autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing for specific vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    True for the most part. I had a Range Rover to deal with one time that had every type of grill guard, light guards, tail light guards, every type of African jungle protection that existed. This thing never even saw a muddy road but those areas were all but impossible to reach. Due to that and the time involved I charged them a Princely sum and they paid it. No guilt here friend, it was bugger to work on.
    This.Pricing for specific vehicles....
    Not to mention the sheer size of the vehicle compared to normL vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post

The point in my original question was meant to be "is there any justification to up-charging exotic vehicles, and if so why?"

One could most certainly up-charge anytime there is additional work required beyond what the standard service provides. But that goes for any vehicle and is not exclusive to exotic cars. At least that's what I am thinking at this point.
    Exotic/show cars/classic cars almost always have their own special quirks or require some sort of specialized approach.. Take this car for example, the owner’s going to want you to hit every nook & cranny... BTW you cannot get the car wet... So you’re going to have to do it all either waterless or rinseless.

This is after I did a waterless wash. The car had been sitting under a loose car cover for over a month and it was filthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Right. These aren't upcharges because the guy is rich enough to drive the latest Porsche or you think he dropped $100k on a new RV. These are specific instances where the job is much more difficult due to the demands placed on you either by the customer or the specific vehicle.

Those same demands could have been made by a guy driving a 2009 Toyota Tundra with every Pep Boys add on imaginable or a guy driving a 1977 Datsun B210 that can't get wet because none of the window seals keep water out anymore. That's not vehicle specific pricing, that's job specific pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pricing for specific vehicles....

I’m set to do this car on Saturday.

It’s black, it’s a classic car, it’s never been washed in the whole year since it got re painted, and the owner knows how to spot swirls... lol. It’s a good thing I’m confident with my waterless wash technique.Pricing for specific vehicles....

4. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool old car!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Right. These aren't upcharges because the guy is rich enough to drive the latest Porsche or you think he dropped $100k on a new RV. These are specific instances where the job is much more difficult due to the demands placed on you either by the customer or the specific vehicle.

Those same demands could have been made by a guy driving a 2009 Toyota Tundra with every Pep Boys add on imaginable or a guy driving a 1977 Datsun B210 that can't get wet because none of the window seals keep water out anymore. That's not vehicle specific pricing, that's job specific pricing.
    Totally agree. Every example here is because of the work you will have to do on the car NOT just because its an exotic. The price shouldnt be different BECAUSE of the name on the front. It should be more because it will take you longer or you need special tools. I dont think a door jamb NEEDS an Ibird or a Nano. I think small areas like that example can be done by hand and not necessarily need a special tool. Same thing with a glass/plexi cover. Its not cause its an exotic, isnt that just considered a window? Do the other windows not get "show car ready" Do you charge by the window too in that case?

I think it all comes down to NO you dont charge more cause of what the customer makes or because he spent $390k on a vehicle. You charge for your time.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

7. Likes Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep it simple. I charge hourly. No matter the vehicle. Paint correction is more. A simple wash is less. I pick and choose my service.... if it’s something that is risky, I talk to the customer about it or I refuse the work.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Totally agree. Every example here is because of the work you will have to do on the car NOT just because its an exotic. The price shouldnt be different BECAUSE of the name on the front. It should be more because it will take you longer or you need special tools. I dont think a door jamb NEEDS an Ibird or a Nano. I think small areas like that example can be done by hand and not necessarily need a special tool. Same thing with a glass/plexi cover. Its not cause its an exotic, isnt that just considered a window? Do the other windows not get "show car ready" Do you charge by the window too in that case?

I think it all comes down to NO you dont charge more cause of what the customer makes or because he spent $390k on a vehicle. You charge for your time.
    Call it what you want... All I know is 9 times out of 10 classic cars require a specialized approach and that definitely results in me charging a bit more. Same thing with an RV, if it wasn’t for me doing it who will? The owner sure isn’t going to climb on that roof and scrub it clean... Do you charge a measly $60 bucks to wash a 40’ RV?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the moral of the story is that you should make it clear to the customer. Because rich guys are probably used to being sought after for their money lol.

Detailer" "I know my package costs $250, but I will need to charge $300 for this ride because it's big, has a bunch of attachments or difficult angles/paint etc."

that would be the best approach I think.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

11. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not detailing for money here and have had 0 experience with a car costing more than $60K, so for whatever its worth, here's my opinion of what everyone is saying.

IF you come in with a Ferrari, classic car, kitted out hummer or whatever high end, or intricate merchandise, the bill will be more. Its not the pricey car upcharge; the job is just different.

It will take longer time, it will take more tools, and it will take specialized labor.

Be realistic, if a Ferrari owner came in and said they want your $100 (or $150, or whatever the number) quick buff and spay wax special, you would say no, thats a quick and easy job for a Toyota Camry where the owner just wants it clean and a bit shiner than before. And if he insisted, yeah thats what I want... you really shouldn't take the job because you won't be able to do the job to your standards, there is a ton of liability there, and it isn't going to come out nice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't see anything wrong with telling the guy flat out, that the job you need to do on a Camry is different than the job you need to do on a Ferrari. The expectations, work involved, tools involved and people involved etc. Also as a guy that understands business, I think you're crazy if you're nto charging a higher rate on specialty work. Your time doing specialty work getting the car to 99% on a Ferrari is worth significantly more than bringing the Camry to 85-90%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I keep it simple. I charge hourly. No matter the vehicle. Paint correction is more. A simple wash is less. I pick and choose my service.... if it’s something that is risky, I talk to the customer about it or I refuse the work.
    That's probably the best way to go about it ,that way way your backside is covered for unexpected difficulties
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast