autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Removing botched Cquartz Uk coating

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Here is the application procedure straight from CarPro's site.

This should help you with future applications

Nice work.

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To update, i tried an orange pad but unfortunately still have cquartz residue waxlike streaks. Ive already made about 4-5 passes over each panels 3x in 3 days in a row with the M205 but dont want to keep doing this fearing damage to the clearcoat. Im curious if anyone thinks its a good idea to use something like 70% IPA, goof off or some other chemical than can help dissolve the cquartz.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
    To update, i tried an orange pad but unfortunately still have cquartz residue waxlike streaks. Ive already made about 4-5 passes over each panels 3x in 3 days in a row with the M205 but dont want to keep doing this fearing damage to the clearcoat. Im curious if anyone thinks its a good idea to use something like 70% IPA, goof off or some other chemical than can help dissolve the cquartz.

Thanks
    Coatings are very much chemical resistant (and that's why they're good!) so abrasion is the only way to remove them once cured.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post

Thanks
    It may be time to step up to a compound. Do you have photos so we could see what you are working with?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive attached a few pics to show the cquartz residue which im struggling to get off. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing botched Cquartz Uk coating-m3-1-jpg   Removing botched Cquartz Uk coating-m3-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty messy. Time to step up to a compound. I have to say I am surprised though. I use CQuartz and remove it with Menz 3500 which is very similar to Megs 205.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your tips, I went through Mike Phillips (thanks for sharing your tips) videos as to using a DA and was able to get just about all of the Cquartz residue off. I spent about 3 hours going over the car twice with using Meguirs Ultimate compound with a orange pad. I initially bough an orange pad from Amazon that had fragmented squares but it worked terrible. Ironically the Harbor freight orange pads worked for me as it was the only thing I could get local to me. Im now onto using the M205 to get some subtle haze that I have left over.

Ive decided not to put Cquartz on and will reserve it for my beater car and given that I prefer 8-12 month waxing, I opted to get the Wolfgang deep gloss and spray package from auto geek.

9. Thanks Mikertt thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear your problem is fixed. We learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

Post Thanks / Like

Car craft auto detailing- youtube channel video is durability test of sealant wax and coating this guy takes of uk in one of his videos with a liquid solvent wipes it right off didn’t effect clear coat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12