autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I ruined my leather seat

Dunno what year this car is, but here is what the dealer will likely do for you: they will get used car AIO Mr Leather Bumper Repair Dude to repaint (yes paint) the leather for you. Out of pocket it's like a $75 repair - so I'm sure this is the way they will go. It will likely look good if dude is slick - it's just not a very durable repair for a driver's seat.

If the car is several years old - you will get NADA. No way they are replacing the leather seat cover for you - unless the car is close to brand new.

But, people here seem to LOVE Griots and their wonderful customer service and warranty. So, if you are convinced their product is responsible for this - maybe you should reach out to Griots for a new seat cover - since my understanding is it was fine before their product touched it. This would not be a defect in the seat leather coating (auto manufacturers warranty) - but a defective product from Griots that caused damage. Not quite sure why you expect Audi to fix this if it was fine before the Griots product touched it?

In the real world - I'm going to ask you - when was the last time you cleaned this seat & what year is the car? Are you the original owner? Because - that to me looks like the urethane leather coating may have been compromised in that area from sitting on a wallet in your back pocket. If youre not the original owner - the seat may have already been re-colored. If so, wear like this is normal.

Also, if you buy a car with leather seats that are close to white - you gotta expect stuff like this to happen over time. It's going to be almost impossible to keep a white leather drivers seat close to perfect on anything but a Sunday driver. I would just leave it how it is unless you are willing to replace the factory seat cover. Because any leather "repair" on a high traffic area like that will look like crap in a year.

Also, I can pretty much assure you no towel was the direct cause of this; regardless of what type of towel it is. These seat covers should be able to withstand several years of dry cotton, denim, & synthetic fabric abrasion before the coating fails. You can scrub most factory leather seats with a softer nylon brush and it should be fine. No towel is more abrasive than a nylon/plastic bristled brush. Like, the owners manual doesn't say you can't sit on the seats with clothes made out of certain fabrics. And, when you are using a cleaner - the towel is wet, further decreasing the friction. Unless, of course, there is something in your cleaning product that can soften or weaken the leather coating.

2. Likes itsgn, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I ruined my leather seat

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Dunno what year this car is, but here is what the dealer will likely do for you: they will get used car AIO Mr Leather Bumper Repair Dude to repaint (yes paint) the leather for you. Out of pocket it's like a $75 repair - so I'm sure this is the way they will go. It will likely look good if dude is slick - it's just not a very durable repair for a driver's seat.

If the car is several years old - you will get NADA. No way they are replacing the leather seat cover for you - unless the car is close to brand new.

But, people here seem to LOVE Griots and their wonderful customer service and warranty. So, if you are convinced their product is responsible for this - maybe you should reach out to Griots for a new seat cover - since my understanding is it was fine before their product touched it. This would not be a defect in the seat leather coating (auto manufacturers warranty) - but a defective product from Griots that caused damage. Not quite sure why you expect Audi to fix this if it was fine before the Griots product touched it?

In the real world - I'm going to ask you - when was the last time you cleaned this seat & what year is the car? Are you the original owner? Because - that to me looks like the urethane leather coating may have been compromised in that area from sitting on a wallet in your back pocket. If youre not the original owner - the seat may have already been re-colored. If so, wear like this is normal.

Also, if you buy a car with leather seats that are close to white - you gotta expect stuff like this to happen over time. It's going to be almost impossible to keep a white leather drivers seat close to perfect on anything but a Sunday driver. I would just leave it how it is unless you are willing to replace the factory seat cover. Because any leather "repair" on a high traffic area like that will look like crap in a year.

Also, I can pretty much assure you no towel was the direct cause of this; regardless of what type of towel it is. These seat covers should be able to withstand several years of dry cotton, denim, & synthetic fabric abrasion before the coating fails. You can scrub most factory leather seats with a softer nylon brush and it should be fine. No towel is more abrasive than a nylon/plastic bristled brush. Like, the owners manual doesn't say you can't sit on the seats with clothes made out of certain fabrics. And, when you are using a cleaner - the towel is wet, further decreasing the friction. Unless, of course, there is something in your cleaning product that can soften or weaken the leather coating.
    update 10/19. Received a call from the Naples Audi Manager who apologized (duly accepted by me) who must have read my review on a dealer review website. Very nice guy. He remembered the incident with the tire rotation. (Another story that doesn’t need to be told now.)He says he should have gotten involved earlier and I should have received a call earlier from the SA. They are ordering a new bottom seat cover (from Germany) on warranty. I’m satisfied and happy that they are doing right by me. It shows me that if the right people are involved, it wouldn’t be handled like this and I’m sure he’s telling the SA’s this.. My faith is restored in Audi Naples.
    Car was purchased brand new by me in 8/16. In 2+ years, I have 12200 miles. Never a wallet in my pocket. I never eat or drink in the car. No kids. Cleaned it last about 3/4 months prior and it cleaned fine. I don’t expect a light seat to remain perfectly clean but I expect to be able to clean it and I also don’t expect the protective coating to be compromised at 12000 miles. Every other seat is perfect.

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    I’m satisfied and happy that they are doing right by me. It shows me that if the right people are involved, it wouldn’t be handled like this
    Huh? So are you happy or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Jj
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Huh? So are you happy or not?
    I guess the first few words of my post saying that I’m satisfied and happy aren’t clear enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I ruined my leather seat

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    Jj
    I guess the first few words of my post saying that I’m satisfied and happy aren’t clear enough for you.
    I’m just kidding with ya... But you did say that “if the right people are involved, it wouldn’t be handled like this”
    So you would’ve preferred the wrong people to be involved? Lol. J/k

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m just kidding with ya... But you did say that “if the right people are involved, it wouldn’t be handled like this”
    So you would’ve preferred the wrong people to be involved? Lol. J/k
    Obviously no. The luck of the draw. If you get someone who actually cares about how they perform their job, great! Performing excellent Customer service goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the seat cover replaced via warranty tomorrow. Thanks Audi Naples👍

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234