autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions About Car Wash Bucket Kits

Hello everyone. I have some questions about the car wash buckets kits sold in the online store. The kit would be for me. It would be for the DIY guy and not the pro detailer. My current bucket is a flinsy household buck that might hold two to three gallons. I have a green Walmart fiber-ish wash mitt. My brushes are Mothers and thanks to the folks of this forum I have a very nice Griots drying towel. I am seeking value in the kit, the best bang for the buck. I am not concerned with the best but rather great value. I think I need a nicer wash mitt, quality bucket, and grit guard. If you were going to purchase a kit for a DIY guy, what would you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About Car Wash Bucket Kits

Dude, honestly I would forgo the bucket kits. A lot of them are upward of 80-90 bucks.

Grab a 5 dollar bucket from Home-Cheapo, then get some Meg's Hyper wash or Optimum Car wash and a micro fiber starter kit here on AG. One with a micro-chenille wash mitt.

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i use homedepot $5 5 gallon buckets and cant see paying anymore for the bucket.

1 orange homer which is the rinse bucket and 1 white which is shampoo bucket..both have grit guards

i have a wash mitt that came with a kit purchased elsewhere..some microfiber wash mitt...i use the long handle mothers tire brush..which reminds me i have a boars hair tire brush i bought at AG which i need to try.

i use mckees car wash which works well...but not sure about that 2 pumps per 5 gallons they market...i use about 4 pumps of their wash for a good sudding volume per 4 gallons

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea. Alright maybe the kits are not that great of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Dude, honestly I would forgo the bucket kits. A lot of them are upward of 80-90 bucks.

Grab a 5 dollar bucket from Home-Cheapo, then get some Meg's Hyper wash or Optimum Car wash and a micro fiber starter kit here on AG. One with a micro-chenille wash mitt.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Just get a grit guard and a couple wash mitts.

I think the style of mitt (chenille, microfiber, wool...) is personal preference. Just like some prefer a sponge or towel.

I’ve been using these mitts for rinseless and traditional washes and like them.

Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt

I’ve never been a fan of the nubby chenille mitts, but that’s just me.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
    Good idea. Alright maybe the kits are not that great of a deal.
    If the kits were say, 40 bucks (roughly half price), I'd say go for it. But, I believe it is possible to put together your own "kit" of your own choosing for just few bucks more.

Just something to chew on.

In the end, the choice is yours. I am certainly not trying to dissuade you from anything you might have had your eye on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    If the kits were say, 40 bucks (roughly half price), I'd say go for it. But, I believe it is possible to put together your own "kit" of your own choosing for just few bucks more.

Just something to chew on.

In the end, the choice is yours. I am certainly not trying to dissuade you from anything you might have had your eye on.
    this....buy the kits if you like them..

however u buy buckets..id siggest 2 diff colors so you instantly discern your shampoo and rinse bucket...which is why i have a white and orange...and every now and them i still dunk the mitt in the wrong bucket...but they both have grit guards

10. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if there is nothing extremely special about the quality of the buckets or the wash mitts....then it is back to Wally's World. Last I looked the blue Walmart branded bucket was under $3 each. So, there is no major difference in the various wash mitts, just personal preference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toolhead View Post
    this....buy the kits if you like them..

however u buy buckets..id siggest 2 diff colors so you instantly discern your shampoo and rinse bucket...which is why i have a white and orange...and every now and them i still dunk the mitt in the wrong bucket...but they both have grit guards
    I have gotten into the habit of using numerous towels/mitts. One fresh towel/mitt out to wash a panel, and into the dirty bucket it goes.

Never reintroducing dirt/grime back into the wash bucket.

Not a new technique by far, but one I have become a huge fan of.

13. Likes GEM65, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
    Well if there is nothing extremely special about the quality of the buckets or the wash mitts....then it is back to Wally's World. Last I looked the blue Walmart branded bucket was under $3 each. So, there is no major difference in the various wash mitts, just personal preference?
    Plastic buckets are plastic buckets.

I happen to believe that there are differences in Wally to AG mitts though. I'm even more into MF wash towels now. (8 wash sides instead of 2)

The difference between Wally's soap (It may still bear the Meg's name) and something like their Hyperwash is measured in light years IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast