autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I found a system that is as good as Dr. Colorchip.....

I have always been a do it youself kind of person. I was thinking about getting Dr. Colorchip, but paying that much for touch up paint and a solvent just didn't seem right. I know Dr. Colorchip paint is designed so the "blending solution" will work. I think they just put some paint thinner into the touch up paint. The system I use which I use for very small chips (less than 1 mm in diameter and not deep) is a combo of dealer touchup paint and nail polish remover. I get these very tiny chips on the front of my car, some of them about the size of a pinhead. So I used one of those tiny touch up brushes or a tooth pick and put in a tiny dab of touchup. Then I let it dry for about 5 minutes and carefully remove the excess with the acetone. It does not hurt my good paint and it seems to blend it nicely. I guess waiting longer, like waiting an hour might be better. I just want the paint to harden somewhat but still be workable. Remember, these are for very small chips some the size of a pin point to 1mm. The kind of damage you get from very small pebbles and dirt. Curious what your thoughts are about this? I could include pics.

2. Likes ChristyZ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I found a system that is as good as Dr. Colorchip.....

Sounds like a good method. Im like you, thats to much money for what it is. I have a bunch of places I need to touch up on my truck. I have a 3 in 1 touch up pen. It works good but a lot of the spots are high after adding paint. I'm trying to figure out how to level it with the original paint. Did you have that problem?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve read about people doing this, and some people comment this on the dr ColorChip videos on YouTube as well (from what I remember.)

For what it’s worth, when I went to town touching up a gigantic amount of spots on my car, I missed a couple when leveling (guess that speaks to the fact that speaks volumes about it camouflaging the chips) and emailed them about what they’d recommend I do to level them.

They recommended putting 10 drops of sealact into something, and adding a drop of acetone and mixing it up, then working the areas with a q tip. Adding a drop of acetone until it started to soften/break down the paint.

I’ve been meaning to get around to doing this but I’m very lazy. If it levels it nicely I may just let all the tips I touch up harden and do it that way exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks DEwalt thanked for this post
    Likes DEwalt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing , but I use brake clean as the solvent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEwalt View Post
    Sounds like a good method. Im like you, thats to much money for what it is. I have a bunch of places I need to touch up on my truck. I have a 3 in 1 touch up pen. It works good but a lot of the spots are high after adding paint. I'm trying to figure out how to level it with the original paint. Did you have that problem?

I have not had a problem leveling because I am very careful how much paint I put in the defect. Someone said a q tip might even work better. I am just wondering what is the optimum amount of time I should wait before removing excess?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use the clear coat portion on the factory pen too? I think I am going to try with just dr color chip and a tiny brush and see how it comes out.

I have dr color chip and also langka blob eliminator on hand. need to buy tiny brushes

Post Thanks / Like

One of our cars had lots of small/tiny paint chips on it. Green car, and the little chips looked whitish. I was going to use touch up paint to try and fix it, but while cleaning the front, I noticed that the little white marks disappeared when wet. I figured it was just the clear coat that was damaged and didn't use the touch up green paint, and just used the clear coat touch up. Really hard to see the chips now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgeallen1 View Post
    Do you use the clear coat portion on the factory pen too? I think I am going to try with just dr color chip and a tiny brush and see how it comes out.

I have dr color chip and also langka blob eliminator on hand. need to buy tiny brushes
    No I don't use clear coat. I try to avoid that if possible. I find adding clear just makes the spot too shiny and it will stand out as a very small shiny circle. So nope. I do think if have more extensive damage , say 1 mm in diameter chip, adding clear would be a good idea if you can get it to blend. Most of my spots are too small for clear coat. I add just a fraction of a drop of touch up paint to get the results I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Acetone is clear coat safe?!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mess with clear coat either. The spots I touched up look really good without it.

When you say sealant do you mean something like Jescar Power Lock and the other products we use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast