autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing for winter season

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would do a thorough wash. And apply a fresh coat of the 845IW. Don't know how the Klasse sealant is with bonding on 845IW. But since you did apply it not so long ago. I think that you have some of it left. So for bonding reason I would go with only 845IW. Which will get you through the winter with ease since your driving habbits and garaged kept is how you described.

If you where to wash during the winter and would like to ad some more protection on the car. I would recommend Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer to apply every other month or every month. What I have heard it plays well with the look on the 845IW. And is like a sealant light product with easly 6-8 weeks longevity from it.
    What about Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax? Sonax is not easily found in stores, and I'll have to order a bunch more products to save on shipping charges.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Meg's UQW on 845 and it looks amazing. I used that combo for many years before I moved on to coatings.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've used Meg's UQW on 845 and it looks amazing. I used that combo for many years before I moved on to coatings.
    I've used UQD before, and it seemed to leave quite a noticeable streak... I don't know how things are now though.

How is the protection compared to Sonax?

Post Thanks / Like

Not many QD or QW comes near the Sonax BSD in longevity. But since you have 845IW as base. The Meguiars QW would be good too. It's just for that little extra.

Are you doing rinseless washing? It could be an option to do after every drive you do. Depending on how much of dirt you get on your car when takeing it out for a spinn. And use some rinseless wash with the extra protection in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Not many QD or QW comes near the Sonax BSD in longevity. But since you have 845IW as base. The Meguiars QW would be good too. It's just for that little extra.

Are you doing rinseless washing? It could be an option to do after every drive you do. Depending on how much of dirt you get on your car when takeing it out for a spinn. And use some rinseless wash with the extra protection in it.
    Never done rinseless washing before... Kind of scared to because I might damage the paint. Is it really as simple as spraying the foam and wiping it off...? If so, I just might give it a try since washing cars in winter is a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    Never done rinseless washing before... Kind of scared to because I might damage the paint. Is it really as simple as spraying the foam and wiping it off...? If so, I just might give it a try since washing cars in winter is a nightmare.
    Once you try rinseless, you'll be amazed.

A few things to note: It is not for extremely dirty (think caked mud) cars. But, that's a no-brainer.

A pre-soak with your favorite QD, or RW solution on lower or gritty panels will help.

Use MANY towels/mitts, and once one side has done it's job, fold to another side. After that, that particular towel is done and gets thrown into the "spent" bucket.

Rinseless is easy, quick, and safe when done correctly. Do yourself a favor, and give it try.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing for winter season

Rinsless maybe your only option for winter. When I lived in NH, out door washing in winter was out of the question. Hoses were put away to prevent line freezing. Plus not to mention working with water in sub freezing temps causes hypothermia. I actually had that working on an Acura late in November. Took two days to get warm again.

I would to a touchless then get home and to a 2bm of rinsless. I still have Meg’s D114, but just picked up a gal of M914.

I prefer ceramic coatings, but a good wax for winter is Collinite 476 double wax.

Of course now that I’ve moved to AZ, I scratch my head and say, what’s winter????? On a nice 75 - 80 degree February day, the only thing I’m shoveling is sunshine Detailing for winter season

Or just move to AZ, where your winter routine won’t be different than your summer routine.

Before (NH) Winter car-care:

After (AZ) Winter car-care:

Detailing for winter season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes SWETM, PaulMys, ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest with you I to am scared to do waterless wash or rinseless wash. Have never done it myself. But I have Carpro Ech2o at home and will be testing to do both. It's very uncommon in Sweden to do waterless wash or rinseless wash. I do have the confidense that doing it with the right technique and the dirt level is low. It's a safe methods to be doing. If you have the possibility to do a thorough rinse first it's going to be even safer to do. I have just don't been in a situation yet where I had to do it. It was water restrictions this summer. But got access to a large wash bay that I could wash my car in. But will be interesting to test both methods out and see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used UQD before, and it seemed to leave quite a noticeable streak... I don't know how things are now though.

How is the protection compared to Sonax?
    I've used UQW in everything from direct blazing sun to fairly cool temps and never had any streaking. I almost never had to buff off either. I spimply sprayed on and wiped off.

I never measured protection and since 845 is so durable, I never cared. I was applying the UQW as a drying aid and a bit of a shine booster. If I had to guess, I'd say the UQW would last a couple weeks depending on environmental conditions.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

What about Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax? Sonax is not easily found in stores, and I'll have to order a bunch more products to save on shipping charges.
    if there's any gripe I have autogeek, it's the shipping. To not only pay for shipping, but generally have it be pretty slow is the only frustration i have with this place.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast