autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Interior Detailing steps

I know there’s other similar posts, but this is 2018 and I’m trying to see what different people are doing for steps while doing the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Interior Detailing steps

Vacuum carpets
    Vacuum dash and interior vinyl with vacuum brush attachment
    Shampoo carpet
    Wipe interior plastic
    Clean seats
    Apply interior vinyl conditioner
    Glass
    Vacuum up the carpet shampoo
    Odor neutralizer
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

3. Likes Dereksdtail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because I do many of these jobs by myself, I do the car in quarters (plus the hatch area if applicable last).

I remove the mats and slide both seats forward.

I grab my leather cleaner/conditioner (if necessary), plastic/vinyl cleaner/conditioner, vacuum hose, kneepad, carpet shampoo, scrub brush, assorted brushes, terry towels, put them in my bag and head to the rear of the vehicle.

I then vacuum the carpet and a little more than half the back seat. I then shampoo the carpet and the seat until all staining is removed. If the seating is leather, I clean and condition the leather. I scrub all the plastics clean. I do the back of the front seats at this time as well. I do the rear of the center console.

Then I go to the other rear seating area and repeat.

I then go to the front seat on that side, slide the seat back, and repeat.

Then move to the front seating area on the other side and repeat.

Vacuum and shampoo the mats. If they're rubber, I treat them with the cleaner I use on tires and scrub them with a stiff brush and water. I save the rinsing for when I rinse the car after washing.

If the vehicle has a hatch, I then do that last.

I deodorize the vehicle and the mats and then reinstall the mats, touch up anything that I may have missed, revacuum quickly to make it look perfect and call the inside done. If I'm washing the car too, which I usually am, I close it up and do the outside.

I get very good results using this method and it is also extremely fast because I'm not spending a lot of time retracing my steps. At first it seems daunting to complete all the tasks in one section, but after you've done it a few times there's a real good flow to this method.

5. Thanks TrustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes Farmallluvr, gspam1, TrustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure if you meant “steps” because I don’t think the steps would really change over the years.

Products change for sure.

Steamers and extractors have been around for a while. There are those that like to use a scrub brush attachment for the DA and people that have the air power to use Tornador cleaning guns.

The order of steps can be different and I like to see how others go about it.

My general steps in order are:

Vacuum whole interior well while agitating with a brush. Stiff one for carpets, and a round detail brush and toothbrush for the dash and plastics.

Clean windshield and top of dash, then work my way down the dash. I’ll pre wet funky cup holders and other needed areas then too.

Then I clean each seating area section by section. I usually start in the drivers seat, then go to the back seats, trunk, and then finish in the front passenger seat.

I start with a clean rag and do the door glass and surround and then work down. Clean headliner if needed. Clean kick area or seat backs and lower plastics. Spot clean floor. Clean seat and move to the next area. I clean the seat last because that is where I sit while I clean the other areas.

Protection at the end and then a light vacuum for anything that was kicked up while cleaning.

Double check the glass.

Floor mats get done early or late in the process depending on how bad they are.

I will also “start” on cleaning the floor carpet early if it is bad. I pretreat and agitate occasionally if needed as I clean other areas.

Post Thanks / Like

My "steps" are setup like they are to keep from re-introducing dirt into the previous step. If I did quadrants of the car, I feel like I would track dirt from a dirty quadrant into a clean one.

Always gotta do glass AFTER putting dash conditioner on! The applicator or my hand always hits the glass and leaves a smudge.

I use a tornador for carpets so that's one reason I want to get that done first because on really dirty cars it can blast dirt around.

I always vacuum in a quadrant system so I don't drag a dirty vacuum hose through the interior. Same for any extension cords.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I’m not sure if you meant “steps” because I don’t think the steps would really change over the years.

Products change for sure.

Steamers and extractors have been around for a while. There are those that like to use a scrub brush attachment for the DA and people that have the air power to use Tornador cleaning guns.

The order of steps can be different and I like to see how others go about it.

My general steps in order are:

Vacuum whole interior well while agitating with a brush. Stiff one for carpets, and a round detail brush and toothbrush for the dash and plastics.

Clean windshield and top of dash, then work my way down the dash. I’ll pre wet funky cup holders and other needed areas then too.

Then I clean each seating area section by section. I usually start in the drivers seat, then go to the back seats, trunk, and then finish in the front passenger seat.

I start with a clean rag and do the door glass and surround and then work down. Clean headliner if needed. Clean kick area or seat backs and lower plastics. Spot clean floor. Clean seat and move to the next area. I clean the seat last because that is where I sit while I clean the other areas.

Protection at the end and then a light vacuum for anything that was kicked up while cleaning.

Double check the glass.

Floor mats get done early or late in the process depending on how bad they are.

I will also “start” on cleaning the floor carpet early if it is bad. I pretreat and agitate occasionally if needed as I clean other areas.
    Sorry misworded jt. Meant it to say something like have your detailing steps changed over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically start off by removing all the mats and using the air compressor to loosen stuff up and to blow loose stuff out from under the seats and from between them. Then I blow out the door kick panels and vents (takes maybe 7mins)

If the carpets aren’t bad, I start with the dash and plastics. If the carpets are bad, I vacuum up the loose stuff first and then use the attachment with the brush for a more deeper vacuum.

After vacuuming, I’ll clean the leather, if no leather then I’m still vacuuming and then I do the seats first as they take longer to dry then the floors and no one wants a wet ass when they get their car back. After the initial vacuum, I will attach a brush to my polisher make sure I got everything. Revacuum

Then I shampoo the carpets and seats. And mop up what I can and then revacuum, add a fan to speed up drying.

Clean the windows and finally run a ozone generator or odor bomb while I clean the floor mats, trunk then pack up.

Post Thanks / Like

First step for me is to maddog the preclean - blower and vacuum to get all the dry, nonstuck crud out. I don't want to get anything wet that I can efficiently get out dry.

The steps after that, depend on how dirty the car is. I will tend to go over surfaces in layers before having to go back over a finished surface. I need finished to be finished.

11. Likes Rtrick87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might try Sudsmobile's method this weekend. I get tired of going round and round for each step.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to share what I did with detail a couple of days ago and guess what I used to clean the carpet mats... my kid's baseball bat - about 2 ft long. I was hitting the mats to get rid of all our almost all the dirt and sand! So effective!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast