autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BF One Vs 3D Speed

As far as longevity, stand alone both are done protecting around the 2.5 month mark.
    Jim

2. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Speed always hits the mark for me. I never have much correction to do, but if need be, it will correct quite nicely with the right pad.

That said, I completely agree with the good Dr Oldz on Speed's rich glow on darker/medium paints. Plus, the slickness factor is very pleasing to me.

As far as longevity, I could never speak to that as I always top Speed with a durable sealant/wax.

(And please, for love of God, no "Well then that defeats the purpose of an All In One" comments.............. )

Well that defeats the purpose of an AIO!

All joking aside. I have been topping AIO’s with Ultima Waterless Wash with Acrylic cuz it is super fast and adds to the durability about a month.
    Jim

4. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Well that defeats the purpose of an AIO! .
    That's it....... I'm headed to NE PA.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Dr Oldz, JustJesus, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the BF yet, but just may. I've used Speed on about 40 cars per year last couple years. Every now and then for some odd reason I'll hit a car that the speed bonds to like glue. Even misting with detail spray it requires 10 times the effort to remove as before. Last two it did this on was a 12 Subaru and a 05 chevy, so can't blame it on a certain type of car. Can't blame it on Speed for that matter, works great most of the time. My process is always foam soak, power wash, clay mitt, rinse, dry, then speed with either orange or white Lc force pad on a 3401. Magic 90% of the time, nightmare other 10 to remove. I'm clueless on that one. It's always produced great look when done, but after working so hard to remove it a few times I'm beginning to get leary, it's cost me allot of unexpected time and effort a few times now. Still I can't really blame the product as of yet, has to be something I'm missing here.
    The Subaru I knew something was weird right off the get go, it was like trying to use a rubber pad on a rubber car, flex had to be man handled hard to keep under control. Swapped to brand new pad, tried running a little wetter, little drier, didn't matter. Was just as hard to remove as going on. Looked great and felt great when done but felt like you just finished doing 5 cars in a row instead of one. The chevy a bit grabby putting on too, and even worse taking off.
    So there is that pattern, if it's making the machine grabby and hard to control going on, it probably will fight coming off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarbenz View Post
    I haven't tried the BF yet, but just may. I've used Speed on about 40 cars per year last couple years. Every now and then for some odd reason I'll hit a car that the speed bonds to like glue. Even misting with detail spray it requires 10 times the effort to remove as before. Last two it did this on was a 12 Subaru and a 05 chevy, so can't blame it on a certain type of car. Can't blame it on Speed for that matter, works great most of the time. My process is always foam soak, power wash, clay mitt, rinse, dry, then speed with either orange or white Lc force pad on a 3401. Magic 90% of the time, nightmare other 10 to remove. I'm clueless on that one. It's always produced great look when done, but after working so hard to remove it a few times I'm beginning to get leary, it's cost me allot of unexpected time and effort a few times now. Still I can't really blame the product as of yet, has to be something I'm missing here.
    The Subaru I knew something was weird right off the get go, it was like trying to use a rubber pad on a rubber car, flex had to be man handled hard to keep under control. Swapped to brand new pad, tried running a little wetter, little drier, didn't matter. Was just as hard to remove as going on. Looked great and felt great when done but felt like you just finished doing 5 cars in a row instead of one. The chevy a bit grabby putting on too, and even worse taking off.
    So there is that pattern, if it's making the machine grabby and hard to control going on, it probably will fight coming off.

That is interesting. The times I used it at a shop, Speed worked like a charm. The one time I use it on my car, I had a spot that didn't want to come off.

I think I had too much on my pad.

Post Thanks / Like

could have been the level of oxidation on the clear being removed gumming everything up?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that also, the level of oxidation or whatever being removed possibly... Just not sure. As far as too much on the pad, I attempted to run a little heavier and a little less with same result, but again, not at all blaming speed, because the majority of the time it's great.

11. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I have notice using mainly HD Speed and M37 360 as my AIO's regarding oxidation. The last time I had a problem with 360 was a black Toyota Camry. The paint had that grayish look from the oxidation. The 360 was sticking and was a bear to remove. Prior to that it was a 2005 Acura TL in red metallic. Again you could see the oxidized grayish look and the HD Speed was sticking like crazy. Additionally, both paint systems being on the soft side probably made it worse.

The only way I found to get around this was to work on smaller sections at a time. So you can get through the smaller amount of oxidation quickly and get some polishing done before it gums up. Or I will go over a sticky panel again quickly with the AIO not trying to correct, but just trying to clean it up. With the bad stuff removed the first time, the second time won't be sticky.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the same recently with Speed on two Honda S2000s I worked on. Soft paint and oxidation didn't help the process. Using my Makita PO5000 in force mode, the polisher would walk all over the panel and at some point, "jump" within each section pass. Wether I turned the speed down, used less product, changed to a new pad, it didn't help one bit. And when the pad bounced, it would lay more product down in certain spots and those areas were a pain to remove. So yes, I shared the same frustration recently. For the most part, it has always been user friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to reach for the bottle again.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear that, kind of confirmation of one of my passing thoughts. The first time on the Subaru legacy after I switched to brand new pad, tried different speeds, different amounts of product and no better results, I really thought my prankster buddy who does pdr work snuck in my shop and put hardener in my speed bottle lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast