only looking at orbitals

I think I may hold out for the new Lake Country orbital though as I think anything with less orbit than 21mm may be a step back for me.

I have used rotary polishers for over 25 years and believe them to be essential if you are detailing for profit but that's just my opinion

Get a Makita PO5000C and thin pro pads
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 10-18-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Posting products not offered at Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Have you pondered the GG BOSS machines? While I really like my Rupes 15 Mk2, the BOSS 21 I have is a very nice and in some ways preferable (to me) machine.

What I like more about the BOSS:
    - Progressive speed trigger
    - Ergonomics; it's slightly 'rounder' body seems to fit hands better than somewhat square-ish Rupes. I seem to encounter a bit less stalling when not paying attention due to angle of handle, dunno why. Rupes longer handle kind bends down while BOSS shorter and more neutral or bends a bit 'up'

Rupes is a tad smoother and quieter though and has a more pleasingly 'monolithic' feel to it. The BOSS feels more 'assembled' if that makes sense.

Rupes 15 & BOSS 21:
    Looking to make another investment (polisher)-boss_rupes-jpg

As far as Rupes 'system', started with that but ended up only keeping white & yellow polishes and pads. The Rupes 15 with billet backing plate and yellow pad is an absolute joy to work with, especially with Sonax Perfect Finish if that liquid is working well. Also the Megs microfiber cutting discs with Jescar Compound or Megs D300 is quite a pleaseure as well.

When working big flat panels, the BOSS 21 just eats things up quickly and far less taxing than Flex 3401 w/ Force Pads. Have also found that I don't really like the BOSS 21 w/ the 5" plate...seems to decrease overall smoothness considerably.
    I still love the trigger grip on the boss
    Wish the progressive trigger was actually good like how the forced DA triggers are.

I may send you an S SERIES CUTFORCE TO review

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast