autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car wash at coin op and polish at home?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    The coin-ops around me say "No bucket washes." They even have cameras and the owners will show up and tell you to leave. I can't figure out why it's a problem, but it is.
    We used to have one in my town (before all of the tourism took over).

Same deal. They didn't want you to take up any more time in the bay than the timer gave you, or else they'd lose a dollars worth of quarters "from the next guy".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes JustJesus, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    ... or else they'd lose a dollars worth of quarters "from the next guy".
    what's funny is I usually get 20$ worth of quarters for the several rinse sessions while I'm there.

4. Likes PaulMys, Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    what's funny is I usually get 20$ worth of quarters for the several rinse sessions while I'm there.
    I probably should have mentioned it was 20 years ago since they removed ours. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OH ! ! That's a long time ago!

Post Thanks / Like

On the matter of taking to much time in the wash bay, I would often wait until after 5PM to go to the car wash. All the staff is usually gone by then.

9. Likes PaulMys, Frank70 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in self serve and automatic car wash business. Bucket washing hurts revenue, sometimes substantially if it gets out of hand. People are in a rush these days and will not wait very long if at all before they'll drive off. bucket washing slows throughput and increases the chances of drive offs. A lot of operators tolerate bucket washing in the off hours(evenings and weekday mornings) but during peak hours it's just too busy to allow it.

11. Thanks wing commander thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    I'm in self serve and automatic car wash business. Bucket washing hurts revenue, sometimes substantially if it gets out of hand. People are in a rush these days and will not wait very long if at all before they'll drive off. bucket washing slows throughput and increases the chances of drive offs. A lot of operators tolerate bucket washing in the off hours(evenings and weekday mornings) but during peak hours it's just too busy to allow it.
    Hello gregpack. Congratulations on your business! I agree, taking up wash bay time during high volume times is inconsiderate. In my case, I always made an effort to avoid those times and it seemed to work for all. I actually enjoyed it more during the "off-peak" times as there were no kids with radios blasting. Kinda peaceful actually.
    As for the original poster, one thought might be to utilize his local commercial wash bay either very early in the morning, or the night before he intends to perform his full detail at home. He gets what he needs, and the volume of traffic is uninterrupted.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fair comment and why when on the few times I have done it, I do in off hours.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in self serve and automatic car wash business. Bucket washing hurts revenue, sometimes substantially if it gets out of hand.
    Thanks for chiming in!

Post Thanks / Like

I do this when my car is quite dirty. First I blast the big dirt and wheel wells off with the power washer. Then I wash with car with my bucket. If I'm going to polish, then I feed more dollars in and coat the car in pre-wash. This makes a great claying lubricant, and I clay the car. Then I feed more dollars and rinse the car and end w/ a spotless rinse. I then dry the car. I am 8 blocks from the car wash. I get home and I'm ready to polish. I always dust panels before I polish because there's no guarantee dust, bugs etc. won't settle on a stationary car.

I am sensitive to taking time in the bay. At my local car wash, there are two self-serve bays. I've never been there and had anyone occupy the other bay, much less wait for the bay I'm using. The full wash seems to get pretty good use though.

BTW, if you are polishing, the wash step goes faster because you don't have to be quite as careful about the finish.

Double BTW, ever try claying, then using Iron-X? Very little "turning red" going on with the paint after claying, except on the wheels (which are a PITA to clay).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast