autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Alloy Wheel Scraping Repair

An hour ago, I had the displeasure of driving too close to a granite curb when parking and managed to chew up a 3 inch edge of the car's alloy wheel, plus some other scrapes more on the body of the wheel. I know the only great fix would be to dismount the wheel, grind the metal down and repaint the wheel and remount the tire, but that obviously is expensive and time consuming.

Has anyone had any success with an alloy wheel filler/epoxy? I see some on Amazon and there was a specific alloy wheel filler on Ebay that is sold out. I imagine autobody filler would work too, but that comes in larger amounts, though I may have something in my cellar, but it would not be aluminum alloy color.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alloy Wheel Scraping Repair

Machine face or painted wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailsbydennis View Post
    Machine face or painted wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Both machined and painted.
    Shared album Google Photos

The damage is on the machined edges. The curb was white granite, but there are black streaks in
    the embeded scratches. I tried some Meguiars Heavy compound on the scarred edges and somehow pulled out some black color, but the embedded black streaks stayed.

You can see the fine grooves in the machining, but it appears that the metal is coated with some kind of satin paint.

If I could match the paint and just spot spray the areas, it should be much less visible.

Trouble is there is no way to extract a "paint chip" for a paint shop to match.

This is a Honda Accord Sport Wheel.

I spoke to a local shop and they want $150 to dismount the tire and CNC cut the damaged areas flat and ? repaint?

Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar happen with the right rear wheel of my Ram pickup. About 8"-10" along the outside edge of the wheel was damaged on an 8" high concrete curb that the rear wheel rode up against. I began by sanding the scratches with a small sanding disc (1" diameter) on a Dremel tool removing the heavy damage. I continued with 220G using a narrow backer board to keep the sanding flat, then followed with 320G, 400G, 30 micron, and 15 micron 3M sandpaper. I then moved to rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and finally Wheel Wax. I didn't take any before photos of the rim because I thought I was going to end up replacing it because the gouges were so deep. Imagine running a course wood rasp across the face of the wheel, that's what it looked like. I cannot tell where the damage was on the wheel now. My rims are clear coated and I removed the clear coat in the area I sanded but have seen no discoloration or discernible difference between the repaired area and the rest of the rim.

The area where you have most of the damage on the wheel is where I sanded out my rim. You need to make sure you are sanding flat so you don't change the profile.

Post Thanks / Like

Vince,

I have a Black and Decker RTX, which will take Dremel attachements. I presume you mean a mini drum sanding attachment.

Dremel makes a Sanding/Grinding Guide: A576 Sanding Grinding Guide - dremel.com

but one would have to dismount the tire to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually used a 220G sanding disk that fits on a spindle and is held with a small machine screw and free handed that part to remove the heavy damage then moved to hand sanding as I described above. The damaged area was 1/2" wide at the outermost edge of the wheel. I wrapped the sandpaper around a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of wood for a backer board. This took several hours carefully working the damaged area. All this was done with the wheel and tire on the truck. I just rotated it as needed to be able to sand comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like

Vince,

Yeah, I'm sorry, I should read better. You did say disc.

I would have to go buy some discs, all I have are cutting wheels.

I briefly played with a small file on the area, but it was too large to fit on the edge, but I did manage a few motions. It appears that this metal is somewhat tough, apparently you had no trouble grinding down the alloy?

Please describe this "backer board" you used....

Post Thanks / Like

Vince,

I found this YouTube video:YouTube

The author uses a Dremel "flat disc" which is an accordion pleated narrow wheel for the dremel.

Did you use this kind of disc, or a disc with the abrasive coating the outside of the disc?

Compared to this video, I think my scratches, really deep serration/gouges are deeper than a surface scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Any repair process you decide to do will be very time consuming and costly. If I were you I would just bring it to a shop specialized in refinishing mags. Around here in Montreal, they charge about 150$ to do the work. So that's like 115 US$. If you do it yourself, it will probably cost you about 20-30$ in material and at least 4 hours of your time (probably more) and the result will not be as good if it's the first time you are doing it. Up to you. If you want to see the whole repair process, search youtube for ChrisFix's video on wheel repair. He uses the sanding and filling technique.

Post Thanks / Like

The sanding discs I used were the 220G flat discs. I had them already. The damage I removed was somewhat deep like the video you found but was confined to the outside edge.

412 Sanding Discs 220 Grit - dremel.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast