autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for recommendation on ceramic coating and some maintenance questions

Looking at switching to ceramic coating over the winter. This will be my first go around with ceramic coating. Application will be done @ ~70 - 80 degrees.

Place: Phoenix, AZ. Temp ranges from 30 - 120
    Cars: Daily; One parked in garage and one kept outside. Both have paint film protection.

Was looking at:

• CarPro UK w/Gliss
    • CarPro CQuartz w/Gliss
    • CarPro UK w/another layer of CarPro CQuartz
    • CSL/EXO combo

For my location, what would be the best of the rest? When do I need to apply ceramic coating again? Do I need to buff out or can I wipe down with IPA or eraser and apply another layer?

Also, from 'wash' perspective, I use Optimum no rinse w/wax or Ultima WW+. Can I continue to use these to wash after the ceramic coating is applied? What do I need to do for 'up-keeping' of the coating and how often? I see CarPro has reload. Is Gtechniq liquid crystal the right one if going the CSL/EXO combo?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for recommendation on ceramic coating and some maintenance questions

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    Looking at switching to ceramic coating over the winter. This will be my first go around with ceramic coating. Application will be done @ ~70 - 80 degrees.

Place: Phoenix, AZ. Temp ranges from 30 - 120
    Cars: Daily; One parked in garage and one kept outside. Both have paint film protection.

Was looking at:

• CarPro UK w/Gliss
    • CarPro CQuartz w/Gliss
    • CarPro UK w/another layer of CarPro CQuartz
    • CSL/EXO combo

For my location, what would be the best of the rest? When do I need to apply ceramic coating again? Do I need to buff out or can I wipe down with IPA or eraser and apply another layer?

Also, from 'wash' perspective, I use Optimum no rinse w/wax or Ultima WW+. Can I continue to use these to wash after the ceramic coating is applied? What do I need to do for 'up-keeping' of the coating and how often? I see CarPro has reload. Is Gtechniq liquid crystal the right one if going the CSL/EXO combo?

Thanks.
    Can’t go wrong with either of these. Pick either and you will be fine.

A coating needs to be polished off prior to another coating. In most cases one will need to polish at the 1-2 year mark.

Each line offers a “maintenance” spray sealant. CarPro has Reload and GTechniq has C2V3. You can use them every now and then if you wish.

You should decon wash it at least once a year.

Plenty of more information on the forum about coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for recommendation on ceramic coating and some maintenance questions

On your last question, no. As these products leave wax or gloss enhancers, it will disrupt the coating's properties. Use McKee's n914 or wolfgang rinseless for your rinseless washes.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    On your last question, no. As these products leave wax or gloss enhancers, it will disrupt the coating's properties. Use McKee's n914 or wolfgang rinseless for your rinseless washes.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    Wolfgang also has gloss enhancers, but probably not that much. I would think N-914 is recommended.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Out of the combos listed, which would last the longest?

Post Thanks / Like

I would not get to hung up on which will last the longest. Durability will vary on how the vehicle is maintained and the environment it is exposed to.

As I mentioned in most cases one will need to polish within 1-2 years.

7. Likes Rmd liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry... more more question. Re: Towels to wipe off the coating

Are the suede towels recommended or can I use any short nap microfiber (ie. Costco) towels? Throw away after all sides are used to wipe off?

Post Thanks / Like

Edgeless 300 from the rag company. Save the costco towels for coating wheels but not paint.