autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Traffic Film a reason to not top off Sealant after a wash?

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of watching YouTube detailers and there’s the idea that if you do a maintenance wash you shouldn’t apply a refresher coat of whatever product because the soap you used is not strong enough to remove traffic film, so you end up sealing that grime on top of your paint or it’s not going to allow your topper to adhere to the layer below.

My maintenance wash process is to clean ONR and then apply Opti-Seal after that. Am I doing more harm than good?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Traffic Film a reason to not top off Sealant after a wash?

You are not necessarily doing any harm but you are sealing dull paint. The only way to remove road film is a good machine polishing. Mike Phillips wrote a piece about it a few months ago. You can probably find the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

If your lsp is any good at protecting and shedding dirt aka making the paint easier to wash, then there shouldn’t be any traffic film on the paint after your wash.

Traffic film is great at sticking to paint that’s not protected.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a non-factor. Whatever microscopic accumulation of road film that sticks to your current LSP that is not going to be washed off will remain on your current LSP; OR will remain under a newly added LSP. Either way, you should eventually polish and/or prewax cleaner it when the finish becomes dull looking due to the eventual buildup over many months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If your lsp is any good at protecting and shedding dirt aka making the paint easier to wash, then there shouldn’t be any traffic film on the paint after your wash.

Traffic film is great at sticking to paint that’s not protected.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

6. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once a month or 6 weeks use a product that has heavier cleaners rather than ph neutral. This will help release the traffic film (not the same as bonded contamination from brake dust etc). Then move forward with your sealant. Only polish if you are going to clean, clay, then polish, degrease, then lsp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of watching
    YouTube detailers and there’s the idea that
    if you do a maintenance wash you shouldn’t
    apply a refresher coat of whatever product

because the soap you used is not
    strong enough to remove traffic film...

My maintenance wash process
    is to clean ONR and then apply
    Opti-Seal after that.
    I’ll suggest that if your current soap isn’t
    quite strong enough to remove the normal,
    (or abnormal), amount of traffic-film build-up
    that’s accumulated between car-washings...
    then you should switch to a soap that will.

IMO: P21S Total Auto Wash is such a soap.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes Chopper280, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Traffic Film a reason to not top off Sealant after a wash?

Traffic film lol... You need special soap to remove it! It’s like the biggest pot of nonsense right there brah. If you keep up on washing your car you’ll be fine... I mean, if you don’t wash the car for a year - you may need to go more aggressive & decon + clay.

But; this thought that there is “traffic film” on yr paint after washing it if the the car is somewhat maintained is silly.

Like all the car washes all the detailers have been using all the years - folks - they just don’t work! It took 1 guy on You Tube to figure it out... You gotta wash your car with some Pep Boys style APC to get it clean cuz it’s NOT pH neutral!!!

So screwy. First of all - any soap or APC you are diluting to wash bucket dilutions is pretty close to pH neutral cuz you are diluting it in 5 gallons of water. Unless you are going to use like a few liters of it or something. It may bump the pH a point or so - which in the real world is what we call “clinically insignificant”.

Second, who says soap can’t remove traffic film? People have been using Dawn since the beginning of time to clean greasy pots and pans. Dawn is a soap - not unlike are car soaps. Nobody needs APC type soap get grease off their pots and pans. But, somehow, no soap that we pay like $20 a quart for that is specially formulated just to clean cars will work. We’ve all been scammed! Duped! It’s a conspiracy!

Third, whose to say pH is necessarily the most important factor when removing oily road film? Quite frankly, if you’ve ever tried to clean up oil with water based ANYTHING it works pretty poorly - regardless of pH. Just try to clean some REAL engine sludge off with Megs degreaser or similar. Good luck there. Then try to dilute that same degreaser in 5 gallons of WATER.

Quality car soap works well if used correctly on vehicles of decent maintenance. How do I know this? Because I’ve topped my wax or sealant like a million and one times after washing with regular soap and there is no dirt or traffic film on the wax applicator or towels. The only thing on it is wax....

The thought is crazy. Just keep doing what you are doing man. What matters more than any specific soap you use is just how well you wash your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Traffic film lol... You need special soap to remove it! It’s like the biggest pot of nonsense right there brah. If you keep up on washing your car you’ll be fine... I mean, if you don’t wash the car for a year - you may need to go more aggressive & decon + clay.

But; this thought that there is “traffic film” on yr paint after washing it if the the car is somewhat maintained is silly.

Like all the car washes all the detailers have been using all the years - folks - they just don’t work! It took 1 guy on You Tube to figure it out... You gotta wash your car with some Pep Boys style APC to get it clean cuz it’s NOT pH neutral!!!

So screwy. First of all - any soap or APC you are diluting to wash bucket dilutions is pretty close to pH neutral cuz you are diluting it in 5 gallons of water. Unless you are going to use like a few liters of it or something. It may bump the pH a point or so - which in the real world is what we call “clinically insignificant”.

Second, who says soap can’t remove traffic film? People have been using Dawn since the beginning of time to clean greasy pots and pans. Dawn is a soap - not unlike are car soaps. Nobody needs APC type soap get grease off their pots and pans. But, somehow, no soap that we pay like $20 a quart for that is specially formulated just to clean cars will work. We’ve all been scammed! Duped! It’s a conspiracy!

Third, whose to say pH is necessarily the most important factor when removing oily road film? Quite frankly, if you’ve ever tried to clean up oil with water based ANYTHING it works pretty poorly - regardless of pH. Just try to clean some REAL engine sludge off with Megs degreaser or similar. Good luck there. Then try to dilute that same degreaser in 5 gallons of WATER.

Quality car soap works well if used correctly on vehicles of decent maintenance. How do I know this? Because I’ve topped my wax or sealant like a million and one times after washing with regular soap and there is no dirt or traffic film on the wax applicator or towels. The only thing on it is wax....

The thought is crazy. Just keep doing what you are doing man. What matters more than any specific soap you use is just how well you wash your car.
    Great points here.

Get your car dirty, leave it for a month, and take your car through a touchless wash.

Even with the harsh presoaks and detergents, the film remains. This is why friction washes are more effective in actually "cleaning" the vehicle.

A vehicle regularly, and well maintained should be just fine topped with a sealant after a wash.

It's a practice that has been done long before this new crop of YouTube gurus rose to popularity.

12. Likes Eldorado2k, KBsToy, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You tube gurus----love it

14. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast