autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove Klasse AIO? Causing wiper chatter

Quote Originally Posted by bpc135798642 View Post
    Thanks again for all the advice. Just to follow up on what worked and what didn't...
    1. The Ceriglass took the Klasse AIO off with just a hand application. Wipers were great after that.
    2. I then applied the Aquapel but same issue with wiper chatter. Not as bad as the AOI, but significant enough that I felt the wipers would be damaged with extended use. The Aquapel was much harder to remove - it took two thorough polishings with my small orbital (yellow pad) to remove it - it really had bonded hard to the glass. After I removed the Aquapel, wipers now function correctly again.

Hence my conclusion is the chatter was caused by some interplay between the wiper design and the coatings I had on the windshield. I won't be applying anything there in future, although after all this effort I do now have a really smooth and clear windshield!
    Did you replace the wipers? Inserts only should be less than $15 USD.

I personally lay down McKee's Glass Coating then after a few weeks, I begin using NeverWet for Glass. I only re-apply it when the effectiveness dwindles. ZERO chatter. Key though is to start with fresh blades.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not - I wanted to see how the current blades performed after I removed everything from the windshield. When the wipers blades are next due for replacement, maybe I'll try the McKee's or Aquapel again.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have good luck with Aquapel. But the last three applications resulted in awful wiper chatter. And I always apply the Aquapel after a thorough cleaning with McKee's Glass Restorer.

Any recommends for glass coating that will guarantee I don't get wiper chatter? What are some new favorites?ive been out of the loop for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    I used to have good luck with Aquapel. But the last three applications resulted in awful wiper chatter. And I always apply the Aquapel after a thorough cleaning with McKee's Glass Restorer.

Any recommends for glass coating that will guarantee I don't get wiper chatter? What are some new favorites?ive been out of the loop for a bit.
    they key is in the prep and to insure your wipers are new. you have to clean and polish the glass to the point that when you hit it with water, it actually "clings" to the surface. if you squeegee it off it should leave a clear line of demarcation where you can actually see the water clinging to the area that you didn't squeegee. there should be absolutely no beading when wet. that's when you know you are down to bare clean virgin glass. if you have installed new wipers as recommended, you should be able to turn them on even before the coating and things will be smooth.

once that's done, dry the area completely and use McKee's Glass Coating. it works well. Two layers and that's it. done. if you do that and use NEW wipers, you'll be fine, the water will sheet off the glass as you drive.

if you don't want to use a coating, I stand by Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass. I love this product as it flat-out works great. Lasts about 4-6 weeks but is super easy to reapply. I personally use a coating and then over time simply use NeverWet going forward to keep the hydrophobic effect perfect.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing this out there. I have ran Mc Kess glass coating for years without any real issue. Lately the last few blade changes with good blades, I have noticed some judder. Blades just not moving smooth across the windshield. Bothered me enough to look into it. My blades etc.. are in good working order. So I decided to strip the windshield clean. I read any good polish will do this. So I had Mc Kess coating prep polish on hand. Did two complete cleanings by hand. Figured it has to be stripped now. Wipers worked 100% better. I have read that sometimes the coating works too good producing the judder. For now it`s clean and I don`t think I will be putting anything else on the windshield. Your thoughts on this subject?
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    they key is in the prep and to insure your wipers are new. you have to clean and polish the glass to the point that when you hit it with water, it actually "clings" to the surface. if you squeegee it off it should leave a clear line of demarcation where you can actually see the water clinging to the area that you didn't squeegee. there should be absolutely no beading when wet. that's when you know you are down to bare clean virgin glass. if you have installed new wipers as recommended, you should be able to turn them on even before the coating and things will be smooth.

once that's done, dry the area completely and use McKee's Glass Coating. it works well. Two layers and that's it. done. if you do that and use NEW wipers, you'll be fine, the water will sheet off the glass as you drive.

if you don't want to use a coating, I stand by Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass. I love this product as it flat-out works great. Lasts about 4-6 weeks but is super easy to reapply. I personally use a coating and then over time simply use NeverWet going forward to keep the hydrophobic effect perfect.
    Thanks. I used McKees high Performance Glass Restorer, cleaned residue with Sprayway, followed by an IPA wipedown. Glass was literally squeaky clean. Water laid flat and wipers were smooth before I applied the Aquapel. Now, the water behavior is outstanding. Works as intended. But even with new wipers I get some chatter. Funny thing is that when dry, the wipers glide just fine. And when it rains, the first few swipes are smooth. But after about 15 seconds the chatter starts.

Same process I've always used. I used to have great luck. And these last two times I get the chatter. Might have to try the McKees coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    Thanks. I used McKees high Performance Glass Restorer, cleaned residue with Sprayway, followed by an IPA wipedown. Glass was literally squeaky clean. Water laid flat and wipers were smooth before I applied the Aquapel. Now, the water behavior is outstanding. Works as intended. But even with new wipers I get some chatter. Funny thing is that when dry, the wipers glide just fine. And when it rains, the first few swipes are smooth. But after about 15 seconds the chatter starts.

Same process I've always used. I used to have great luck. And these last two times I get the chatter. Might have to try the McKees coating.
    Could be the Aquapel interacting with the compound in the blades too. On my Audi, only Valeo blades worked. Others were crap. On my wife's new Lincoln the factory blades didn't like the McKee's, put on new Rain X Blades and they are perfect. On my car factory ones are perfect.

I hate messing with wipers as much as I hate messing with the balance on tires. Both drive me crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Could be the Aquapel interacting with the compound in the blades too. On my Audi, only Valeo blades worked. Others were crap. On my wife's new Lincoln the factory blades didn't like the McKee's, put on new Rain X Blades and they are perfect. On my car factory ones are perfect.

I hate messing with wipers as much as I hate messing with the balance on tires. Both drive me crazy.
    Thanks for pointing this out! These are brand new factory (OEM) blades. I have a bucket of old blades of various brands. Why I save them, I don't know... but suddenly I have a reason! I noticed that the OEM blades must have a heavy load of graphite (or something?) on them. I wiped them off when prepping for Aquapel and my white towel was instantly COAL BLACK. Anxious to see what happens here. Thanks again for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I rethought this issue this morning. Ok. Did the coating prep polish remove it or really just deep clean it? So I knew the windshield was clean at this point. So I figured I would re coat it with the McKess . Followed directions the letter. Used a lake co. foam applicator. Let it set up for 2 min, the buffed with a mf towel. Maybe it was a build up of dirt, drying aids, hydro blue etc. Did a quick check of the wipers with the windshield wet of course. Seemed ok. But I will report back after we get some rain on my findings. I do have one prying question...WHAT DOES REMOVE A GLASS COATING? Mc Kess glass restorer? Mr clean eraser? Comet? APC?

Thanks.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    I do have one prying question...WHAT DOES REMOVE A GLASS COATING?

Thanks.
    Any abrasive polish will do.

12. Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast