autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just Scratched my Faux Wood BMW 320i xDrive

Hi guys, I was using the vacuum at my local car wash and put a few hairline scratches in the wood between the passenger and driver seat. This is shiny and probably fake wood and I was wondering if you could recommend anything to get those hairline scratches out? Thanks in advance, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just Scratched my Faux Wood BMW 320i xDrive

Any light polish should do the trick. The problem is getting in the small areas. Try seeing what results you get by hand or try a Rupes Ibrid polisher if you have one?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Any light polish should do the trick. The problem is getting in the small areas. Try seeing what results you get by hand or try a Rupes Ibrid polisher if you have one?
    Thank you sir. Can you recommend a specific product? Keep in mind it's the panel that runs between our front seats. Only the lower part is scratched and they are hairline. It's a BMW faux high gloss polish. Thanks in advance, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2" pads for my rotary polisher and use them with light polishes. Works perfectly. I know the specific area you're referring to. I have a 335i.

By light polishes I've used Menz PO85 (3800), PO106(3500) and lately some cleaner sealants (M37 360 and HD Speed). If you don't have very small machine pads you could try by hand but a machine is going to yield much better results.

That clearcoat covering on the interior is softer than your paint so the ole "least aggressive to get the marring out" is highly recommended.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suprisingly, it is actually real wood covered by a clear coat.

I've received some scratches on mine in the past also and here was my solution:

1) For a piece that had some very light scratches, but was in a hard to get to place (Center console area), I laid down some nice glaze and then put down some sealant over it. Scratches dissipated. Since this area isn't exposed to the elements, this solution has lasted about 6-9mos. I do have to reapply it once or twice a year.

2) Had some more noticeable ones on the wood across the front of the dash on the passenger side. For this, I removed the piece from the car (took about 10mins) and dropped it off at my local detailer that I trust. He polished the wood and removed the scratches. Reinstalled. Done.