autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Portable rechargeable pressure washer

What do you all think of the Sun Joe SPX6001C-XR Cordless Pressure Washer to use in winter (my outside water lines r turned off, hoses removed, thus easy portable rinse off of salt n stuff before rinseless wash) when temperature gets above freezing in the North east. Hopefully not breaking any forum rules with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Portable rechargeable pressure washer

I have seen a few videos on that model, I think it was Scott, aka Dallas Paint on YouTube. He also liked the Worx Hydroshot for the flexibility of using it with any water source. Those could be good options given you winter issues. Neither have much pressure but will beat nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    What do you all think of the Sun Joe SPX6001C-XR Cordless Pressure Washer to use in winter (my outside water lines r turned off, hoses removed, thus easy portable rinse off of salt n stuff before rinseless wash) when temperature gets above freezing in the North east.
    I have no personal experience with neither this, nor any other cordless pressure washer, but to me they seem to be pointless, because
    1. corded electric supply is available everywhere where you can reasonably expect to want to wash your car
    2. most decent "corded" pressure washers are able to pull water from a bucket just as well, not only from a hose/pipe
    So, a corded pressure washer can very well be used under circumstanced where you don't have free-flowing water and low temperatures.

A cordless pressure washer seems to me especially useless in winter and/or at very low temperatures, because then you can't use its own tank to carry water in it (because it would obviously freeze in there), and because battery capacity and charge degrade very quickly with low temperatures (so you will not have much use for the builtin battery either). So, under these circumstances even a fully cordless washed will have to fall back on external electric and water sources (even if just for charging / filling prior to use), which will turn them - for all practical purposes - in a very expensive and clunky, on-trick-pony version of a "corded" pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I have seen a few videos on that model, I think it was Scott, aka Dallas Paint on YouTube. He also liked the Worx Hydroshot for the flexibility of using it with any water source. Those could be good options given you winter issues. Neither have much pressure but will beat nothing.
    There's a lot of bad info on this forum these days IMHO... That being said - I have a HydroShot & it works really well - if you set it up right. If not, it's not much better than a hose. Use it on the end of a hose on high with a dirt blaster attachment & it will give you enough pressure to rip your skin off.

Ask me how I know...

The battery lasts long enough to clean 1 car & wheels very well. It's significantly faster to use than a regular pressure washer - but puts out less volume. IME it takes about 4 gallons of water to pressure wash a car pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

The Worx Hydroshot is a great tool for the winter. You can draw water directly from 5 gallon buckets and there is no need for a hose. You can fill the buckets with warm/hot water and rinse away. I can usually do my Ford Explorer with two full buckets. I also bring the Hydroshot on the road with me when I travel and I have the need to wash the company car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. . I have the hydro shot that I use on my boat when at the dock. Works great. Will use on my car this winterWhen above freezing)

Post Thanks / Like

I am considering a Worx Hydroshot because I actually like the fact that it has lower pressure than a plug-in electric or gas power washer. When I wash my car in the winter, I do it in my garage and want to keep the splashing to a minimum. I only need to take off the big stuff, I'll actually wash the car using a rinseless wash.