autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 inch orbitals

Post Thanks / Like

6 inch orbitals

So I have a griot's garage 6 inch random orbital polisher and my local supply shop keeps trying to push the Rupes LHR15 Mark II or a newer Flex machine on me. I have never had issues with the Griot's machine. Is there really a big difference in them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6 inch orbitals

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    So I have a griot's garage 6 inch random orbital polisher and my local supply shop keeps trying to push the Rupes LHR15 Mark II or a newer Flex machine on me. I have never had issues with the Griot's machine. Is there really a big difference in them?
    IMO, yes. The Rupes has a 15mm throw instead of a 8mm which will correct faster. The Rupes has a soft trigger start instead of an on/off switch. The Rupes is much smoother and much more quiet than the Griots. The Rupes is made in Italy by their own plant instead of China.

They are two things going for the Griot. One, it carries a lifetime warranty and the cost.

If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed with the Rupes. You can put a 3.5" backing plate on your Griot and use it for tight areas.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the Groits will do it all. I have both and unless you are tool geek, there really is not a big advantage with a long throw in the real world for a hobbyist. I know others will disagree.

5. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option, replace the 6" backing plate with a 5" plate and get 5.5" pads on your existing machine.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine should NOT be the final word on the topic, but (as someone who is just now transitioning from a hobbyist just doing two vehicles to someone who wants to make money polishing cars), if I were remaining a hobbyist, I would stay with whatever you have. I started with an off-brand 6" DA, and it did fine. I upgraded to a Griot's 6" DA, and it was better. I'm looking to upgrade again right now, but only because I want to do this for profit. If it was just mine and my wife's car, I'd stick with what I have. It does 90 - 95% of everything I need it to do, and at what I estimate is 80 - 90% of the efficiency. The incremental improvement in quality and efficiency isn't worth the few hundred or more dollars you'd be looking to spend for a new piece of equipment if it's just for your own cars.

My 2 cents - Worth every penny you just paid for it.

9. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IME, my GG6 does 100% of what I ask of it. As Coopers stated, the 5" BP is a must in my opinion.

As for smoothness, I have used almost every power tool on the planet. In my opinion, the GG6 is smooth as hell for what is basically a converted 6" sander.

Would a Rupes be smoother? From what I have read, I would say it certainly would be.

But, I for one wouldn't shell out another 300 bucks for a little more smoothness when I can use my GG for 8+ hours and have zero discomfort.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a hobbyist who does an occasional detail for family and friends on the side. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and have been contemplating a second machine for some time. After some research and talking to Paulie last night I think I am sold on the Griots GG6. For a guy like me there is no need to spend $400+ on a premium long throw machine. I can reserve the Porter Cable to 3" pads and use the Griots with a 5" backing plate.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Griots has 15 and 21mm long throw machines also. The way they explained it is the Rupes machine is more balanced and tolerances are tighter so it is less fatigue. Right now I only use it on my Camry and Silverado. I might want to use it once a year on my parents Honda Pilot and CRV.

Doing 1 car is allot of work, the Pilot (the large tahoe like body style, not the new body style). I might enjoy the 15mm throw for faster work with larger panels and less fatigue would be nice too, but it is like $200 more for the Rupes. I don't know if I want the liability doing it professionally.a

I was looking at a 3 inch machine though for side mirrors and head light polishing where the 6 inch is just too big.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want to bang out cars quickly and aren't tolerant of pad stall, the flex 3401 would be an excellent choice and is a proven workhorse. if you want a long throw to compliment the GG6 (use a smaller backing plate and pads for smaller/areas), the G15/21 (cover large/open panels) would be a great addition (video below if you haven't seen it). if you only do your vehicles and a few here and there, the GG6 is all you really need. also.. in regards to GG tool quality (polishers), here's a quote from mike's reply (#31) in this thread...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Just to note, behind the scenes, Jeff Brown from Griot's and I are working on something to share about Griot's tool quality.

We don't need any mis-information on our forum.

Hang tight...

15. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you want to bang out cars quickly and aren't tolerant of pad stall, the flex 3401 would be an excellent choice and is a proven workhorse. if you want a long throw to compliment the GG6 (use a smaller backing plate and pads for smaller/areas), the G15/21 (cover large/open surfaces) would be a great addition. if you only do your vehicles and a few here and there, the GG6 is all you really need. also.. in regards to GG tool quality (polishers), here's a quote from mike's reply (#31) in this thread...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...hine+polishing
    Nice post, Allen.

I'm a little sick of hearing that old "Made in China" argument referring to the Griot's machines. As a whole, and rightfully so, we here in the United States have experienced the "Made in China" items that are really just awfully made.

"Crap" for lack of a term that wouldn't fly here. Things people routinely buy in Walmart. The companies that order these things to be made there want it done as cheaply as possible. Quality be damned. China obliges.

But, the Chinese aren't just a bunch of backward people with no skill. Remember, they are on the short list of countries that have built and perfected long-range nuclear armaments.

If you contract with China to assemble, oh......I don't know, the iPhone with all it's intricacies that billions rely on daily, China obliges.

Saying things that are "Made in China" are somehow inferior as a blanket statement nowadays is grossly misinformed and misleading to potential buyers from companies that pay for premium Chinese manufacturing.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes rangerbay, Finick, oneheadlite, SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast