autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Need a Final Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

The durability is terrible in my location.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Again, I agree with you Doc.

I used NXT, and I thought it made the trucks metallic pop like crazy. I loved the look of it, and it was very easy to work with.

However, the durability was only 6-7 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post

I second that Paulie. NXT goes on easy and removes easily but I only got about 30 days worth of protection.

And just curious.... would all of you agree that the visual indicator that the product is no longer protecting or lasting on the surface is from the fall-off or diminishing of water beading?

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And just curious.... would all of you agree that the visual indicator that the product is no longer protecting or lasting on the surface is from the fall-off or diminishing of water beading?

Water beading and slickness are the indicators that I go by.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used so many products and always go back to what works best in every category: Collinite 476 for vertical panels and FK 1000p for horizontal panels. My car’s like a bullet proof vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Not necessarily, Mike. To just judge on water beading alone if a bit unfair. First off a panel must me clean via a contact wash. Typical road grime and dirt can alter the beading properties. Also something to consider when looking at a LSP's durability is the fact that maybe excessive above surface bonded contaminants are present which can greatly reduce beading properties. Finally looking at the sheeting quality of flooded water is also an indicator.

So short answer is YES but there are other factors at play.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Again, I agree with you Doc.

I used NXT, and I thought it made the trucks metallic pop like crazy. I loved the look of it, and it was very easy to work with.

However, the durability was only 6-7 weeks. And...... God help you if you get it on any trim.
    How did you know it was gone? NXT is a sheeting style sealant and becomes more of a sheeted after the first wash.

I haven’t used NXT in years but I got 5 months out of M21.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I second that Paulie. NXT goes on easy and removes easily but I only got about 30 days worth of protection. It provides a great shine and I suppose it could work as a good topper on some sealants. Right now I prefer Collinite.
    Same as up above. I could see if this was exposed to a harsh environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yup. I haven't bought any Meg's sealants in a long time because they all were horrible stainers, maybe the new ones are better but I'll never find out because there are so many products that don't stain...and I have enough of them to last the rest of my life, I think.
    Ultimate Wax doesn’t stain trim. Paint Protect 365 was another.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, (Guz and MikeP) I didn't really think it was "gone", but rather quite diminished.

And, to be quite honest, I probably did not do near the best detail work back then, but I am certain I was even "over careful" about prep after reading ad nauseam on here.

My criteria was not only loss of beading to sheeting, but the feel of the paint.

Again, I have Meg's products I love, I have just found way better LSP's. (For me.........)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

My criteria was not only loss of beading to sheeting,

but the feel of the paint.

Tactile feel is a credible indicator of "something" on the finish in my experience and opinion. I prefer products that leave the paint feeling slick and slippery. Some products do this and some leave the paint feeling rubbery.

And this tactile feel of the surface in part comes back to something I ALWAYS talk about here on the forum and in the world and that's the word touch.

Let me explain. You wash and wax your car and then feel the paint and it feels smooth and slippery. Then for most people, what is the next thing they will do to the paint?

A: Wash and dry the car. In other words, most people will TOUCH the paint with a wash mitt and car wash soap.

B: Wipe it with a water based product --> Spray Detailer or Waterless Wash or Rinseless Wash. In other words, the next thing most people will do to their freshly sealed paint is TOUCH it with one of these products.

It's HOW you touch paint and the frequency of touching the paint that will determine (in most cases), how long a product will last and how long a product will look good on the surface.

The two things I'm always typing and talking about,

Abrasive Technology - Getting the paint to look good.

Touching - Keeping the paint looking good.

It's a pattern.

10. Likes dlc95, SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Related article with good discussion...

advancement in sealants and wax's for water spotting

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've consistently had great experiences with Meguiar's protective products.

I became a believer in the late 90's.

I used to "wax" the family vehicles with M20 Polymer Sealant in the spring, and in the fall. I used to get a lot of "pilling" which I assumed was old sealant and road goo coming off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

The Meguiars NXT product line has been very popular here in Sweden for many years. I have not used it myself since I'm late into detailing with anything else I could get at the gas station. There it's Turtle Wax and Sonax products mostly. Meguiars is sold where you get your parts for your vehicals. And Meguiars is a high end products here and so is the price. The envy when looking on the prices you get it for is big. You can get a Meguiars product at the double of the price but mostly the trippled price and even four times of the prices you get it for. So they get to compete with other brands at the same prices and also at a higher price. Enough with the rant from me LOL. I don't know if this is an old product for you or it's a new product but one of them that is not offered in the US. But saw Meguiars has a topper for NXT wax. The Meguiars NXT Water Bead Booster.

/Tony

15. Likes infosponge liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast