autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless or Rinseless while on vacation?

Greetings all! Getting ready to take car on vacation. Drive will be 3 days 1500 miles. Was thinking that I could take waterless supplies and wipe down car when we arrive at destination. Buddy says rinseless would be way better. FWIW, the car has been coated with CarPro Quartz UK. I would have to do rinseless at a self-service wash, so would require much more equipment to go with us. So far I have had very good luck with waterless for the weekly maintenance of DD (different vehicle) with no marking that I can see. And of course, when we get home it will get the full wash. Just up in the air about course of action.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless or Rinseless while on vacation?

Why would you have to go to a self service wash for rinseless? I’m not following.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

AAHHH..... I see your point. If at self serve just wash the car... I would have to get the hotel to let me fill the buckets (collapseable) for a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do rinseless. I don't understand how people use waterless, except for a quick bug stain. Waterless is just not enough liquid on the surface and then you go scrubbing on it and make it worse. you need a flooded house and/or loaded microfiber with rinseless. If you're staying at hotels it's easy, just use the trash bucket -the plastic trash bucket in each room -usually perfectly clean , mix up the rinseless and get it done.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hvdcman2 View Post
    So far I have had very good luck with waterless for the weekly maintenance of DD (different vehicle) with no marking that I can see.
    Sounds like you already know how to do it and how easy it really is to do... I wouldn’t hesitate to go straight waterless. [I personally waterless wash my own vehicles quite often]

If it was me, I’d do a quik waterless wash each night once you park the car at the hotel you’re staying at. That way it’ll be quicker + guaranteed less dirt to deal with all at once compared to waiting till the end of the 1,500 mile road trip. Plus it’ll be nice to wake up each day to a fresh clean car.

Post Thanks / Like

Waterless or Rinseless while on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I don't understand how people use waterless, Waterless is just not enough liquid on the surface and then you go scrubbing on it and make it worse.
    I don’t think anyone’s scrubbing... It’s simply wiping across the panel in 1 direction, never actually going back & forth over the same spot whatsoever. If you have a quality lsp protecting your paint, 95% of the dust/dirt wipes off with that initial soft glide of the towel.

7. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I travel for a few days my main concern is just getting the bug debris off the front end of the car. From my experience rinseless wash is the best way to go.

I bring a small pump sprayer filled with rinseless wash diluted to the waterless wash dilution ratio. This is used as a presoak. I then have a 3.5 gallon bucket (w/gamma seal lid) filled with 2 gallons of my rinseless wash and 6 microfiber towels. I throw in a Poorboys mesh microfiber towel also for any stubborn bug remains.

This along with say a couple small Griots PFMs for drying and a kitchen trash bag to hold the dirty towels is really all I need for a few days on the road.

For a 3-day trip my advice would be to worry about only the things that might potentially do some damage to your paint (i.e. baked on bug debris). Your car is coated so it will be just fine until you return home and can do a “proper” wash (whatever that entails for you). Give your OCD a rest and just enjoy your time away...
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would load a gamma bucket with rinseless wash plus towels soaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t think anyone’s scrubbing... It’s simply wiping across the panel in 1 direction, never actually going back & forth over the same spot whatsoever. If you have a quality lsp protecting your paint, 95% of the dust/dirt wipes off with that initial soft glide of the towel.
    Exactly. There is no scrubbing going on. I'll be the first to admit I was not a fan of waterless washes when I used a sealant as an LSP and probably didn't use the best waterless wash available. However, once I started using coatings and got my hands on some CarPro Ech2O, I finally "got it". On a car that is only slightly dusty, You can easily and quickly clean the car in only a few mintues with far less hassel than dragging out hoses and buckets.

Bucket washes do have their place. I'd never do a waterless on a vehicle that had more than a light covering of pollen and/or dust.

To the OP: My advice might be a little controversial, but don't worry about washing your car. Spend that time with your family and enjoy the trip. If you have serious bug issues, take it to a coin-up car wash and blast off all the bug debris with a pressure washer and leave it at that. Another option would be to simply pack a bottle of bug remover and a few towels. Don't worry about dirt and road grime. The coating should protect you over that short time. Once you get home, then break out the buckets and give it a proper, post-trip bath.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Desertnate, enjoy the trip and don't worry about bugs....unless you happen to hit a swarm of lovebugs. Get that off in a hurry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast