autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire coating or not?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Tuf Shine coating and cleaner arrived. I got two tires coated so far. The tires I coated have 4K miles, have never had dressing and have been cleaned with a brush dozens of times. I figured no issue with the cleaner. Wrong.

As soon as I hit them with Tuf Shine cleaner brown stuff was running down them. Scrubbed them. Spray again. Repeat a few times. 4-5 times before I had relatively white looking cleaner foam. It was never completely white on the brush, but after 5 times I called it good. I also scrubbed with water to get any soap off the tire. Coating is a couple of days old. Looks fine. A little shinier than I like.

Reading above... if I have to re-coat ever 4-6 weeks I may as well stick with a dressing. I'll see how it goes and maybe try McKee's if this doesn't have better durability than that.

FYI, I also tried cleaning with APC. Tried at 1:1 and straight with 3 of them. They all get the brown out but not as well as Tuf Shine cleaner.
    Took me 15 cleaning cycles to get completely white foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I'll keep going on the other two tires and see how long it takes. I'll need to get a gallon of tire cleaner.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Just did one tire with APC at 1:1. Took about 7 cleanings before it was white. Then followed up with Tuf Shine cleaner. Still white. It seems APC is adequate. Tuf Shine cleaner may work a little faster.

Edit: just did one of my Nokian winter tires. Perfectly white on the 2nd cleaning with APC. Did a 3rd with Tuf Shine cleaner to be sure. Still white. As others have mentioned the browning coming out seems to vary by brand. Not overly thrilled the summers tires I have on now in this regard (Hankooks).

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So far going it's going well. No idea on longevity yet, of course.

Finished my winter tires and did the Pirelli's on the wife's Boxster, so 12 tires coated so far. The Pirelli's took 4 cleanings with Tuf Shine cleaner, 5-6 with OPC at 1:1. I'm using Mike's recommendation and applying with a brush. This is working better than a sponge for me.

Eager to see how it holds up when the rain starts in a few weeks.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a couple of weeks on the Rover tires. Still looking good despite not cleaning them. This is what they look like after driving in rain.

A little more shine than I like, but not too bad. With the heavy texturing on these tires there's no way to apply the coating thinly. Even with a paint brush it settles into the nooks and crevices. Just very little smooth area on these tires.

One side effect: it's now far more apparent how crappy everybody else's tires look. A few look ok. Some look bad. Most look terrible.

8. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Diner, Finick, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You’re making it difficult for me to keep myself from ordering a tire coating..

The last two times I cleaned my tires I didn’t put anything on them, and tbh I think I like the look of just a clean tire.

Makes me wonder if I’d just be happy scrubbing them with a dedicated rubber cleaner and calling it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say. I prefer more of a dull or satin look as well. While I don't like the shine, they do look excellent and are staying far cleaner than before I coated them. Maybe check back in a few week and see how it's holding up. I wouldn't want to do this every month. Every 4-6 months would be no issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to do this every month. Every 4-6 months would be no issue at all.
    Do you mean stripping the coating and redoing it? In the review that Swanicyouth did, linked earlier in the thread, he gave a long term update in which he said he's never had to strip the coating off. He instead just uses a mild cleaner (I think he said in the pictures during that particular post he was using a CGs wheel cleaner) to go over the tires, and then throw an extra coat on to the tires to freshen the look up.

Almost seems like once the coating is prepped and applied properly, and bonds, you shouldn't ever have to strip anything off if you want to keep using it. Just apply regularly(ish) and they'll always look great.

That's probably the biggest selling point of a tire coating to me. Only having to quickly go over my tires even once a month would still seem worth the effort of putting the product on. Depending on the look you like to go for, you could probably stretch that quite a ways I'd imagine.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a couple of weeks on the Rover tires. Still looking good despite not cleaning them. This is what they look like after driving in rain.

A little more shine than I like, but not too bad. With the heavy texturing on these tires there's no way to apply the coating thinly. Even with a paint brush it settles into the nooks and crevices. Just very little smooth area on these tires.

One side effect: it's now far more apparent how crappy everybody else's tires look. A few look ok. Some look bad. Most look terrible.
    Do you have a metrovac sidekick? That works very good getting the tire coating into the grooves. Also helps cure the coating in between applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    That's probably the biggest selling point of a tire coating to me. Only having to quickly go over my tires even once a month would still seem worth the effort of putting the product on. Depending on the look you like to go for, you could probably stretch that quite a ways I'd imagine.
    If it needs to be applied once a month I'm not seeing the advantage over a dressing which is easier to apply and needs less cure time. My other issue is this is tough to do in the Winter. For an outside car dry days generally don't exist here between Nov 1 and March 30 (roughly). Would be good if something could go that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Do you have a metrovac sidekick? That works very good getting the tire coating into the grooves. Also helps cure the coating in between applications.
    I don't have one. Will consider it. Blowing it into/out the groves is an interesting idea. It wasn't hard getting product in - it was hard not having it pool there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast