autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I ruined my leather seat

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

As aside note, I regret buying bulk cotton towels. With the price Costco and department stores (after their multiple discounts) charge for top quality cotton terry. I should have just bought towels; used them for a while and then cut them up for rags. I would have better rags and better bathroom towels.
    I don’t... That’s because I buy 2 different types of cotton terry towels, 100% cotton terry towels which are used for wiping down leather seats and vinyl door panels, and poly/cotton blend terry towels which I use for cleaning carpets & matts. The blend towels are built tougher and absorb liquid better, while the 100% cotton towels are softer and better for more delicate surfaces such as leather seats.

IMO Trying to use plush cotton bath style towels for mopping up carpets just doesn’t cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t... That’s because I buy 2 different types of cotton terry towels, 100% cotton terry towels which are used for wiping down leather seats and vinyl door panels, and poly/cotton blend terry towels which I use for cleaning carpets & matts. The blend towels are built tougher and absorb liquid better, while the 100% cotton towels are softer and better for more delicate surfaces such as leather seats.

IMO Trying to use plush cotton bath style towels for mopping up carpets just doesn’t cut it.
    What poly/cotton towels do you recommend? I’ve been looking for a while to build up a healthy supply.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I ruined my leather seat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    At first it looked like dirt so I attempted to clean it as I always had done in the past. And it always went away. This time the “dirt” never went away. Bringing it in to Audi since the car is under warranty being 2 years old with 12k. Never experienced this in 30 years with any other auto.
    That is awfully strange.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Audi may bend over backwards for you, or they may try a little csi to see if it's your fault. Be careful with how you word things. There should be a page in your owner's manual that states exactly how to care for your leather. Good luck.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of it dry from this morning. Yes, it clearly states in the manual how to clean the leather using products for leather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think I ruined my leather seat-fb52144e-b664-4ed0-8ff2-ef5afcf07555-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can see it in the pic, but it doesn't look bad when everything is dry...

I would think you should get it taken care of, but might consider bringing some leather cleaner to demonstrate to the dealer the difference in the seatcover. Im not sure how much push-back these luxury dealers give on things like this. I could see my Honda dealer saying a little discoloration is normal based upon wear and tear, or color variation is within acceptance range.... then you have to escalate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Audi may bend over backwards for you,
    having owned a couple Audi's I would say not likely. customer service hasn't been what I see as their strong points at all.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's any manufacturer that's going to bend over backwards to take care of that. Even if it isn't your fault, their going to say it is. They've got people walking in there all day long trying to get warranty work for something they did wrong. They're immune to it.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been many times I wished there was a leather coating that could be applied to repair/restore seats that have had the original coating worn off and look terrible as a result. There are a lot of different specialty products for doing everything imaginable to leather except one that restores the protective coating, at least as far as I know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast