autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather protectant

I applied Chemical Guys leather protectant a week ago. I was wondering whether wiping the leather surfaces with damp cloth (MF or terry cotton) would not undo the layer of leather protectant I applied.

I occasionally have to clean the interior as my car is a convertible. And according to a thread I posted several months ago, I learned that leather "conditioner" would be stripped off if wiped with damp towel. Would the same happen to leather protectant?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather protectant

Sub’d. Good question. I use the Mckees Leather Guard and wonder the same. I didn’t know conditioner would be removed so easily, but had always wondered.

Post Thanks / Like

If a damp towel wipe-down would happen
    to remove the protectant, couldn’t you go
    ahead and reapply some more of it?

{Note: That’s what I would usually do.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    If a damp towel wipe-down would happen
    to remove the protectant, couldn’t you go
    ahead and reapply some more of it?

{Note: That’s what I would usually do.}

Bob
    Yes, Bob. For a parent of a two year old, that can turn into a lot of reapplying (on a weekly basis, or more often)... so it would be nice to know whether it’s really necessary, or at least recommended by the sellers.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiping down the interior takes less than 5 minutes. Vacuuming seats, applying the protectant, removing residue on interior trims, etc takes anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour...

7. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the label, the protectant is supposed to last a year... Can anyone verify that claim?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the protectant is still on the leather surface?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    According to the label, the protectant is supposed to last a year... Can anyone verify that claim?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the protectant is still on the leather surface?
    More of a question for CG don’t think it’s a popular product around here.

You get into the detailing marketing speak of “up to” duration of protection

If you take your seat and clean it with some APC then protect half and leave the other half unprotected and spray some water on the protected half what happens ? Also then wipe it and see how it compares to the unprotected side

Probably the only real way. Any time you wipe it, add friction from getting in and out with your clothes or body it’s gotta remove some. Cause you are not adding and the opposite of adding is subtracting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the longevity of "car" specific leather protectants, but I can tell you that I get about 2-3 months' protection out of leather protectants that are used in the equestrian world. I know I can't name brands, but if anyone goes through leather like horse people, I figured they must know what they're doing

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    Not sure about the longevity of "car" specific leather protectants, but I can tell you that I get about 2-3 months' protection out of leather protectants that are used in the equestrian world. I know I can't name brands, but if anyone goes through leather like horse people, I figured they must know what they're doing

Eric
    Yea but 99% of the people are going to say that automotive leather has an impenetrable “coating” so you’re not really protecting the leather, you’re protecting the coating.Leather protectantlol.

Btw, I’m part of the 1%Leather protectant

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend using a product like Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. A one-step leather cleaner & conditioner is perfect for what you are doing with your leather seats. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Agreed upon by leather care pros world wide, leather requires both cleaning and conditioning to keep it

A hot damp towel will help remove any oils and dirt on the surface of the leather seats. It will also help open up the pores on the leather seats, so you can condition the seats with your leather conditioner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast