autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather protectant

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    I applied Chemical Guys leather protectant a week ago. I was wondering whether wiping the leather surfaces with damp cloth (MF or terry cotton) would not undo the layer of leather protectant I applied.

I occasionally have to clean the interior as my car is a convertible. And according to a thread I posted several months ago, I learned that leather "conditioner" would be stripped off if wiped with damp towel. Would the same happen to leather protectant?

Thanks in advance.
    It will be fine to wipe the seats down with a damp microfiber towel.

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    According to the label, the protectant is supposed to last a year... Can anyone verify that claim?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the protectant is still on the leather surface?
    The protectant will not last a year. More like 3 months. Especially if the area it is applied to is constantly used. Meaning abrasion will remove it over time. On an area that sees no use then yes it will last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

So if I’m using Mckees Leatherguard protectant (advertised 6 months duration), then lightly clean with Mckees 70/30 cleaner/conditioner every 2-4 weeks - just the areas that get used, then hopefully I only need to do a full cleaning and re-application of Leatherguard every 4-5 months (this is me hoping that’s good enough).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    So if I’m using Mckees Leatherguard protectant (advertised 6 months duration), then lightly clean with Mckees 70/30 cleaner/conditioner every 2-4 weeks - just the areas that get used, then hopefully I only need to do a full cleaning and re-application of Leatherguard every 4-5 months (this is me hoping that’s good enough).
    Or you could use fast interior detailer for maintenance every week. Deep clean when needed.

4. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Or you could use fast interior detailer for maintenance every week. Deep clean when needed.
    Thanks Guz. So you would consider 70/30 as more of a deep clean and Fast Detailer as for lighter touch ups.. or do you consider them similar if used equally gentle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thanks Guz. So you would consider 70/30 as more of a deep clean and Fast Detailer as for lighter touch ups.. or do you consider them similar if used equally gentle?
    I have never used 70/30 so I am not sure how strong it is. Fast Detailer is pretty good though. Very mild but excellent for weekly wipe downs to remove that layer of dust and light dirt. Makes future cleanings easier.

7. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would apply Ultima Interior Guard Plus initially then it can be wiped with a damp MF as needed without removing the protection. Ultima last a really long tine for me but durability depends on how much use the leather sees.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I have a weekly customer who has numerous vehicles (truck, suv, 2 sedans, boat, 2 SeaDoos and a golf cart) which I take care of. When I first started working for him, he insisted I use CG leather protectant on his truck and supplied me with a bottle. After a couple of weeks, I asked him why he was so adamant about CG's product and explained to him that it provided virtually zero protection and was evaporated within a couple of days of applying it. I also told him I use 303 and the reasons why. He said the reason he insisted on CG was because he liked the smell of it.

**CRICKETS**

There just happens to be one of CG's stores, Detail Garage, about 5 miles from me so I stopped in one day before I was due to do his truck and bought a bottle of their leather scented air freshener which is exactly the ingredient in their protectant. When I did his truck the next time, I used 303 and sprayed the air freshener in the tuck. When I delivered it to him, I explained what the new procedure was and handed him the bottle with a huge grin on my face.
    The following week when I picked up his truck, he commented on the fact that the interior still showed signs of the 303 whereas the CG protectant never lasted that long.
    He's a happy camper and I don't have to apply a subpar product to a very, very nice $75,000 truck! (It was at SEMA last year).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leather protectant-kevins-truck2-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yea but 99% of the people are going to say that automotive leather has an impenetrable “coating” so you’re not really protecting the leather, you’re protecting the coating.Leather protectantlol.

Btw, I’m part of the 1%Leather protectant
    Yes, and 1% believe the moon landing never happened !

Post Thanks / Like

it's my un-scientific opinion that anytime you wipe or apply water and/or soap to any surface that you're removing some level of protection. This would apply to interior and of course as we know exterior surfaces. Simply rubbing your butt on the seat is removing it. Otherwise we'd never have to reapply any of this stuff.

that said, I think you're more obviously talking about "how much" and my thoughts are a slightly damp mf isnt' going to do a lot of damage. If it's safe for my lcd screen then that's a barometer I tend to use.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

So I don't know why my lather sit got damped and some kind of fungus has been grown up some spots so initially, I thought that it caused for my ac so I go to the

Spam link removed - Mike

but they told me to it has a leather problem so now what to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast