autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Most aggressive effective combo for Porter Cable 7424

I am about to paint the roof of my car. I will need to wetsand afterward for any mistakes I make and level the clearcaot. I want to know what is the best polish/pad combo for a Porter Cable 7424 to remove 1500-2000 grit sanding scratches.

I mainly use Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish 2 so I am not as familiar with newer/other polishes/compounds. Last time I painted I found that Menzerna IP and a 4 in orange LC foam pad did not quite get all the sanding marks out and it was a lot of work, had to go with some 3M compound mixed with IP to make it workable and it improved but was still not perfect. I recently tried Mequairs Ultimate Compound with a micro fiber pad yet it was no more effective on 2000 grit sanding scratches and deeper scratches then a common polish like Menzerna IP.

What is the best/most aggressive combo for a PC to use to compound/polish out 1500-2000 sanding marks and deeper scratches? I was thinking Griots Fast Correcting Microfiber pads(any recommendation on size) and Griots Fast Correcting Cream, I read good things about that combo. Any other recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most aggressive effective combo for Porter Cable 7424

So far for me, LC microfiber pads with Car pro clear cut has produced great results with my PC. Even better than 105 and it finishes better too. But with just a PC you are in for some work no matter what pad/compound.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by machz View Post
    So far for me, LC microfiber pads with Car pro clear cut has produced great results with my PC. Even better than 105 and it finishes better too. But with just a PC you are in for some work no matter what pad/compound.
    Thanks, I understand the PC will be more work then a rotary, just wanted the most most aggressive/best combo that I can get for the PC for the sanding scratches and deeper scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I’ve seen people using the LC Thin Purple Foamed pads with the PC.

Not as aggressive as straight wool and a rotary, but it should get some work done.

Another option would be to sand up to 3000 or 5000 grit. Then you will have a much easier time removing the sanding marks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I think I’ve seen people using the LC Thin Purple Foamed pads with the PC.

Not as aggressive as straight wool and a rotary, but it should get some work done.

Another option would be to sand up to 3000 or 5000 grit. Then you will have a much easier time removing the sanding marks.
    Thanks, I never even knew about those foam/whool combo pads. Looks they would be much better over yellow foam pads which I never cared for(don't seem to be much better then orange pads and seem to do more damage to what I am polishing in some cases).

Do you think these purple foam/whool pads are more or less aggressive them microfiber pads?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the CarPro Denim Orange Peel Removal Pad or other similar pads designed for removing orange peel(I am sure to a certain extent) without wetsanding? I have been seeing good results even with a DA on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

The standard LC purple foamed wool, and LC microfiber with Meguiar's M100 is probably the most potent combo I've ever used on the 7424.

The standard orange/black Buff and Shine Microfiber pads have also done some very heavy correction work too.

The PC is more than up to the task if you have the right products and technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I know wet sanding is a real pain in the toosh but, the finer the sandpaper (like 5000) the more refined the paint will be. After that almost any 'compound' will take those sanding marks out.

I've used Meg Ult Compound with a white LC pad (on a 'PC') on smaller re-painted with good results.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Megs D300 and Megs Xtra cut 5 in microfiber discs for the painted/cleared/sanded roof and it turned out excellent as far as getting rid of 2500 sanding scratches. Good cutting power that made short work of the 2500 sanding scratches after a few passes and going over areas a couple times, I was surprised it almost finished down to a final step, I did not even notice much hazing or micro marring at all and probably could have gotten away with it as a last step but I still did a couple passes with a white pad and Menzerna final polish/finish II. I used a orange 4in pad and Megs D300 for drip rail area, between sunroof, and spots I could not to with the 5in pad, did a decent job but did not get all the scratches out but good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the others have provided good, sound advice. Try sanding with, at least, a 2000 grit. Preferably, up to 3000. And, whatever pads you use, the cleaner they are, the better they will work. So, buy enough pads. For what it's worth, I prefer the microfiber pads and Menzerna FG 400.
    While cutting, use at least 15 lbs of force on the pad, and use speed 6, and go slow. 1 inch per second. Keep your pads clean as you use them. Clean them by turning the pc on, and use a mf towel wrapped around your two strongest fingers, lay the machine against your leg, and apply the towel to the spinning pad.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09