autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning window rubber residue off of window glass

I have a situation were the rubber trim that seals the top of the windows in the doors of the car has flaked off and bonded to the glass inside and out. I thought it was bird sh** at first, but then after talking to a few people, between 2007- and 2012 toyota used some rubber that would deteriorate a little and it would actually stick to the window.

I don't want to damage the factory window tint and though about a green scotchbrite pad or a sponge. The sponge was not hard enough to get the residue off. Any ideas how to get the residue off from the window rubber?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning window rubber residue off of window glass

I do TONS of Camry's between 2002 and 2010. I have a buddy who sells used cars and only buys Toyotas. Last year I did 6 Camry's and 7 Corollas for him. This year I have done 2 of each so far. Both cars have this same problem, Camry more than the Corolla.

Every time what I use is a razor blade, if it is factory tint then the glass itself is internally tinted, there is nothing stuck on the inside of the window. MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT AFTERMARKET TINT ON IT BEFORE USING A RAZOR BLADE. Never saw factory tint glued on and never had a problem with the razor causing damage to the window when factory tinted.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

Every time what I use is a razor blade, if it is factory tint then the glass itself is internally tinted, there is nothing stuck on the inside of the window. MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT AFTERMARKET TINT ON IT BEFORE USING A RAZOR BLADE. Never saw factory tint glued on and never had a problem with the razor causing damage to the window when factory tinted.

Good advice.

If the window does have a plastic window tint film, try using a product like Goo Gone or even a non-cleaning car wax. Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax is a non-cleaning Carnauba Car Wax. The oils in the wax will help to loosen and dissolve the dried rubber residue from the window gasket.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced this. A few methods have worked for me.

1- aggressive clay
    2- plastic razor blade and window cleaner
    3- razor blade and window cleaner.

Try in that order

Options 2 and 3 are out if it is aftermarket tint as stated above.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I tackled this job a month ago on my 2008 Camry. I used window cleaner as mine had aftermarket tint on the inside. It did not remove all of the rubber so tried being very gentle with an old razor blade and no pressure. It worked, but after more cleaning I found micro scratches on the film edge. It was not an issue as it disappears into the gasket track and cannot be seen.

I would stick with the suggestions from Mike Phillips and try the goo-gone product. Try it on the top edge of the window if you do have the film tinting with something small like a cotton q-tip. If no issues with the tint film give it a go and bug rag should be good if need a non-abrasive cloth or even use a cheaper MF-cloth. Try to get a brush into that track or else wrap a MF-towel around the end of a toothbrush handle and clean out the best you can.

After you are done cleaning that stuff off, mine came off all the four windows in a short time. Plan to then treat the gasket with a good rubber or vinyl protectant. AG has many to choose from. I used this trick to get into the window gasket shown in the two photos. Get a 1-inch or bit larger foam brush and spray that with the product and then get inside the window track and treat those surfaces. This should prevent future sticking. Have fun!

What I used for the job.
    Cleaning window rubber residue off of window glass-img_2162-jpg

Using the brush in the window gasket
    Cleaning window rubber residue off of window glass-img_2163-jpg

PS: The tip for using these brushes in interior detailing came via Scott Bley with Dallas Paint Correction. He used them for cleaning vents and similar areas in the front grills. Works great for this too!

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have aftermarket tinting on the windows, it is all factory. I have done the 0000 steel wool on the outside of the windshield before applying a polymer rain treatment and the steel wool works great, but I know steel wool will tear up window tint.

I saw that Llumar just came out with a new window tint that is like 10% better than the previous generation and I want to get that done. I just wasn't sure how aggressive I could get on the factory toyota windows if they are tinted. I want to do the inside of the back window as well.

The steel wool got all that thin film of crud off the front windshield. I wet lubed the windshield with spray away foaming glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I can see with a goo-gone type product on an aftermarket tinted window is that the goo-gone could make the tint glue GONE. The edge of the tint up by the top of the window would be VERY susceptible to soaking in some goo-gone and peeling the tint, specially in the case of the Camry/Corolla where that tint already rubs on the rubber every time the window is rolled up already. Loosening that glue up there would make a mess real quick.

Nakranij- As I said before, IF YOU DONT HAVE AFTERMARKET TINT THEN YOU CAN USE WHATEVER YOU WOULD NORMALLY USE ON ANY WINDOW, YOU WONT SCRATCH IT OFF BECAUSE IT IS BUILT INTO THE GLASS. The glass itself is tinted there is NO EXTERNAL FILM ON THE WINDOWS FROM THE FACTORY.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

9. Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a few GM cars that this happens to as well so after you do what dcredline suggest rub some some Sil-Glyde on the rubber with your finger,,don't goop it in there as a light film is all you'll need,,this will prevent further sticking.

there is also a product called door ease stick lubricant that may work (I haven't used it) .both are made by AGS and available at any hardware or parts store.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

So I hit Home Depot this morning and picked up the gel goo gone product and sprayed some on to a sponge/scotch bright pad and applied it. I let it soak for a few minutes on each window and started scrubbing. I would say that I had to scrub for about 4-8 minutes per window to get it all off, but it came off.

Then I used that foaming Sprayaway high quality glass cleaner and got the rest of the goo gone gel off the windows and they are clean now.

My next question is, I can see where the spots are on the rubber (with the window down) were it had come off. How do I repair that or clean that? Is ISP good to use to prep the rubber? (I don't want to dry it out) and then I am thinking about using Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer to turn it black again.

I just don't want any more of it coming off on the windows.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only guess that the spots you are seeing on the gasket are small pits where the rubber was on the window. If that is the case nothing can be done to that now. Just find a product to lightly coat the gasket. Similar products mentioned by Farmallluvr will work on most rubber treatments. Sounds like you are almost done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast