autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills to use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Drills to use.

Alright, So first off I apologize if I have missed the answer to this already I did not notice it in my searching.

I got some brushes for carpets to save myself some time, Now I want to get a drill to use for them. My question is what is recommended to use, corded or cordless and what model, my main concern is will cordless ones be able to handle say a car with the carpet mats and trunk mat and or rubber ones if not both sets in the car will it be able to reliably spin that brush with pressure applied to clean the mats. I would assume a decent one yes but I do not use them enough to be sure. So anyone with experience in using the drill brushes let me know your thoughts please cordless or corded and what torque is an ample amount to do the jobs.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drills to use.

I use Ridgid cordless and a Ridgid job max with a right angel drill attachment. Both are monsters. The regular drill more so than the right angel. But any decent drill will work. Porter Cable, Dewalt etc. My advice to you would be to. Go cordless and get a lithium ion battery.

Welcome to the forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I was looking at a few at Lowes found a good deal on porter cable I will give them a shot. Thank you for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries bud. Pick it up and you’ll be set.

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike having multiple brands of battery and I want to be able to swap batteries between tools. I would consider what other tools you may get that could use the same battery. A few years ago I went with Milwaukee 12v mostly based on the number of tools available. It's been fine. For the best quality I would go with Bosch or Makita. For cost probably Porter Cable or Ryobi. I'm sure they're all adequate. I would avoid Harbor Freight.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

The new HF Bauer and Hercules brands have drills that are actually very nice. The Hercules tools look like they are as well made as Rigid, PC, Makita, etc. I think they are using the same battery as one of the big brands. Nothing like the Chicago Electric or Drillmaster crappy stuff they've been selling for years. The Bauer line looks well made too, but they are cheaper than the Hercules.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be - I haven't looked at the newer ones. Looking back I have regretted every HF power tool I've ever purchased. Even the ones bought as single-use and then to give away. They performed so terribly it just wasn't worth it.

Again, I prefer a brand that has a large selection of tools so I can use the same batteries. I have at least 8 Milwaukee M12 tools and all of them quite a bit. I can always keep adding and have battery compatibility. Today I would probably go Bosch. Not sure.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought a cordless 90 degree angle drill would be good for this. I never have tried one though.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It works really well in tight areas and use it more. But my regular drill has more power really nasty carpet. I would recommend the 90. Plus it has the added feel of using a polisher so it feels more natural to me.

11. Likes Mantilgh, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Ryobi products. They are cheapish but they have 100+ different tools that all use the same type battery. They have a large 4ah battery that I don't think I have ever run all the way dead but once and that was cutting off all the old decking screws with a reciprocating saw on my 12x18 deck. I want to get a 90 degree drill for my brush, I just did my front seats and floor with a regular drill and I think I would have more control with a right angle.

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast