autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBMG and overlapping products....

As an enthusiast this is were the detailing forums come in. I read posts on products and their reviews , I buy on that along with free shipping / sales...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I always thought:

Pinnacle = Natural ingredients
    Wolfgang = German polymers and Technology
    BF = now pro detailer oriented what whatever works good.

I do find differences in most PBMG products but the end result usually works out well.
    It would be great if there was an official position on these lines.

As it's stands now I avoid all of them as it's not clear what's different between them and why I would pick one over the other.

The most successful way to sell as product is to sell at a high price to those that will pay it and also sell at a lower price to those that can't pay the higher price. You hit both markets and move the most product.

You make a sucker out of one of those buyers. I don't want to be the sucker.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

As it's stands now I avoid all of them as it's not clear what's different between them and why I would pick one over the other.

The most successful way to sell as product is to sell at a high price to those that will pay it and also sell at a lower price to those that can't pay the higher price. You hit both markets and move the most product.

I think they make some quality products and when they have a sale is when to buy.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Buying the lower price point would prevent the “sucker” tag, if the above is the belief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I'm losing what the point of this is. PBMG and any other companies can label anything how they want and charge whatever they want for it. Our job is to decide if it's worth the extra cost. If you don't think $30 glass cleaner is any better than $5 glass cleaner, don't buy it. There's nothing to complain about.

For decades GM sold essentially the same car as a Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile and whatever else at different prices. People bought the one the liked and in many cases they were practically the same car. It's called branding.

I have no idea what the difference is between a similar Blackfire and Wolfgang product. There's a ton of product info in these forums. Do some research and see what others have to say, or buy it, try it, and tell us. If you don't like it trade it or give it away. There's an active trading thread here that lets you swap products with others.

PBMG's job is to sell stuff and make money. Our job is to buy the stuff that works best for us at a price we're comfortable with.

Short story: I work at large company. Many years ago during an employee Q&A with the CEO somebody asked a question about why we don't just keep prices flat when we come out with new and better products. The CEO looked at him puzzled for a few seconds and responded "We're in business to make money." So is every other for-profit business.
    Best post I have read in quite some time.

Which pillows do I buy for the best comfort?
    Which dog food is best for my new puppy?

All subjective. Do research. Ask questions.

At the end of the day, it's all on you to decide.

The opinions and choices on here are both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Us veteran members can wade through the endless choices while still having our own path in mind.

Newbies might as well throw a dart at a board filled with product choices. UNLESS you read, ask, read, and ask some more.

No question is "Stupid".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes sudsmobile, KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a little easier when there was a DP line (now McKees). DP was the low cost/good value version in the PBMG lineup. Then you could “step up” to Pinnacle, Wolfgang, or Blackfire. Now the water is muddied when discussing which PBMG branded product is best. Pinnacle just came out with a new glass cleaner, is it better than Blackfire Glass Cleaner? Who knows? You just have to buy it and try it or not buy it and be happy with your current glass cleaner. I’ve been around for awhile and I have my favorites and unless there is some kind of new technology coming onto the market I will just keep using what works for me. It’s my job to be an informed buyer and it’s PBMGs job to make great products for me to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    All subjective. Do research. Ask questions.

At the end of the day, it's all on you to decide.

The opinions and choices on here are both a blessing and a curse at the same time.
    You nailed it. The internet, and this site in particular, is a great way to get product info.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    It was a little easier when there was a DP line (now McKees). DP was the low cost/good value version in the PBMG lineup. Then you could “step up” to Pinnacle, Wolfgang, or Blackfire. Now the water is muddied when discussing which PBMG branded product is best. Pinnacle just came out with a new glass cleaner, is it better than Blackfire Glass Cleaner? Who knows? You just have to buy it and try it or not buy it and be happy with your current glass cleaner. I’ve been around for awhile and I have my favorites and unless there is some kind of new technology coming onto the market I will just keep using what works for me. It’s my job to be an informed buyer and it’s PBMGs job to make great products for me to buy.
    As Paul said, do some research. McKee's is still here, so I'm not sure how it got muddied. Worst case buy something, try it, and write a review so you add to the collection of information here. And it's glass cleaner - how much better could it be? I can count on one hand the products I've bought here that weren't great. The dozens of others have all be quite good. I think it's about choices and preferences, not about one brand always being better than another.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

What you are describing is what economists call the consumer surplus. It is described here: Economic surplus - Wikipedia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123