autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Plz help: Which all-in-one goes with ceramic coating?

Hey folks, looking to get some feedback on a detailing approach id like to take on my car. Would appreciate any feedback.
    Some background: I own a Honda Civic 2010 that I detail (or try to) annually. Last year when I tried doing a 2 step process I only managed to get the first step done- Maguire’s M105 (I don’t own a garage and have to borrow one from my friend when possible). I didn’t get round to doing the M205 and just used a sealant and wax as time ran out.
    This year I figured I’d try an all in one approach with a ceramic coating (cquartz) to protect the paint better. Here’s what I’d like to do

1. Clean wheels and use Autoglym Magma
    2. Wash rest of car using two bucket method and clay bar.
    3. Rinse and dry car
    4. Use Menzerna 3 in 1 polish, gloss and wax with PC 7424xp with white or orange LC CCS pads
    5. Carpro’s cquartz v3.0 ceramic coating (2 coats at least)

Some questions I had:

1. I have Collinite Marque de elegance Carnuba wax also. Is it ok to use it between steps 4 and 5 with a black foam pad.
    2. Do I need to use any paint prep/pre wax cleaner after the Menzerna 3 in 1 before using the cquartz ceramic coating.
    3. What kind of paint does my Civic have (soft or hard).
    4. I want to use an all in one product as I don’t have time and didn’t want an aggressive polish like the m105 since my car’s paint depth is under 3.0 on average. Is this a logical approach
    5. Should I switch the Menzerna AIO with HD Speed? Would that work well with the LC white CCS pads I have?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike Phillips

Re: Plz help: Which all in one goes with ceramic coating?

Hi bigjee

You need to chemically strip the paint before applying any ceramic paint coating.

Most established coating brands have their own product, generically called a

Panel Wipe

To chemically strip the paint. The idea being you need to remove any residual oils or other substances left behind on the surface from the last step before applying the coating so it will make a proper bond.

I think I have a ton of information typed out in detail on this forum on this topic. Probably more than anyone breathing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plz help: Which all in one goes with ceramic coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi bigjee

You need to chemically strip the paint before applying any ceramic paint coating.

Most established coating brands have their own product, generically called a

Panel Wipe

To chemically strip the paint. The idea being you need to remove any residual oils or other substances left behind on the surface from the last step before applying the coating so it will make a proper bond.

I think I have a ton of information typed out in detail on this forum on this topic. Probably more than anyone breathing.

Thank you for the quick response Mike. Love you work and feel honored to be able to read your material. (sorry Im on a time crunch so was asking here since I have lots going on in the background and didnt want to neglect my car).

As for the steps- would something like this work (its by the same manufacturer as the coating-Carpro).
    Eraser – CarPro
    Also do I use the eraser after I've used my Collinite (do I even need to do this wax step before the coating?)

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plz help: Which all-in-one goes with ceramic coating?

Make sue you have a nice garage to work in with plenty of lighting. I would recommend that you use this garage for at least 2 full days if you're going to be applying a ceramic coating to your vehicle. Prepping the vehicle is very time consuming. You do not want to rush a coating job.

Also make sure that you have plenty of Foam Pads and Microfiber Towels on hand. You're going to need them.

Wash
    Iron Remover
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Panel Wipe
    Ceramic Coat
    Let coating cure for at least 12 - 24 hours

5. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not recommended to use an all in one with a coating. The coating needs to bond to bare paint. In other words skip the menzerna 3 in 1 if you plan to use a coating.

You can use a polish and see how much of the defects you can remove. Just remember to use a prep wipe product to remove the polishing oils. For example CarPro Eraser.

The other option is using a primer polish like CarPro Essence. Sort of like an all in one but the difference being that it is compatible with Cquartz. It does contain abrasives and will remove some defects. It will also leave some semi permanent fillers for light swirls. Also I would recommend a prep wipe if using Essence as well to remove any residual oils. It will not remove the SiO2 it deposits on the surface.

7. Likes oneheadlite, dlc95, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Pro Primer Polish, Gyeon Q2 Primer, Britemax Virtue and CarPro Essence Extreme Gloss Enhancer are all considered a one-step product for ceramic coatings. These are extremely fine polishes and are perfect for prepping a brand new vehicle for a ceramic coating.

BLACKFIRE Pro Primer Polish
    GYEON Q2 Primer 1000 ml.
    Britemax Virtue SiO2 High Gloss Primer Polish
    CarPro Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer 500 ml

9. Likes VitreousHumor, D.BRITT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is not recommended to use an all in one with a coating. The coating needs to bond to bare paint. In other words skip the menzerna 3 in 1 if you plan to use a coating.

You can use a polish and see how much of the defects you can remove. Just remember to use a prep wipe product to remove the polishing oils. For example CarPro Eraser.

The other option is using a primer polish like CarPro Essence. Sort of like an all in one but the difference being that it is compatible with Cquartz. It does contain abrasives and will remove some defects. It will also leave some semi permanent fillers for light swirls. Also I would recommend a prep wipe if using Essence as well to remove any residual oils. It will not remove the SiO2 it deposits on the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    Make sue you have a nice garage to work in with plenty of lighting. I would recommend that you use this garage for at least 2 full days if you're going to be applying a ceramic coating to your vehicle. Prepping the vehicle is very time consuming. You do not want to rush a coating job.

Also make sure that you have plenty of Foam Pads and Microfiber Towels on hand. You're going to need them.

Wash
    Iron Remover
    Clay
    Compound
    Polish
    Panel Wipe
    Ceramic Coat
    Let coating cure for at least 12 - 24 hours
    Thanks!
    My friend isn't using the garage for a week so I think I have enough time to get this done.
    I have 4 pads each of white, orange and yellow plus a black one. About a 100 cookie monster MFs.

How do these steps sound:
    1-Wash
    2-IronX or Magma
    3-Clay bar, Rinse and dry
    4-CP Essence
    5-CP Eraser (for Panel wipe for Mike and others above)
    6-Ceramic coat

For Step 4 (since this is an older vehicle) will I need to do M105 before the Essence if it isnt aggressive enough at removing a majority of swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe (Essence guys correct me if I’m wrong) that if you purchase Essence, it can replace M205 as your finishing polish, and the panel wipe after Essence would not have to be as thorough as the panel wipe you would need to do to remove the very oily M205 residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigjee View Post
    Thanks!
    My friend isn't using the garage for a week so I think I have enough time to get this done.
    I have 4 pads each of white, orange and yellow plus a black one. About a 100 cookie monster MFs.

How do these steps sound:
    1-Wash
    2-IronX or Magma
    3-Clay bar, Rinse and dry
    4-CP Essence
    5-CP Eraser (for Panel wipe for Mike and others above)
    6-Ceramic coat

For Step 4 (since this is an older vehicle) will I need to do M105 before the Essence if it isnt aggressive enough at removing a majority of swirls?
    These steps look fine. You will have to determine what will work on the paint based on the initial test spot. Here is the thing at least from my perspective. You don't have to remove every defect. If you are happy with the results pending the test spot then by all means continue and finish. It is a daily driver after all and not a show car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I believe (Essence guys correct me if I’m wrong) that if you purchase Essence, it can replace M205 as your finishing polish, and the panel wipe after Essence would not have to be as thorough as the panel wipe you would need to do to remove the very oily M205 residue.
    Sorry, ignore my blabber above. OP is on top of it. I think I misread something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast