autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What gives TUF SHINE its SHINE?

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I have found that there are not many very good ways to remove these tire coatings. The TS cleaner does not really remove it. The M37 cleaner does not really remove the M37 tire coating either. Tarminator will do a number on it, but not totally remove it. GG Rubber Prep won't take it off either.

It took repeated cleanings over 2-3 weeks to remove the M37 coating the last time I reapplied. You can usually reapply it once or twice. After that the recoating will look like crap and you'll need to strip it back down
    I wrote this a long time ago when I asked Nick how to remove the tire coating. This works on a fresh application. The older the tire coating the easier it is to remove with the cleaner.

How to remove DP Tire Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the TW tire cleaner actually remove the coating?

I'm in the process of removing the M37 from my wife's BMW tires. The original coating is about 16 months old. It was recoated around the 8-10 month mark. I'm out of tire coating so I'm trying to remove it. I have cleaned them with M37 tire cleaner, Shine Supply Wise Guy tire cleaner, Mother Back to Black tire cleaner, Westley's Bleeche-white, and ZEP Purple Industrial cleaner so far scrubbing with a TS brush. Since the coating is a bit old its coming off better than a fresh coating for sure, but I can still see the coating in many places. I don't think it will ever come out of the ribbing and tiny lettering.

The tires on my own car still do not absorb regular tire dressings properly. I did my best to strip them back in late spring. They have been cleaned at least once a month since then too. Its getting better but its not an easy process to remove it.

I loved the way the M37 tire coating performed. It was extremely durable for me. The satin sheen was just right for me. They also cleaned easily with normal shampoo. I just felt that when I got to my 3rd reapplication it looked terrible. That prompted me to try to strip it.

I think you're kind of married to the tire coating for the life of the tire once you've applied it.

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Didn't the TW tire cleaner actually remove the coating?

I'm in the process of removing the M37 from my wife's BMW tires. The original coating is about 16 months old. It was recoated around the 8-10 month mark. I'm out of tire coating so I'm trying to remove it. I have cleaned them with M37 tire cleaner, Shine Supply Wise Guy tire cleaner, Mother Back to Black tire cleaner, Westley's Bleeche-white, and ZEP Purple Industrial cleaner so far scrubbing with a TS brush. Since the coating is a bit old its coming off better than a fresh coating for sure, but I can still see the coating in many places. I don't think it will ever come out of the ribbing and tiny lettering.

The tires on my own car still do not absorb regular tire dressings properly. I did my best to strip them back in late spring. They have been cleaned at least once a month since then too. Its getting better but its not an easy process to remove it.

I loved the way the M37 tire coating performed. It was extremely durable for me. The satin sheen was just right for me. They also cleaned easily with normal shampoo. I just felt that when I got to my 3rd reapplication it looked terrible. That prompted me to try to strip it.

I think you're kind of married to the tire coating for the life of the tire once you've applied it.
    Nope, the TW Tire Cleaner will not remove the coating. I haven’t found any cleaner that’s really effective at removing the tire coating. If and when I have to remove it I rely more on the type of brush and have had the best results with that old Meguiars Tire Brush they used to sell back in the days. It may not look it, but that brush can work some wonders on tires, but even then it’s alot of work..

A brass bristled brush might work but I’ve never tried it for removing tire coating. They’re supposed to work great on white wall tires and I can’t think of any tire brush that’s more aggressive than that.

I know what you mean about trying to switch back from tire coating to dressing and it never wanting to accept the dressing again... It’s not a death sentence but it’s close and can seem like a daunting task to try and bring the tire back to virgin status.

5. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I wrote this a long time ago when I asked Nick how to remove the tire coating. This works on a fresh application. The older the tire coating the easier it is to remove with the cleaner.

How to remove DP Tire Coating
    That link was exactly what I needed, so thanks. I am assuming Tuf Shine is based on the same ingredients as DP Tire Coating.

Eric

Mike Phillips

And just to add to this discussion....

I coated just ONE tire on the below Corvette and then wrote the below review on 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Review: TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat by Mike Phillips

The owner of the Corvette contacted me today, says it looks great, no problems and wants me to do the other 3 tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That sucks to hear... The TW Endura Tire Coating can be re applied over itself an infinite amount of times and never looks like crap. The only bad part is I’m down to my last bottle and I’ll eventually have to switch to these other tire coatings which from reading all the negatives seem to pale in comparison.What gives TUF SHINE its SHINE?

That was the best stuff. Wish I had a stockpile of it. I haven't had any in like 3 years. I was so mad when they discontinued it. Nothing else is the same as this stuff.

9. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used the TS coating and wasn't a fan personally. From what I've heard about a lot of other coatings I'm not sure I'd try them either. I like Perl. Lasts long enough for me and when I reapply it takes 2 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    That was the best stuff. Wish I had a stockpile of it. I haven't had any in like 3 years. I was so mad when they discontinued it. Nothing else is the same as this stuff.
    I’m down to my last full bottle of the TW Endura Tire Coating, but I do have a healthy stockpile of the TW Endura Trim Coating [I think I’ve got like 5 bottles of it] and it can be applied to tires and does a heck of a job of looking the part upon application, but it can’t match it’s longevity on tires. It does pretty good for touch ups over a base layer of the tire coating, but on its own, even when 3 layers are applied it pales in comparison. It’s phenomenal on trim though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12