autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning bird poop... Full wash or QD?

I washed my car on Wednesday. And I drove my car to work on Friday. After coming back home, I noticed that there was yellow-ish splatter at the bottom of my windshield!

I roughly examined the paint, and there didn't seem to be any bird poop on painted surface. I couldn't be sure though as my house faces west - during sunset it is difficult to examine the paint.

I was wondering what my options are. Should I do a full wash? Or can I just wipe down the car with QD?

I drove the car about 15 miles on Friday over the duration of an hour or so. The car was parked indoor. My car is always parked in garage at home.

I've never done QD wipe down.... Is it just as simple as spraying the entire car with QD, and wiping it with MF towels? I would appreciate any input

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning bird poop... Full wash or QD?

In my experience, for a single spot, I would go the QD route. Time is key also. The next level would be to simply do a "spot wash". Hit it with a hose, soap it up, then rinse. If the whole car has a layer of light dust, you could do a spot wash for the bird dropping, then just rinse the rest of the car and QD as you dry.

Either way, get the bird crap off ASAP! Don't put it off 'till the next wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a ONR type of rinse-less wash if your car has been on the road since it was washed. It just takes one nice grain of grit to make a paint defect. The fact that you are cautious enough to ask this question shows that you care for your car.

4. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    I would use a ONR type of rinse-less wash if your car has been on the road since it was washed. It just takes one nice grain of grit to make a paint defect. The fact that you are cautious enough to ask this question shows that you care for your car.
    I don't have ONR or any waterless-rinseless products at home. Furthermore, I've never used these products...

If you think I take care of my car, you should see me take care of my house lol. Washing the car is no issue. It just takes 30 min. But cleaning up after the car wash takes several hours....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post
    In my experience, for a single spot, I would go the QD route. Time is key also. The next level would be to simply do a "spot wash". Hit it with a hose, soap it up, then rinse. If the whole car has a layer of light dust, you could do a spot wash for the bird dropping, then just rinse the rest of the car and QD as you dry.

Either way, get the bird crap off ASAP! Don't put it off 'till the next wash.
    Thanks for your input.

My car is white, so it is hard to see what's on the paint surface. Furthermore, like I said in my original post, it was even more difficult to see during sunset.

I wonder whether it could be something else since the goo-ey splatter thing on the windshield is solid yellow. And I've never seen a bird dropping like that

Post Thanks / Like

i would just spot clean the bird crap (or any other small mess). once the car is washed, i really don't like to touch it till the next wash...

Post Thanks / Like

I just wet a thick soft kitchen paper towel and plonk it on. So its totally soft and then repeat. And sort of slide/ scoop it off when its totally runny. Just avoid any scrubbing action

If its bad then I admit I hose it off , rinse with filtered water and blow dry it ... using a dedicated clean leaf blower.
    Yep its OCD .. but it sure beats the hassle of a machine correction polish later.
    Drives my wife crazy ... but then I dont have a ton of swirls or micro scratches.

I have seen some folks scrub it off with a wet paper towel. IMO you really want to avoid that at all costs, it can be very gritty sh@t.

My sister left some purple coloured bird poo, on her 6 month old AMG S Class for about 3 weeks and it ate right through the clear coat 2”x 1.5” oval patch in the middle of the roof!
    It looks dreadful! It also looks so deep I reckon it needs resraying .... lesson learnt mine get checked at least every 3 days!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this:

Poorboy?s World Bird Sh#t Remover, bird dropping stain removal car

It's always worked well for me even if the poo was dry & crusty.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of throwing the wet MF towel on the poop and letting it rehydrate. After that (time is variable), I use a waterless wash to wipe the poop away. I will usually WW the whole panel so it doesn't look unevenly clean.

I've used Poorboys as well as various APCs and grime removers, but a soaked MF towel works just fine and is safe for paint.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I typically do a spot water less or rinse less wash.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast