autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use the Rupes white Ultrafine soft 180mm Pad? Code 9 BF180S

I am looking for a pad to machine apply Collinite 476S every other month ... so I dont want any cut.
    is yours very very soft to the touch or just soft? Or does it feel slightly scratchy?

Apparently its Rupes softest, least cut pad.

It works very well speading this wax, but I was surprised it felt slighly agressive to the touch when say lightly brushed manually against the inside of your wrist, weirdly loaded with wax if pressed a bit more the slight abraisive feel reduces significantly ... but as opposed to the ultra soft 3M Ultrafina Blue pad (which feels like a Cashmere jumper).

Mine has all the right product codes on the back per Rupes site, but wondered if it was abraisive, re using it once every 2 months to top up the Collinite.
    It doesnt appear to induce any kind of marring, but then I havent removed the wax and had a look.
    I would hate to have machine jeweled it to my level of perfection and then be degrading it slightly with this pad.

When I bought it I recollect touching their 100mm version (Rupes say they both use the same foam) and if memory serves me well that smaller one felt much much softer.

Call me stupid thats fine ... but as a total newbie ... “if it feels abraisive it probably is abraisive, No?”

My concern is that they had a bad batch or used the wrong foam ? Unlikely I admit yes!
    My UK supplying dealer said its probably down to Rupes “open cell structure to dissapate heat” ?

OK for this “one off” Clay and final machine polish with my Makita DA, well its more a Jewelling job using 3M Ultrafina SE polish and the 3M Ultrafina finishing blue pads and then a double coat of Collinite 476S ... if it helped final polish (with the non abraisve Collinite) a bit, thats fine, but not what I want for ongoing regular maintenance.

I am interested to know what makes one foam pad more agressive than another?, other than it being firmer.
    Can a Pad feel a little rough yet not abrade the clear coat?

You may ask, why not just use the 3M blue Pad? ....
    - its got a waffle face, so not so easy to load with a firmish wax
    - they dont do a 100mm version (fits the 476s tin perfectly)
    - the firmer pad is easier to load with wax

other newbie ?

I assume I should clean this pad after each wax?
    As it takes a fair bit of wax, to load it up; its tempting to just place in a plastic sealer bag, but I assume as I am waxing outside ... airborne dust will get on the pad and thus in time it would become abraisive?

How do you wash / rinse off a pad coated with wax that claims correctly to resist detergents?
    can you wash it in a washing machine with liquid delicates detergent i.e. stuff for a cashmere jumper?
    whats the max temp it can take ... say 40C?

Or does one just chuck it in the bin and call it a cost of waxing?
    I was thinking of going to the 100mm size, as it take up less wax to load and costs less.

Out of interest, I did buy a cheap Ł2 chinese soft pad .. purely to spread polish on my granite worktop. LOL
    ... Forsensic Detainling said the supplier zfe were OK.
    But one of the customer reviewers said his experience of level of cut verses colours conflicted with the seller’s. Its things like this that for me make it a non starter.
    I wrote to the seller and they said the Black was the softest lowest cut final buffing pad.
    SPTA 6"(150mm) X 50mm Polishing Pad Buffing Pad Set For Car Polisher-Select Set | eBay

(Note ref putting competitive links in. This is not a reccommendation or an endorsement, on the contrary its actually a warning not to ... well it wouldnt be used on my Mercedes S Class Coupe! ) its just not worth the risk. Plus it took 3 weeks to arrive

I mentioned it , as it has a smaller cell structure than the Rupes and is a little less firm in structure; but is equally as rough to touch as the Rupes ... probably a bit more rough . But note I have no experience of pads ... never even touched a fine polishing or compounding pad. Hence need advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone use the Rupes white Ultrafine soft  180mm Pad? Code 9 BF180S-40fa814c-748e-479e-a966-4da8a16c05f6-jpg